Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena Question  (Read 797 times)

Lisa_Oz

Mirena Question
« on: March 10, 2023, 03:00:20 PM »

Hi, 

It’s been a while since my last post. I’ve had the worst year.  Peri hit me HARD and my intolerance to Utrogestan did not help. I tried it every way possible and then just gave up. My plan was to use the Oestrogel (when I upped from 1 pump to 2 in January, my mood finally started to improve) and get regular scans to make sure my womb was ok. I forgot that I had been referred for a Mirena and decided Tuesday at my appointment to try the Mirena again. I had it years ago and then had it removed because I think I freaked myself out worrying about side effects. The consultant was lovely and promised I could have it removed at any time if it caused any issues.

So, it’s been 3 days and I feel…good.  It’s been a long time since I’ve felt like this. I’ve slept the past few nights, better than I have in a long time. I guess my question is if it’s too soon to feel some hope that I just may have found my “balance” on HRT? I’m not sure how long it would take for me to feel a darkening in my mood if it was to happen on Mirena? Would it happen right away?

I was so sure Mirena would not work for me after reading so many negative reviews but I’m really hoping this could actually work for me and other women who don’t do well with natural progesterone!

Nas

Re: Mirena Question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 04:16:41 PM »

The mirena gets lots of bad reviews on here unfortunately.

What people forget, is that a. Utrogestan can cause as many side effects and b. the mirena only releases a small amount of progestin into the womb.

Only time will tell if it’s going to work for you, so you have to give it a chance. If you feel your mood darkening etc, then it would obviously be advised to get it removed.

Fingers crossed it does work and you are able to take oestrogen safely.

TJ1313

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 04:27:34 PM »

I had the Mirena fitted 8 weeks ago and I think its the best thing I have ever done, wish I had done it sooner, I am 50 and perimenopausal and was having horrible heavy periods, this seems to be helping a lot, plus contraception too which is a plus, no more pill to remember. I felt horrid on utro too and feel great now using this and my patches together, almost seems to good to be true x  Im glad its helping you too x

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 04:57:38 PM »

Thank you Nas. Yes I found it hard to find good reviews but realise often times only when you’re having issues with something will you post. My mood changes with Utrogestan were almost immediate so fingers crossed, this will work for me.

TJ that’s great to hear and such a hope for all of us that are intolerant to Utrogestan ! I’m 52 and peri menopausal too. I was using no contraceptive, which was risky! Thanks for sharing your positive story  :)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 06:11:57 PM »

I hated Utrogestan so went for the Mirena. I had my second one fitted last summer. Apart from spotting with first one I have had no side effects.

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 06:26:17 PM »

Thanks Tinkerbell! I was told to expect at least a few months of spotting, which I’m fine with. Just please, no mood issues like I had on Utrogestan.  It was like poison to me.

SarahT

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 01:09:34 PM »

I too am so relieved I had the Mirana coil fitted.

Having very noticeable cyclical mood swings (am peri so was still having stupidly regular periods) the utrogestan really made things worse.
Since I had the coil fitted in October, it has really helped my mad  cyclical mood dips. No more periods, I did have 3 months of spotting whilst things settled, but I have no regrets at all. Need to up my patches, but that's not  the coil fault..

Everyone is different for what works for them, some are happy on utrogestan, but I am an advocate for the Mirena coil -works for me.

SarahT

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 07:46:10 PM »

So I need to learn when to shut myself up... Just after posting that I have had no periods or spotting once the mirena coil had settled down.... I literally posted the comment, went to the loo and.... Bleeding. A mix of fresh and now 'old' bleed.

When the hell will things actually stay better for more than a week at a time? Just beginning to feel more confident and coping better with the stupid amount of symptoms and then am kicked to the floor with yet another step backwards.

How much more am I expected to be able to take? Sometimes it's just too much to bear. Sorry to rant but am sick of it all. Am 56 and so fed up with still after all these years having to go on  with this endless hijacking of myself by bloody hormones.

Please. Someone send something positive my way.
X

Nas

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 08:09:41 PM »

Hey Sarah,
I totally empathise!

I also have the mirena and patch and today, feel like death ( literally) Tummy ache, period pain, fatigue, irritability etc etc.

I cannot tolerate anything higher than the 75 patch, but feel so ill right now. What dose patch are you on? I’m wondering if my mirena has dislodged.

Have you just upped your patch? If so, maybe that’s why you are bleeding? Could it be a fibroid? Thin womb lining? Rogue period?

Wish I had an answer for you, but struggling so much myself today. My anxiety was so wretched, i could barely drive 😕

SarahT

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 08:20:30 PM »

Hiya Nas,
Am sorry also are having such a Crap time.
Just feels too much sometimes. I have the cramping today too, but luckily not my usual PMT Boob pain.

I am on Estradot 50 but just been prescribed increase to 75. I am going to start that Monday, but will cut a tiny bit on to hopefully avoid too big a change all at once.

I have had fibroids for many years, so not sure that will be the problem?  I am under a massive amount of stress right now so that may be it. Dunno. Like you Nas, I just feel awful today. Like the final straw.

Thanks for replying to especially as you are struggling so much yourself today. I wish I could help you too. I just needed some empathy. Appreciate you Nas.

Hugs to you, take care of yourself.

Nas

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 08:29:55 PM »

Yes I know what you mean. I’m also under stress too, just can’t seem to cope with any thing these days. Work, teens, the house, all seems too much.

I’m losing the will to try and fathom out what the issue is, I can tell you.

I kind of wish I’d never touched HRT now, it’s not been great. Women just weren’t designed to live through this crap.

Oh well Sarah, tomorrow is a new day eh? I hope you feel better soon. Take care xx

Lisa_Oz

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 12:14:56 PM »

Aww Sarah and Nas sorry you are both struggling.  Sarah, I am like you. I’m so afraid to say something is going right because I’m sure it will all go wrong once I do!

This is the hardest time of my life, by far. I’m very happily married but find no joy in anything these days. Just feel like I’m going through the motions. Have no desire to do most anything. 

I have been prescribed testosterone and may add that in once I’m settled on Mirena. Hoping that will help.

Hoping today is a better day for you both