Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Losing tooth enamel  (Read 647 times)

Hopeful2

Losing tooth enamel
« on: March 09, 2023, 09:32:30 PM »

Hello ladies.

Looking for some advice please. I am having rapid enamel loss on my teeth. I do have dry mouth and vit D not great. Has anyone else had this problem. Feel like everything is going downhill health wise never come out from GP thinking I'm getting anywhere 😓. Dont know if its deficiency, whether to go to GP or dentist?

Flossieteacake

Re: Losing tooth enamel
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 09:38:43 PM »

Hello Hopeful, this is very common in meno. I have read this when looking at meno symptoms. I think a dentist may be more helpful then a GP as they may be able to recommend special mouthwash or toothpaste. I know a friend of mine was given special toothpaste for another dental issue.

Dry mouth is so uncomfortable. You may find sucking sugar free sweets help a little.

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 10:49:46 PM »

Dentist is what you need and perhaps look into taking supplements, individually not in a multi vitamin mix.

Minusminnie

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 07:12:40 AM »

I hope you are registered with a dentist.  Not easy in our area for either NHS or private.

Amitriptyline made my mouth dry at one time and i used to chew sugar free gum which helped.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 07:15:10 AM by Minusminnie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 09:45:24 AM »

Dentist every time.  You may need to pay for a 1-off appt., but very worth while.  Also, do check your over all diet as some fruits can strip enamel off teeth.

Up your VitD intake for at least 3 months.  Your GP can do blood tests for low levels.

Let us know how you get on. 

Berto77

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 07:10:38 PM »

If you supplement with Vitamin D3 then take Vitamin K2 (MK7) with it, you can often get them together in the same supplement they work together to ensure good absorption to the right places i.e. teeth and bones. I've also seen that you can get special remineralizing toothpastes not sure how effective they are. My brother has thin enammel and he gets a high flouride toothpaste on prescription from his dentist to strengthen them.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 07:23:38 PM »

:thankyou:

Marchlove

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 09:22:35 PM »

Good advice regarding the vitamin D combined with the K2.

Fluoride though is a more controversial issue! It has many systemic effects which are not altogether desirable, so it’s worth researching before embarking on increased intake. Some would say that an overall reduction is more beneficial health wise.

It’s been a few years since I looked into the whole issue of fluoride so I don’t have any research links to hand. But just wanted to flag up some element of caution.

M x

Hopeful2

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 07:37:34 AM »

Good morning ladies. Thank you all for taking the time to reply and for all the good advice x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 08:18:04 AM »

I don't swallow my paste so how can fluoride in water help  :-\. In fact I HATE paste  :-X