Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1146 times)

EllieJ

Hello
« on: March 07, 2023, 06:38:51 PM »

Hi there. I'm 55, just started HRT patches (Evorel Conte) and have been struggling with peri menopause for a while. Feeling very low, empty nest syndrome not helping and hubby who tries but really just doesn't 'get' me this way. I had a difficult childhood and mental health issues I experienced back then have returned with a vengeance during this peri menopause stage. I have few friends, my life seems to consist of work (and I work alone so no social interaction there) eating and sleeping (or rather, trying to sleep!). I feel like I've lost myself. My children try to help by saying things like 'just go out and make friends' but I have no confidence and no energy. I've tried to think of hobbies I may enjoy but I just don't know where to start. I feel like a non-entity and I don't know what to do about it. Hopefully the HRT will work soon and things will get better. Anyway, that's me at the moment! Sorry for the miserable introduction!

Flossieteacake

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 07:17:58 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I admire your honest introduction. It is not miserable but real. :)

I am sorry peri has caused mental health issues to rise but it is sadly very common. As for going out and making friends it may help to build your confidence up. You have joined a lovely and supportive forum and you may even make friends on here. :)

It can take time for HRT to help with the psychological and sleep symptoms but you will get there.

It is hard to just think of a hobby and you may even be too low to think of one right now. This does not mean something will not interest you at a later date. You may like to consider therapy. I think therapy can be so helpful when we have low self esteem and have had a difficult childhood. Sometimes it take several bouts to help us.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 07:35:47 PM »

I agree with Flossieteacake.  Good advice and  :welcomemm: from me.

When you have energy we have threads on hobbies etc.; cycling, skipping, walking, pet keeping ........... when depressed I couldn't pick up a book or magazine nor watch TV as my brain wouldn't stop still long enough to follow a thread.  Don't worry about getting out and about, that will come. 

Keep well hydrated, eat little and often as this can ease any anxiety surges.  Have U had recent blood tests, i.e. thyroid function and VitD levels checked?

Be kind to yourself.  It's The Change - does what it says on the tin.  Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Let us know how you get on.