Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cold Turkey  (Read 1287 times)

Cold Turkey

• First Flush
Cold Turkey
« on: March 08, 2023, 04:36:44 PM »

Hi

It’s my first post today. My history is: PCOS in my 20’s, fertility treatment in my 30’s (Clomid) fibroid in my 40’s (still there) and last period July 2020 - ironically the same month that my Mum, 77, died of ovarian cancer. Diagnosis to death was 10 weeks. In Sep 2021 I felt broken by insomnia, night sweats, low libido, low mood, VA, UIT’s, fatigue and anxiety. A GP suggested HRT patches. I had been reluctant due to my Gynae history and my Mum’s but went ahead. Quality of life overruled length of life. Within days I felt great and all symptoms went apart from low libido. But my breast became very fibro-cystic. Sometimes I had pelvic pain like a UTI but no burning on passing urine. Looking back I should have connected it to the patches. I was on a 50 mg dose……I didn’t know that the dose could be lowered for instance. I began to wonder if it was too much for my body. I am 5”1 and 8 stone 4. I had a transvaginal scan in Nov 2022 and lining of the womb healthy and mammogram all good too. So I persisted with healthy eating (sugar/caffeine/wheat/free/low GI) and outdoor exercise, meditation and Yoga for managing stress. I have a supportive partner, great family and part time self employed.

Dec 2022/Jan 2023, I started to bleed in clear discharge and felt on fire internally. A GP jumped to refer me for a biopsy. But it took 4 weeks to hear from the hospital. Meanwhile i was anxious. Eventually Gynae said stop the patches and if bleed continues we will biopsy. The bleed stopped in 3 days. So that was it. Cold Turkey. No GP advice. It was like falling out of a plane. Every symptom I’d had before came back with a vengeance. The worst is the insomnia and I have just had a UTI from hell and antibiotics. The GP has come up with various reasons why I was bleeding. But is still offering more HRT. Either tablet or coil/gel - both better absorption than patches. She reckons that the fibroid prevented absorption. So i said why put me on patches in the first place if you knew I had a fibroid? Why did the bleed only start after 16 months on HRT with a fibroid there from the start?

My attitude at the moment is that I will try to cope with the symptoms without HRT. But not sure how long this will be manageable. I’m trying counselling, nutritional therapy, CBD oil.

Meno sisters - advice?

Flossieteacake

Re: Cold Turkey
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 05:10:25 PM »

Hello Cold Turkey and welcome to the forum. You have been thorough so much and I am so sorry you lost your Mum.

One thing I noticed is you have VA but did not mention any VA treatment. Were you given any because localised oestrogen is vital for VA.

I do not know the answer to your question about fibroids but I am sure somebody who does will reply soon.

It is awful the way you have not been given any support or advice. It may be worth asking your GP to refer you to an NHS menopause clinic as they will be the best people to know which HRT you can try. Sadly, many GPs do not understand meno at all.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 05:15:16 PM »

I agree with Flossieteacake - I would ring your surgery and ask for a referral to a dedicated NHS menopause Clinic - not a gynaecologist.  There are waiting lists even for private appts so getting onto a list may B the way to proceed.  U can cancel should symptoms improve.

Of course you would be anxious.  Another GP who doesn't seem to know much about peri-menopause.  It is unlikely to be a UTI - did a urine sample get sent to a lab for analysis?  ABs will ease symptoms but will not solve the loss of oestrogen which may cause the body to become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, between the toes, vagina, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils. .........

Let us know how you get on.  HRT may aggravate a fibroid.  As will suddenly stopping treatment. 

Cold Turkey

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 05:39:35 PM »

Thank you so much. R.e VA_ I have been given Vagifem but too scared to use any more HRT. I am using replens every 3 days on a morning, which is OK and sex less painful but gloopy messy on my pants (can’t believe I just said that!) there’s tiny specks fresh blood on the plastic applicator. I told the GP and she did not reply. 5 mins later she asked if I wanted an anti depressant…..and told me not to read side effects on any medications as I will just worry. That’s the point I lost total trust in her.

R.e NHS meno clinic - I am on the waiting list could be 6 months. I’m in Cumbria and the clinic is in Newcastle. Huge catchment area. If only I was in Dumfries and Galloway they are so “on it” there I’ve heard.

R.e samples yes gone to lab and no issues.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 05:57:28 PM »

You can get rid of the Replens as it won't replace oestrogen that is lost as we age, it can have some nasties in which may cause a reaction.

Begin the 'vagifem' tonight.  The idea is to use nightly for 2-3 weeks to encourage moister into the vaginal area.  Some ladies need to continue with it nightly or can go to every 3rd and 5/6th nights.  Many use a moistorir (sp) on the outer labia such as 'yes' or 'sylc' products; or 'ovestin' which is another option for VA.  Which is what I use, delivered by an applicator rather than a pessary.

It may take a few nights to feel a difference internally.  When I get the need2P I swallow 2 Nurofen capsules 3 times a day to ease that nip as th eurine flow shuts off.

One cannot over dose on HRT.  This isn't like other medications: HReplacementT : we tend to forget the 'replacement' word ;-).  Let us know how you get on. 

Is it snowing up there?  We love The Lakes and Northumberland ;-) - we have a holidays and cruising thread amongst others.  Do browse round.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 07:18:57 PM »

Thank you so much. R.e VA_ I have been given Vagifem but too scared to use any more HRT. I am using replens every 3 days on a morning, which is OK and sex less painful but gloopy messy on my pants (can’t believe I just said that!) there’s tiny specks fresh blood on the plastic applicator. I told the GP and she did not reply. 5 mins later she asked if I wanted an anti depressant…..and told me not to read side effects on any medications as I will just worry. That’s the point I lost total trust in her.

R.e NHS meno clinic - I am on the waiting list could be 6 months. I’m in Cumbria and the clinic is in Newcastle. Huge catchment area. If only I was in Dumfries and Galloway they are so “on it” there I’ve heard.

R.e samples yes gone to lab and no issues.

As CLKD said, Replens is known to irritate the skin. I like Sylk and Yes VM vaginal moisturiser.

Six months on the waiting list is quite good as many have a year to wait. I hope you can get an appointment soon.

No wonder you lost faith in that GP. Is it possible to see a different one in future? What a dismissive and poor attitude they have!

VA can cause bleeding due to the skin being thin and any friction. So if your skin is sore it makes sense you may have blood on the applicator but once your VA improves then this should improve too.

I use Ovestin every single day and have been using it for two years. I cannot reduce it or my VA flares up so I will use it daily for life.

You do not need to worry about saying anything on here so please do not feel embarrassed.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 08:46:26 PM »

Nowt is taboo or OTT - we talk about most things, even menopause ;-)

Let us know how you get on.