Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause 101  (Read 672 times)

SarahJayne

Menopause 101
« on: March 08, 2023, 11:09:15 AM »

Morning ladies!
So, brief history for context first.
No periods for well over 2 years, then last year 3 perfectly normal 5 day, 28 days apart periods April, May and June. Tested, poked, prodded, inside and out- all good. And inside I knew that was it. All done. Like a final fanfare before my reproductive system said Goodbye! But I do appreciate I’m not fully menopausal yet (3 months to go).
Anyhow, the last few weeks I’ve been having what I think are hot flushes, my face and neck get very warm, very quickly for only a few minutes. Happens at night as well, wake up a bit warm and damp. This came out of nowhere too, never had anything like it before.
Should this be happening now?

SarahJayne

Re: Menopause 101
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 11:10:04 AM »

Sorry, should have added, I take no HRT except for Vagifem.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 11:40:25 AM »

Hormones continue to rise and fall ...... so symptoms may appear unexpectedly down the line as it were.

How is the VA?  Would you like to ease the flushing or can you live with them?

SarahJayne

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 11:48:25 AM »

VA is manageable, use Vagifem 3 times a week. Can live with the flushing, just wasn’t expecting it. I did try HRT patches, wouldn’t try them again, dreadful mood swings and ridiculous bleeding. Seem to be managing menopause fine now tbh, just flushing took me by surprise.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 11:53:58 AM »

Like many, various symptoms can be a surprise! 

When I read 'menopause 101' I wondered whether you were asking which symptom/s we would put into 'room 101'  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 01:56:46 PM »

Hello SarahJayne

Your experience of flushes etc sounds fairly typical to me. I remember suddenly getting hot at night and wondering if we had left the heating on, it took me a while to realise I was having night sweats lol.

Perhaps you will be one of those lucky ladies for whom the menopause is not a problem. Are you taking any other supplements that could be helping do you think?

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

SarahJayne

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 08:17:30 PM »

Thanks for your replies😊

So it seems that after nearly 10 years of almost every type of perimenopause symptom coming and going, the flushing has finally caught up with me- just when I thought it was all over!

Honestly, I thought that once you hit post menopause, most things disappeared, hence the menopause 101, ah well, we learn something new everyday!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 08:42:24 PM »

Peri-menopause are the years leading up to the menopause = last period.  Once in menopause that's it.  We are there.  I don't understand 'post' menopause  :-\

How do you feel over all?

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 09:18:23 PM »

It can be a shock to find out that hot flushes, vaginal atrophy etc can often only begin once we are post menopause but oestrogen levels do continue to drop. Post meno though the other symptoms especially the mood swings and fatigue can begin to improve.

Taz x 

SarahJayne

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 09:05:34 AM »

Hi CLKD,
I guess I mean ‘post’ as in past all of the annoying symptoms that occur during peri. I genuinely thought that things settled down, not that I would go on to develop new symptoms. Although I have been menopausal for nearly 3 years, the clock reset after 3 odd periods last year.

SarahJayne

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 09:07:22 AM »

Hi Taz,
Yup, that’s what has happened, it’s taken me by surprise. Had VA for a while but I think it’s getting worse, so I’ll up the Vagifem.
Honestly thought things settled down. Oh well😊

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 09:54:50 AM »

Vagifem nightly for as long as necessary as well as a moistorisor for the outer labia.  Let us know how you get on!