Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 504 times)

Mollymoo

Depression
« on: March 07, 2023, 12:25:15 PM »

Good Morning Ladies
I went to my GP today with a list of symptoms written down. As soon as I walked in the door I cried and couldn't stop crying.
I had a blood test done a few weeks ago that showed my estrogen levels were perfect.
She said my symptoms are that of depression and my estogen levels are perfect. She said sometimes it's very easy to name our hormones. She has given me antidepressants, signed me off work for two weeks, and said I need to have therapy to look deeper into why I am feeling the way I feel.

I honestly thought she was gonna say let's try a different patch.

I trust my GP and i have been down in the dumps for a long time to the point that I don't   have a purpose anymore but honestly thought it was my hormones.

Just thought I would share my experience with you xx

Gilla999

Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 01:07:10 PM »

Molly I'm curious as to what your GP meant by "perfect".... Are you post meno or peri? And if Peri, which day in your cycle was the blood test taken and what was the result? xx

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 01:35:53 PM »

Hello Mollymoo,

Am sorry you are having such a bad time. I just wanted to say hello to you as your message struck a chord with me. Whilst not a doctor, I know that depression can be a standalone condition, but seems also to be a common symptom of hormonal changes. My crying spells would come right out of the blue, nothing in my mind, just almost a physical thing. My mood swings which include the crying, were very cyclical for me, and these have only lessened with other symptoms, as I went into mirena coil along with the estradot. The coil eventually stopped my periods (age 57, I ask you) a and in turn that helped  to stop the awful hormonal mood swings. So I agree with Gillla999, as to perhaps this depression may be linked to your peri\meno.

CBT has helped me recently, mental health support for whatever reason we need it, can help enormously, but to be honest, this forum also  helps me so much, both  with crucial information from those who experience these distressing symptoms and also the huge support and knowledge none of us are alone, even if we sometimes feel that way.

I wish you well

Mollymoo

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 03:42:58 PM »

Gilla, my estrogen blood test was 228.
I am on evorel conti patches. Went rbrough menopause at age 20, now 51 x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 03:57:48 PM »

Depression is stand alone. It can be exacerbated by hormonal upheaval: how were you B4 each period?  I sobbed every night B4 a bleed began, even if period wasn't due.  That was different from the depression I suffered ....... which caused me to sit. Staring at a wall.   :-\. for hours.

U have nothing to lose from taking a course for about 8-10 months to ease symptoms.  If U find you feel better B4, then you can wean off.  Nothing needs to be taken for ever.  If the oestrogen levels have evened out then ABs are probably the way to go.  What's to lose?

CBT was useless 4 me as my problems go back to within hours of being born.