Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Medication query  (Read 520 times)

roshbosh80

• First Flush
Medication query
« on: March 07, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »

Hi, first time poster here. I’m looking for a bit of advice/reassurance. So I’ve been on the combined pill (rigevidon) for many years with no issues. About 6 months ago my GP started me on Everol Sequi 50 patches for my peri menopausal symptoms. I have also been taking my pill alongside the patches as I wasn’t told otherwise. My GP has gone off sick and when I have put my form in for my repeat prescription I was phoned by the receptionist to say I wouldn’t be getting my HRT as it shouldn’t be taken with the pill.

No proper explanation given or information about any potential side effects taking these two together could have caused.  I have to wait 2 weeks to speak to the GP to discuss the matter.

I am right to be worried that I have been effectively given double the dose of hormones?
What worries me is that in the last few weeks I’ve had bad bloating, increased need to wee, pain in my right lower abdomen and discharge so now I’m over thinking that I’ve got ovarian cancer or something caused by the increase in hormones.  Any advice would be great appreciated x

Flossieteacake

Re: Medication query
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 07:11:38 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I had a little look and it seems the combined pill is not meant to be taken with HRT. You can use the mini pill or mirena coil with HRT. Please do not think you are ill. Starting HRT can cause all sorts of aches and pains as out bodies get used to it.

You say you need to wee more. It could be vaginal atrophy which most members on here (including me) have. This is were lack of oestrogen affects the vulva, vagina and bladder. It is treated with localised oestrogen and nothing to worry about at all.

It is annoying to just have your prescription cancelled and not explained to you. It is good you have an appointment in two weeks time. Hopefully then the GP can come up with a contraceptive you can take along side HRT.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 07:37:23 PM »

That is awful service from your GP!  Another one that seems to be mis-informed.  I doubt if you will come to any harm!

Do ask for vaginal atrophy treatment - you can ring the surgery and ask for appropriate medication, usually 'vagifem' or 'ovestin'.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out!

Let us know how you get on.

roshbosh80

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 07:52:45 PM »

I have been on vagifem for about 9 months for discomfort down below.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 08:00:15 PM »

I have been on vagifem for about 9 months for discomfort down below.

Do you use it daily? Using it twice a week is often not enough. You may find vaginal moisturiser helpful too. Yes and Sylk are nice and gentle.