Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Not sure I believe the GP here!- what do I do?  (Read 556 times)

VanillaLover

Not sure I believe the GP here!- what do I do?
« on: March 06, 2023, 03:00:04 PM »

Just been to GP to have mid cycle spotting investigated. Been referred to scan as uterus enlarged. That’s all ok. The spotting may be hormonal or linked to fibroids, polyps whatever I guess we’ll find that out.

Thing is, I’ve been on cyclical HRT (patch plus utro) for 18 months now. The utro makes no difference whatsoever to my own periods. I get my period whether taking the utro, not taking it and don’t have withdrawal bleeds. My periods have become much lighter than ever before and less painful over the last six months, fab. Cycle lengths still vary greatly 16-58 days my current records. I am 47 next month.

GP (very young - alarmingly so! female) said that after you have been on cyclical HRT for a while they suggest you go to continuous ie 100mg utrogestan every night.

I did say that I didn’t think it would make any difference to my periods doing that as the cyclical hasn’t (which she agreed with) but she thought it may stop the spotting. If not there is option to increase progesterone dose later which may also help.

(Assuming nothing found on scan that needs attending to)

I said I would try for a couple of months and then we’d reassess but I’m not convinced really.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Much obliged

Vanilla

sheila99

Re: Not sure I believe the GP here!- what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 03:33:30 PM »

My money would be on something else causing it. My own cycle always overrode the hrt one and I had very variable cycle lengths but I didn't have spotting. Are you up to date with smears? Maybe reassess when you've had the scan, it may show a cause for it. I doubt messing about with utro will make much difference but if you do go on conti I'd suggest taking it 25 out of 28 days as this will allow a bleed if there's been a build up.

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 03:33:38 PM »

Thank you. It does make sense from that perspective I guess.

VanillaLover

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 03:40:30 PM »

Sheila, yes last smear was 2020 and HPV negative but not had letter for next one yet (July this year). Dr did have a look at my cervix today and looked OK.

When being examined in the hours after having my youngest son one of the midwives did remark that she could feel a fibroid, was news to me. Never had anything done or investigated about that (he’s now nearly 13). So it didn’t massively surprise me that uterus was enlarged. However we shall see.

Thank you for your answer! I’ll have a think about what to do. Maybe might as well try now with the continuous while waiting for scan date (she said it’s normally a couple of months).