Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: But all my levels are normal?  (Read 1103 times)

canadagirl

But all my levels are normal?
« on: March 05, 2023, 05:56:42 PM »

Fresh back from the blood lab and all my hormone tests have come back totally normal.  I'm assuming this has to have happened to more than a few of you ladies?   Now what lol?  Cuz it's obviously perimenopause right???

Flossieteacake

Re: But all my levels are normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 07:58:28 PM »

I have read testing during peri is not reliable as hormones can fluctuate throughout the day. Also, a member on here pointed out they often look for levels that a post meno woman would have and compare them to that which means they will think you are fine if levels are higher then post meno.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 11:55:14 PM »

I agree with flossieteacake. Mine were 'normal for your age' when I was in peri. What day of your cycle did you have the blood test as this makes a difference.

Taz x

canadagirl

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 01:05:38 AM »

I haven’t had a period since September so I have no idea where I am in my cycle lol!

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 07:53:52 AM »

Hi canadagirl.  Can I ask how old you are ? x

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 10:01:30 AM »

In the UK the nhs don't test your levels because the results are so unreliable but go on symptoms instead. I'm assuming you're not from the UK? Is the problem that you need treatment but they won't give it to you without your levels being 'abnornal'? In peri they can change hugely from day to day and even throughout the day. Once you're meno levels are more stable (though they don't flat line for several years) but then what is is 'normal' may be a lot less than you feel good on.

canadagirl

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 08:04:48 PM »

Hi gang -- I'm 45 years old.  I haven't been actively seeking treatment - I just booked in with my doc as a starting point so I could bring her up to speed.  We didn't even discuss HRT or anything like that.  I'm not sure I'm there yet.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 09:22:05 PM »

I think that as you have missed a few periods then you are at the beginning of peri. Peri can last around eight years. Some women get menopause symptoms early into peri - hot flushes, vaginal dryness, mood swings and others don't get any symptoms until their periods have stopped. Some, of course, don't get any problems at all. It's good to know what your options are should you begin to experience symptoms.

Taz x

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 08:54:10 AM »

Another perspective.

I'm 46. In peri and am hugely symptomatic. But I do not need estrogen. My estrogen levels are either normal or sky high.

It's progesterone that plummets first. Some ladies clearly don't experience synptoms from this. But I very much do.

The NHS don't even test for it. So I was certainly told all my hormonal tests were fine. But I'm anything but fine.

Its taken me a long time to work out the cause of my peri problems.

Blood tests can be useful, but they're certainly not the be all and end all in peri. Good luck xx

canadagirl

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 03:29:09 PM »

For me mostly it's been irregular periods for a couple of years, hot flashes (although that seems to have stopped), weight gain ( I gained 10lbs seemingly overnight without changing anything really), weepy moods, insomnia, sore joints.   Nothing has been debilitating it's just been more of a "What is going on?" weekly battle kind of thing.  Seem to move into a different phase every month or so.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »

Peri-menopause are the years (? is the years ?) when we notice differences in period patterns: mine waxed and waned for several years; missing several months then a few periods, followed by same old.  Same old.  The blessing was that the pain and flooding disappeared.  In 2002 I noticed that I hadn't had a bleed for ages .......... we are supposed to count for 12 months without a period B4 we consider that we might be into menopause = end of periods.

However, Mother Nature might throw in a curved ball, so counting from 1 starts all over.   ::). Add to that hot flushes [which many GPs think that's it as far as menopause, along with no periods, goes  >:( ].  Aches and pains.  Brain fog.  Etc., etc., etc.  ::)

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, between the toes, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina  :o ; as well as the muscles becoming lax = aches and pains. It's The Change, does what it says on the tin  :D

Let us know how you get on. 

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 05:07:47 PM »

I don't think you need a blood test those are peri symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 05:34:26 PM »

Blood tests are reliably un-reliable as our hormone levels alter 24/7. 

Berto77

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2023, 09:57:41 AM »

Hi Canadagirl, I started HRT at 43 based on symptoms alone hot flashes etc as I was still having regular periods. I'm 45 now and still having a monthly cycle but at this stage unsure if it is a "true" period or HRT induced bleed. As others have said levels are unreliable as they change day to day. I was told the best thing was to ask for a trial to see if symptoms improved. I felt some improvment in less than a week after starting HRT.