Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can you wear more than one patch?  (Read 806 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Can you wear more than one patch?
« on: March 05, 2023, 11:43:20 AM »

Hi there,

Haven’t been on here for a while…..last time I posted I was about to try weaning off HRT. That didn’t work so let’s leave that one totally parked for a good while! I was on 4 pumps oestrogel but felt very nauseous 4 hours after applying. I tried split dosing the gel am & pm and that doesn’t work either. My doctor thinks it’s the surge in oestrogen that is making me feel nauseous so he’s put me on a 50mg patch but to top up with the gel (up to 2 pumps) and monitor symptoms.

I applied the 50mg patch for the first time yesterday morning and already I can feel an improvement. I slept better and I had more energy this morning. That was until I applied the oestrogel! A few hours later and I’m feeling very nauseated again. I really don’t think the gel agrees with me at all.

I’m wondering if instead of doing a patch/gel combo, that I trial moving onto just patches. I only have 50mg patches so my question is….could I apply two 50mg patches at once? I’m sure if I explained to my doctor that I fair better on the patches than the gel that he’ll increase the patch dose for me but I thought maybe I could trial this myself first with the prescription I have? I guess I could even try 75mg first with one 50mg and half a 50mg? I’m not sure if there’s a chance I would absorb better through the patch than through the gel……? I presume that’s a possibility?!

Flossieteacake

Re: Can you wear more than one patch?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 11:52:11 AM »

You can wear more then one patch at once but I think 100 may be a bit too much because you felt better after the 50. Perhaps you could see how the 50 goes and increase it a bit more slowly.

There are people who absorb patches better than gel so maybe you are one. With patches they can be increased or decreased gradually by cutting little bits off. It is fiddly though.

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »

Thank you Flossie, that’s a relief to know and yes, I think you are right…..I should see how I go on the 50mg patch first and then take it from there. I really don’t want to use that gel again at the moment! I’m pleased to know I can add another half patch if I feel I need it though 🙂

LSmarty

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 12:03:06 PM »

Hi

Cutting a patch in half won't necessarily make it half strength, there are different types of patches so you you should really get a 25 patch if you want to increase

Take care
Les xox

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 12:04:40 PM »

Thank you Flossie, that’s a relief to know and yes, I think you are right…..I should see how I go on the 50mg patch first and then take it from there. I really don’t want to use that gel again at the moment! I’m pleased to know I can add another half patch if I feel I need it though 🙂

You are welcome. I have often cut my oestrogen patch to increase or decrease.

Pippa52

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 02:00:00 PM »

Hi - I couldn't tolerate Oestrogel either - I was on it for over 20 years prior to the shortages with no problem but went back on it last year when it became available again and not only felt absolutely awful but I was not absorbing it at all and I think the formulation has changed in some way.  I am now on Estradot patches and working up to 75 patch (on 68 at the moment).  I have been  using a 50 patch plus 3/4 of a 25 patch over the last couple of week until I reach the 75 patch as have to increase the dose slowly as am stupidly sensitive to dose changes of oestrogen so it's taken a while to get to this level.  So yes I use 2 patches and yes my absorption has already gone up from 53 on Oestrogel  to 144 a few weeks ago and I have another blood test scheduled for the start of May when I will have been on a 75 patch for a while.  It is such a roller coaster trying to get it all right so I really sympathise with you and hope you can get to the level you need and that the patches suit you better x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 07:28:38 PM »

That’s interesting you couldn’t tolerate the oestrogel either Pippa. Can I ask what your symptoms were and how quickly they would come on after application? How long are leaving between each patch increase and how are you deciding to increase? Based on symptoms or a blood test? I’m inclined to rely on my symptoms and use the blood test as a back up but often you feel like you need to tweak your dose before your blood test is due  ::)

Pippa52

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 09:58:30 AM »

Hi Blue Kingfisher - re the Oestrogel a few hours after I applied I would feel pretty rough, faint, headachey, spaced out and generally unwell.  Considering I clearly was not absorbing the oestrogen element I wonder if there was something else in it that was affecting me - maybe the ethanol content possibly or one of the other ingredients.  Either way although I had been on it previously for all those years the product now really did not work for me in any way.  As I said I am now on Estradot patches and am changing them every 3 days as for me they don't seem to last the 4 days - at the start I was changing them every 2 1/2 days but that seems to have levelled out more as the dose got larger.  I was advised due to my non absorption of Oestrogen on Oestrogel that to change to patches as they seem to give a more sustained and even dose level to start on a 25 patch  - then up to 37.5 then up to 50 and then I worked up to 62 and now 68.  Bit of a long process but had to increase slowly but it does seem so far to be paying off.  I hope to go up to the full 75 in a couple of weeks time.  Like you I tend to rely on symptoms but it was helpful to have the blood tests which confirmed that at least my levels are going in the right direction. Hope so much that is of some help to you xx Hope so very much you start to feel better soon.   Such a rollercoaster for us all xx
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:00:01 AM by Pippa52 »