Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Not sure if I should ditch the HRT - would value opinions please x  (Read 1180 times)

EllieJ

Hi there just wondering how long (roughly) it takes before you feel benefits.

I started Evorel Conte 4 weeks ago tomorrow, I think I'm sleeping better, although I'm still fatigued. Its my mental health that has taken a nosedive. I've had some very light spotting and pelvic discomfort (which I understand can happen) and I'm wondering if, after four weeks, HRT is really making a positive difference or not.

My family are worried about me from a mental health point of view. I had begun to think I was getting to a better point in my menopause journey before HRT, as my hot flushes seemed to be improving - it was just lack of sleep and related issues (exhaustion, lack of focus and energy etc) that made me want to try HRT. That and the fact that my mental health had gone downhill somewhat (childhood trauma coming back to haunt me which my GP said happens a lot when menopause hits). To be honest, my mood swings have been worse on HRT so I'm wondering if I should just stop.

I have suffered with anxiety in the past, and do worry about side effects. I  had a scary time last year when my gynae gave me an urgent pipelle biopsy due to thickened uterus lining. This caused a lot of stress, which all turned out to be pointless due to a mistake on their part. When they saw the results of an urgent ultrasound following a heavy bleed, they had wrongly assumed I was fully menopausal (apparently the slightly thickened lining was actually in normal ranges for a peri-menopausal lady) To top it off, they then lost the biopsy! As by this time they realised I hadn't had my final period yet, they decided not to put me through another biopsy but repeated the ultrasound, which this time was clear except for a small fibroid. 

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice.

Flossieteacake

Re: Not sure if I should ditch the HRT - would value opinions please x
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 08:47:02 AM »

Please do not apologise for your post. Four weeks is very early to feel any benefit but I can understand your concerns if you feel it is effecting your mental health. I have found the improvements from HRT on mental health are one of the longest to improve along with sleep. You think you may be sleeping better which is a really positive sign and will help your mental wellbeing. I can relate to the fatigue. It is exhausting.

With having difficulties focusing, HRT is helpful for that along with brain fog. I know my brain fog has improved a lot with HRT. The mood swings are very common with meno and it could be your body is adjusting to the HRT. I do understand your family being concerned as it is vital you do not get to that deep dark place again.

What a horrid time you had with the biopsy. I really am sorry you had to go through that.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 08:56:35 AM »

If you are peri is there a reason you are on a conti regime?

EllieJ

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 10:53:20 AM »

If you are peri is there a reason you are on a conti regime?
Hi Sheila I'm 55, last proper period was August. Apparently you can use Conti if you are menopausal or you are over a certain age.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 11:28:55 AM »

I asked because if you have a bad reaction to hrt it's usually the progesterone that's the culprit. If you're on a sequi regime you get some time on oestrogen only so you can see if there's a difference. It takes 3 months to get the full benefit but you shouldn't be feeling worse.