Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Gastroscope next week and very anxious  (Read 524 times)

Patchsmama

Gastroscope next week and very anxious
« on: March 03, 2023, 03:48:32 PM »

Hello everyone

I’ve been struggling with post nasal drip and mucus in the throat for the past three years, started after I had a horrendous cough, just before covid was official. Be been treated with esomeprazole on and off, plus sterile nasal sprays and antihistamines. Different dicta say different things.

I was referred to gastroenterology 18 months ago and have now had an appointment for a gastroscopy come through for next week.  Needless to say, I’m terrified, both of the procedure and of what they might find. I struggle badly with health anxiety and think the worst.

Just wondering what anyone’s experience of the procedure has been. I thought about cancelling but if I could get through it and it’s okay, it would be nice to have peace of mind. Thanks so much xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gastroscope next week and very anxious
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 04:08:54 PM »

I would be terrified of the procedure though I understand that a sedative can be given.  The results - better to know sooner than later than nowt is required? 

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 04:25:19 PM »

Usually those who are dreading the procedure are the ones who say oh, that was ok after all.
You can opt for a spray on your throat or be sedated. It's such a common procedure and best to get it over and done with.

Booroo

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 05:45:24 PM »

Hello everyone

I’ve been struggling with post nasal drip and mucus in the throat for the past three years, started after I had a horrendous cough, just before covid was official. Be been treated with esomeprazole on and off, plus sterile nasal sprays and antihistamines. Different dicta say different things.

I was referred to gastroenterology 18 months ago and have now had an appointment for a gastroscopy come through for next week.  Needless to say, I’m terrified, both of the procedure and of what they might find. I struggle badly with health anxiety and think the worst.

Just wondering what anyone’s experience of the procedure has been. I thought about cancelling but if I could get through it and it’s okay, it would be nice to have peace of mind. Thanks so much xxx

I had one asked to be knocked out lol didn’t feel or remember anything x

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 05:58:15 PM »

I've had 3 over the years, inc biopsies for coeliac.  Dreaded the first but all were fine.  I had throat spray & light sedation each time.  Spray can make you cough a bit at first but that soon passes & it means the scope goes down without probs.  The light sedation means awake & able to co-operate but relaxed.  Also means you don't remember anything afterwards.  Only natural to worry about these things, but if they've not sent details of what to expect & it would help you to ask them any questions ahead of the procedure, you could maybe ring the endoscopy dept.

I'm sure it will be much easier than you fear.  Best of luck with it  :hug:.
Wx

Patchsmama

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 07:58:18 PM »

Thank you so much ladies for your kind words and reassurance.  I think I'll definitely ask for sedation and the spray.  I'm so worried that something will show up.... my health anxiety speaking.  I just want it to be over and hopefully can then get on with life a bit.  xx