Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy recovery  (Read 535 times)

Maree2711

• First Flush
Hysterectomy recovery
« on: March 02, 2023, 11:34:45 AM »

I’m 46 and had total abdominal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, I’m up and moving around ok really the last few days has improved, my tummy is swollen at the bottom like a spare tyre! It’s also very sensitive tingley to touch and as the evening goes on it feels uncomfortable and hard. Is this normal?

Gnatty

Re: Hysterectomy recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 03:54:47 PM »

I think the tingly feeling is probably normal, it's your nerve endings I imagine. Swelling too is normal but I do know that it can sometimes be your body's way of saying you are doing too much especially as you  feel worse by the end of the day. It's major surgery, I really wasn't doing very much at all those first few weeks. Any concerns at all though do get checked out. Any questions fire away!

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 04:22:07 PM »

Totally agree with gnatty,any concerns get a nurse to have a look,after my hysterectomy I rested completely for at least 3 weeks and didn't drive for 6 even though I felt recovered by then,don't forget that when you have this op,things can move around in there,there's a new space been created,so do be careful even though you think you can do more x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 06:08:09 PM »

I agree with the others that recovery can take some time and if you are worried then please ask your GP or practice nurse.

You do need time for all of the muscle layers to heal and you have to be careful not to put extra stress on your pelvic floor. I hope you've been given advice on how to recover in the best way. This info might be useful https://www.rcog.org.uk/for-the-public/browse-all-patient-information-leaflets/abdominal-hysterectomy-recovering-well-patient-information-leaflet/

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and had to have three months off work and couldn't drive for 8 weeks due to a couple of infections despite following all of the 'rules'.

Taz x  :welcomemm: