Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cellulitis  (Read 4893 times)

KaraShannon

Cellulitis
« on: March 01, 2023, 06:59:23 PM »

Hi all

Feeling pretty sorry for myself and could use any positive stories or advice you have.

Last Sunday night I was visiting relatives and decided to leave early as I was freezing, abnormally cold.  By the time I got home I'd started being sick and then went into a raging hot temperature. 

I fell into bed, spent too long in a very deep sleep, too deep it felt, and when I woke my leg was a red wine colour in the calf.

First thought was oh no I'll have to be checked at the hospital for a dvt, but I feel too ill to go.  I have a lot of health anxiety and it paralyses me.  While I feel ill I often can't fo the right thing or seek help.  It's related to a past trauma and I'm seeking help for it.

Anyway i called the doctor on weds when my 'bug' had eased off and I felt I could clean and tidy myself for hospital.  But the doctor said its cellulitis and my 'illness' was me fighting it off.  What if I had gone into sepsis.  I had ignored the leg for 2 days !

He prescribed antibiotics which he urged me to take but agreed that if I continued to improve I could miss them.  I have them with me.  There's continuing improvement but it's so slow.

I have fatigue at the best of times and I'm doing very little except prepping very basic meals , cleaning up after them and lying in bed.

Just wondered of anyone else has been here.  I have found other support but I think I'm just talking with people who had a horrendous time or lots of recurrence etc, which isn't helping with the anxiety right now.

Never had anything like this in my life.  Have always walked barefoot.  Could the reducing estradiol made me a bit more susceptible?

Thanks for reading all this  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cellulitis
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 07:47:36 PM »

Cellulitis is inflammation somewhere, usually in the legs.  Anything with 'itis' should respond with ABs: appedencitis, tonsillitis, laryngitis ......... : I would take the ABs as well as was it suggested: elevate the legs above the hips all the while  :-\

Totally unrelated to menopause I would suggest. 

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 09:44:25 PM »

You poor thing. It's a nasty infection to have. My uncle had it once and made a good recovery and never had it again. His started from a tiny cut under his foot which he didn't even know he'd got. I would encourage you to take the antibiotics as, without them, the infection may flare up again. Which ones have you been given.

Taz x  :hug:

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 10:03:59 PM »

Thanks CLKD and Taz

I promise I will take the AB's if the improvement stops but each day the leg is a little better.

I've been given erythromycin.  I was very reluctant to take in the beginning as I'd only just got over being sick, and I think erythromycin can do this as well.  AB's worry me as I'm pretty certain whenever I had them as a kid, I'd get better from whatever I had, but the a day or two later be hit with a nasty upset stomach. 

Emetophobia.

But I promise I will take them if anything is not going in the right direction.  The doctor told me everything to watch for.

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 10:06:33 PM »

Taz glad to hear your uncle recovered and never got it again.  That's hopeful.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 12:22:47 AM »

Thank you. If you do take the antibiotic why not get some probiotics to take at the same time. I use Optibac and find they do help with gut health. They do a range of them for different needs.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »

Another emitophobe here  :-\  :'( so I understand your concerns.

How is the leg this morning?

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 08:31:28 AM »

Another emitophobe here  :-\  :'( so I understand your concerns.

How is the leg this morning?

Thanks CKLD

The leg is OK, it's mainly a pale pink, pretty inert, skin is flaking which is a sign of healing.  Slight itchy patch on shin which I'll be glad when that stops.  If it were postage stamp size you'd know it was in the healing phase   but my whole shin.  I'm just inpatient to see really good results overnight.

But also kniw once I'm off this bed any length of time I'm going to be pretty ocd about everything for a while.  Worried about not letting it happen again. 

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 08:34:41 AM »

Thank you. If you do take the antibiotic why not get some probiotics to take at the same time. I use Optibac and find they do help with gut health. They do a range of them for different needs.

Taz x

I will order that, thanks.  Hoping I won't need to, its been 7 days without a fever and thevkeg does appear to be healing, just taking longer than I would have expected.

It's the time that's getting to me.  The weekend is coming up and I dread the weekends if ill.  But that's my mind, have to manage it  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 08:51:36 AM »

I'm so glad that it's improving. It will take longer to heal as the infection is deep in the skin. Have you been given advice as to how to prevent it happening again?

Taz x

KaraShannon

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 06:24:07 PM »

I'm so glad that it's improving. It will take longer to heal as the infection is deep in the skin. Have you been given advice as to how to prevent it happening again?

Taz x

No, nothing.

I might call the surgery in the morning and just check all is OK.

Thanks.  I'm just inpatient to see change, just something to know I'm recovering. 

Temp normal for 5 days
Leg has faded
Good circulation shown on glass test (wasn't before)
Itching and flaking
No spread

Those are the good symptoms.

The ones worrying me are slight.

A slight feeling of revulsion, slight but there
Not eating much (but am eating)
Leg still pink
Not a lot of energy

Will chat to doctor tomorrow. 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 07:15:51 PM »

Let us know how you get on.

British College of Dermatology = cellulitis support

The Lymphoedema Support Network (LSN) is a registered charity and the UK’s national patient support charity for those living with or affected by lymphoedema.’  (another area discussing cellulitis)

Sepsis Alliance is the leading sepsis organization in the U.S. working in all 50 states to save lives and reduce suffering from sepsis. Sepsis Alliance is a charitable organization run by a dedicated team who share a strong commitment to battling sepsis.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 07:23:39 PM by CLKD »

KaraShannon

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 08:44:28 PM »

Thanks CLKD

I thanked you yesterday but I think the phone rang in the middle of me typing.  :)

KaraShannon

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 08:49:41 PM »

So I spoke to the doctor over the phone this morning.  He said the infection has gone, just skin flaking now etc.

I told him I'm totally listless and no appetite but he said give it a few days, my body will be wiped out from fighting the infection. 

I'm taking 1000mg vit c each day. 

Feel a bit trapped in my house as no energy to even get ready let alone go out. 

Anyone ever been like this post illness?  Not been like this since I was a little kid and it wasn't so bad then as your food and fluids etc brought yo you and you got time off school lol

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 09:12:54 AM »

Post viral syndrome is common: known as 'yuppy flu' in the 1980s  >:(.  Noted as a side effect of recent Covid infections.

Be kind to yourself!  U R on the mend. 
Pages: [1] 2