Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: ARE MY SYMPTOMS RELATED TO THE MENOPAUSE?  (Read 698 times)

mimmy

• First Flush
ARE MY SYMPTOMS RELATED TO THE MENOPAUSE?
« on: February 28, 2023, 02:13:59 PM »

Hi, I'm new on this site. I am 59 years old and for the last 10 weeks have been suffering debilitating anxiety, insomnia, waking up overheated (sometimes sweating), hair thinning, weight loss, palpitations and racing heart. I also wake up in the night and my fingers have gone dead. GP advised me my calcium levels were fine so this was probably due to the anxiety.  Many people have suggested that it might be due to the menopause. I thought I'd got off lightly - my periods stopped suddenly when my sister-in-law died in 2014 when I was 51. I didn't get any menopausal symptoms and thought that was it. However, now I'm wondering if that was the menopause at all, and I'm actually going through it now? Obviously my body reacts to trauma (as in the periods stopping). I've had a lot of stressors in my life recently and feel like it all piled up and tipped me over the edge. I'm wondering if there was a hormonal shift to explain my current symptoms... any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:16:13 PM by mimmy »

Flossieteacake

Re: ARE MY SYMPTOMS RELATED TO THE MENOPAUSE?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 02:21:39 PM »

Hello Mimmy and welcome to the forum. Menopause is when you have not had a period for one year and after this it is called post meno. This can still cause symptoms such as you have described and some post meno women decide to start HRT. I suspect the symptoms you have are meno related.

I am very sorry for the loss of your sister in law. Such a traumatic time can indeed cause the loss of periods.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 02:50:04 PM »

:welcomemm:  shock can stop periods.  Menopause is 12 months after the last bleed. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Anxiety can become overwhelming as hormones rise and fall.  HRT may help as will dedicated anti-anxiety medication: 'valium' as necessary, Propranolol betablocka ........ along with HRT if you feel that you need it.

Let us know how you get on.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 03:03:11 PM »

Hello mimmy and welcome to the forum.

All this does sound like the menopause and it may be that your Oestrogen levels have only recently dropped to a level that causes symptoms. Having said that I have been reading up on vitamin D deficiency and this can cause similar problems. As you probably know Vitamin D is actually a hormone and your doctor can offer a blood test to see if your levels are low. If so this can easily be corrected with supplements.

Wishing you well and please keep us updated.

K.

mimmy

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 03:09:00 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Thanks for your response. I have had many blood tests, including vitamin D, thyroid, diabetes....... and they are all normal. I am currently wearing a 24hour ECG monitor to assess the racing heart and palpitations....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:15:40 PM by mimmy »

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 08:08:38 PM »

Hello again mimmy.

It must be reassuring to know that your blood tests were okay.

I had a racing heart sensation along with palpitations as one of my meno symptoms and other MM ladies have been monitored in the same way as you are now.

Hopefully your results will help you to decide what to do next.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.