Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Warning - supplements with HRT  (Read 955 times)

Alli8

• First Flush
Warning - supplements with HRT
« on: February 26, 2023, 09:31:53 AM »

Hi Ladies, a few weeks ago I posted on here wondering had my HRT stopped working. I have been taking Evorel Conti for 5 months and so far has been a game changer until a few weeks ago. I started to feel it had reversed - low mood, irritable, night sweats and massive swollen sore boobs (not had those since I was pregnant last).
My GP was sceptical and told me to ride it out but I decided to do my own detective work. The culprit has been found and it's Rosehip!
A few years ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of wrists and hands and was advised by a friend to take Rosehip. I did and it does help but during lockdown my supplier ran out and I decided to wait until they had more stock, rather than try a new brand. A couple of months ago I got an email from them saying it was back so I started taking it again without really considering a possible interaction with the HRT (wrong I know, note to self).

My Rosehip was the max strength 6000mg and I was taking 2 a day. It also contains a lot of Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid). After research, it seems Vitamin C increases oestrogen absorption so I believe I was overdosing on Oestrogen! Strange how the symptoms are the same as low oestrogen, except for the added horror boobs!
I stopped the Rosehip 10 days ago and am happy to report I am feeling much my old self, my boobs have returned to normal size and the tenderness has almost gone. I have also stopped my multi vitamin as that probably wasn't helping either.

I am confident the Rosehip with vitamin C was the culprit. I am aware I need some vitamin support but I shall do my research before taking anything and try to get what I need from my diet rather than supplements. As for my osteoarthritis, that is another thing I shall have to look at!

Flossieteacake

Re: Warning - supplements with HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 10:41:40 AM »

Thank you for telling us this. It is scary that happened to you. Luckily you found out so you could stop it.

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 10:52:29 AM »

Gosh who'd a thought Rosehip could have been so powerful. I'm glad that things have calmed down for you.
Just wondering - would 1 Rosehip s day be worth a try, it might help your osteoarthritis without messing up your oestrogen levels.
Thanks very much for posting this it is extremely helpful.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 11:58:44 AM »

Hello Alli8 and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for a very interesting observation. I wonder how Rosehip impacted your Oestrogen? It would be great if the scientists would investigate this sort of thing. I wonder if there were also fillers etc in your supplements that also played a part?

Good to know that you solved the mystery and take care.

K.