Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Feeling awful  (Read 1754 times)

Bond Girl

• First Flush
Feeling awful
« on: February 24, 2023, 09:17:55 AM »

Hi Ladies! First time poster here.
I’m 47 & in perimenopause. I’ve got the merina coil & been on Oestrogel for about a year. It’s recently been taken up from 2 pumps to 3 after a telephone discussion with my GP.
I’m usually not too bad but I feel absolutely awful at the moment. Completely run down. Had pneumonia at Christmas & since then I keep picking up bugs & losing my voice. Keep feeling shaky & unwell. Disturbed sleep / insomnia. Zero sex drive (in fact it might even be in minus figures  :'(). I have no motivation whatsoever to do anything. I feel completely disconnected from everything & everyone. I’ve had depression & anxiety & complex PTSD in the past & this is all different so I know it’s not that & it all points to peri.
Someone please tell me that this feeling will pass. Is there something I can do / take / eat / sacrifice to the gods to make myself feel human??  :-\

Flossieteacake

Re: Feeling awful
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 09:51:58 AM »

Hello Bond Girl and welcome to the forum. I really am sorry to hear of what you are going through. Having depression, anxiety and complex PTSD you will worry they will be triggered.

It sounds to me like your immune system is low after having pneumonia and you are run down. Did you feel unwell after increasing your gel or do you think it is after pneumonia because I am wondering if you had covid and this is long covid. I may be totally wrong but just thought I would mention it.

Bond Girl

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 10:25:36 AM »

Thanks for replying. Funnily enough my husband said to me this morning could it be long covid? I had all my covid jabs, but caught Covid last October. I don’t think I’ve been 100% since then, so perhaps it could be?
I haven’t felt any worse with the gel increase. I’ve been taking the ‘Health & her’ menopause supplements but I don’t feel any particular difference with those.
I’m trying to do all the usual “right things” like drinking more water, watching my diet, no alcohol, etc. but nothing seems to make a difference which makes me think it’s hormonal.
Just feeling frustrated with it all now, feeling constantly under the weather is making me feel more fed up & under the weather!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »

Morning.  It's The Change - does what it says on the tin.  Hormonal upheaval can be the pits!

If you are OK on adding more HRT then stick with that.

Have U had a thyroid function and. VitD test recently?  When I had low levels of VitD I couldn't do much at all: 20 mins gardening then I would sit for 2 hours unable to move  :-\.  I began to think it was terminal  ::) until blood test shows that my levels were low.  Capsules sorted it!

Browse round.  Make notes.  Ask away.

SarahT

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 12:20:08 PM »

Hi Bond Girl (great name)
Am sorry you are having such a difficult time..sometimes things just seem to pile up on top of one another. Whilst in "normal circumstances" we are able to carry on, I think we all get to a point when you feel overwhelmed, physically and mentally. And I am certain in my case the physical symptoms affect the mental and vice versa.

I agree about getting your thyroid checked out of you haven't done so recently. Just back from a blood test as my own  level has  sunk lower than normal and I have had to increase my thyroxine dose. Low thyroid can zap your energy right down. Also for me, low iron absorbtion, which I hope will lessen as also on Mirena coil so no periods.  :) at long last....

With all the helpful advice from the above wonderful ladies, maybe speak to a gp in case blood tests are needed? 

Sending a hug

Bond Girl

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 12:41:55 PM »

Thanks ladies for replying. I had thyroid checked a while ago & all was fine. I do take a daily vitamin D supplement along with magnesium, although I am absolutely desperate to feel the sun on my skin.
I think that perhaps it’s a mixture of all of it - end of last year was manic for me & then I was ill with flu/chest infection/pneumonia all over Christmas & into the New Year which dragged on until recently (& is probably still affecting my immune system). Add in perimenopause, busy life & the usual Winter blues & it’s not a good combination at all!!  :-\

I’m absolutely detest the winter!! I’m a Spring/Summer girl through & through!  8)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 01:37:21 PM »

R U taking enough VitD?  Pharmacies can't give the same dose as GPs are able to prescribe.  So it may be worth while taking an extra dose daily to top up the VitD.

Let us know how you get on.  MayB look at your overall diet to see whether it can be tweaked to provide more protein and essential salts/sugars

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 02:03:06 PM »

I tend to agree how you feel may not be hrt related. Some bugs seem to wipe you out for a long time afterwards. Some women find libido returns with sufficient oestrogen, others need to add testosterone. How ling have you been on 3 pumps? It may be too soon to tell.