Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Subtotal Hysterectomy & Utrogestan  (Read 1645 times)

Jaz

Subtotal Hysterectomy & Utrogestan
« on: June 23, 2023, 09:19:59 PM »

I had subtotal hysterectomy in 2008 and started Hrt five years later, stated on oral tablets then on Evorel patches since 2016 - 75 x 4 per week and this has worked really well for me. I’m now 61 and recently had very slight spotting but thought I better let GP know.
They did a Hysteroscopy and MRI scan everything looked fine apart from small cysts on ovaries which maybe removed by keyhole surgery in future. There was a three month gap in between with no repeat bleeding and i never heard back from the hospital until i contacted them - realised cant be urgent!

However after the call the Gynaecologist said as precaution she suggested I go on Utrogestan 100mg daily - this gave me really bad acne, as alternative I’ve been using vaginal Utrogestan 200mg capasule for last three weeks. There are no bad side effects apart from itchiness/discharge and not great for any potential sex life which we still occasional have. The doctor said she is just advising i take it incase there are issues in future with lining of cervix and potential risks.

I’ve been thinking there are also risks with taking Utrogestan and the inconvenience when i have been very happy on just the patches and i am going to stop taking it. Does anyone else have any thoughts or advice on this?
If I have another episode of bleeding i will take again but i am also considering reducing my patches as been on them for 8 years and the reason i have to consider progesterone.

Jaz

sheila99

Re: Subtotal Hysterectomy & Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 08:25:16 AM »

Where do they think the blood came from? I'm thinking you have no uterus (assuming it was completely removed) so it can't be from shedding the lining. Do you have va as that can cause it? Are you up to date with smears? Not sure how utro was going to help either.

Jaz

Re: Subtotal Hysterectomy & Utrogestan - Hurdity?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 01:26:25 PM »

Sheila, apparently letter said ‘there is always a possibility of remnant endometrial tissue from the womb’ (even though i don't have one) and ‘a theoretical risk of cancerous changes whilst on unopposed oestrogen’. Although she said there are no clear cut BFS guidelines on this.

There was no evidence of above post hysteroscopy under anaesthetic or even after hysterectomy, I’ve never had any bleeding in last 9 years since on HRT and it was very mild spotting recently reported which stopped quite quickly.

I am up to date with smears, due to have one soon, surprisingly they didn't do one. I think as they didn't know the cause they  just suggested Utro to cover themselves.

Hurdity your quite knowable about theses things what do you think or anyone?
Thanks

Taz2

Re: Subtotal Hysterectomy & Utrogestan
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 02:03:38 PM »

There is a relevant comment by Hurdity on this thread https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,60425.0.html

It is very confusing altogether as to whether you need it or not.

Taz x  :)