Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hysterectomy, what to expect.  (Read 1386 times)

Maggiebash

Hysterectomy, what to expect.
« on: February 24, 2023, 08:57:41 PM »

Having been diagnosed with EIN/Atypical Hyperplasia I need a full hysterectomy, womb, tubes, ovaries and cervix. I'm not sure what to expect. I am 2 years post menopause but told I could still experience the onset of symptoms following the op. I would be interested to hear others experiences, I know everyone's experience is unique, but some idea would good. I get the op next Friday and both anxious and nervous.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 04:56:03 PM by Maggiebash »

sheila99

Re: Hysterectomy, what to expect.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 09:47:54 PM »

Sorry no experience, just wanted to say I hope it all goes well. Presumably you're on top of the hrt?

Maggiebash

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 10:27:08 PM »

Sorry no experience, just wanted to say I hope it all goes well. Presumably you're on top of the hrt?

Thanks for kind wishes.

Im not on HRT, unfortunetly I went through the menopause during COVID, so appointments and things were difficulty. I had a mirena coil fitted in in Dec, that's all.  I experienced a lot of flushes but they have mostly stopped now.

I guess I just wait and see the after effects. Not sure if I will go on HRT.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 09:49:41 AM by Maggiebash »

Nina123

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 12:55:30 PM »

Hi, I was diagnosed in February 2021 with Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia.after I had post menopausal spotting, I had a hysteroscopy where I had a polyp removed & a biopsy with gas & air. I was aged 58, I was recommended to have full hysterectomy which I had in April 2021. I had a great recovery no issues. I was not on any HRT before the op & never had any since. In all honesty I’ve never felt any different since the op, never suffered with hot flushes or night sweats, no insomnia & no vaginal dryness. Also my sex life has never been better (sorry if tmi). Hope all goes well for you. XXX

Maggiebash

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 04:55:46 PM »

Hi, I was diagnosed in February 2021 with Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia.after I had post menopausal spotting, I had a hysteroscopy where I had a polyp removed & a biopsy with gas & air. I was aged 58, I was recommended to have full hysterectomy which I had in April 2021. I had a great recovery no issues. I was not on any HRT before the op & never had any since. In all honesty I’ve never felt any different since the op, never suffered with hot flushes or night sweats, no insomnia & no vaginal dryness. Also my sex life has never been better (sorry if tmi). Hope all goes well for you. XXX

Thanks not TMI, it's good to know.
I also had post menopausal bleeding and after a scan got biospsies done during hysteroscope. The results are Atypical Hyperplasia. I'm 53, getting everything removed as I have history of a normal smear test results too, not recent ones but not taking any chance, it's one less thing to worry about.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 04:59:23 PM by Maggiebash »

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 05:56:26 PM »

Just to add, don't be tempted to go up and down stairs if you are having an abdominal ( bikini line) hysterectomy. Do you know which type you are having?

Maggiebash

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 06:26:47 PM »

Hi Maggie
I had a full laparoscopy hysterectomy a year ago and it was the best decision I have ever made. The operation itself went well. I had no pain. In fact it didn’t even feel like I’d had anything done at all. I was on HRT patches pre op including the dreaded progesterone. Now Im on just a patch and it is wonderful as I no longer have my own hormones going up and down in the background which made getting my correct patch dose much easier. I love it. No more periods, progesterone, no smear tests and no worries about getting the main gyne cancers as I get older.
My consultant said after carrying out many hysterectomies he has never had one lady regret it. Please try not to worry as it was fine. I would say gentle exercise as soon as possible afterwards such as a light walk really helped me. I started just going up and down the stairs a few times every few hours.
Sending you very best wishes. Xx
Thank you so much. This is good know. I'm having a laperoscopy one. I haven't spoken about HRT yet but no doubt they will go over that with me. X

Maggiebash

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 06:28:28 PM »

Just to add, don't be tempted to go up and down stairs if you are having an abdominal ( bikini line) hysterectomy. Do you know which type you are having?
I do indeed have stairs, I'm getting the laperoscopy though, but will be careful with the stairs. Thanks. X

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 06:32:13 PM »

I had a hysterectomy (full) because  I had widespread endometriosis.  Was so relieved to be out of pain.  You will need to take it easy for a while afterwards.  I went straight onto Oestrogen only HRT after the op and never suffered any symptoms of menopause at that point.  Hope so much all goes well for you xx

Maggiebash

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 09:45:49 PM »

I had a hysterectomy (full) because  I had widespread endometriosis.  Was so relieved to be out of pain.  You will need to take it easy for a while afterwards.  I went straight onto Oestrogen only HRT after the op and never suffered any symptoms of menopause at that point.  Hope so much all goes well for you xx
Thank you x

Maggiebash

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 07:42:33 PM »

:) I had the full hysterectomy by laperoscopy! It didn't quite go to plan, took nearly 5 hours due to my ovary being stuck to my bowel and uterus being stuck to my bladder and multiple LETZ. But glad they managed with the laperoscopy. I had a drain in for a couple of days but got home on Monday. So now plenty rest!

Gnatty

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 07:55:31 PM »

Good to hear you are home! And yes plenty of rest. Don't forget your laxatives! Any questions, fire away x

Maggiebash

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 09:55:25 PM »

Good to hear you are home! And yes plenty of rest. Don't forget your laxatives! Any questions, fire away x

Thank you so much x

Donna-paul

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 03:52:41 PM »

I’m going through the same waiting for my date . Got to have a mri scan sat and chest X-ray as well. I’ve got to stop my hrt on sat ready for the op. My consultant couldn’t say if I will be able to go back on hrt it he just said we will have to see. We are lucky they have got things early🤞Good luck for your op I to am scared and anxious.

Maggiebash

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 05:33:21 PM »

I’m going through the same waiting for my date . Got to have a mri scan sat and chest X-ray as well. I’ve got to stop my hrt on sat ready for the op. My consultant couldn’t say if I will be able to go back on hrt it he just said we will have to see. We are lucky they have got things early🤞Good luck for your op I to am scared and anxious.
I had my Op, it all went well enough. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I hope your Pre-op tests go okay mad they get you in quick for you op. Keep in touch and le me know how it goes. Xx
Pages: [1] 2