Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Too scared to go for next DEXA  (Read 4640 times)

HellsBells

Re: Too scared to go for next DEXA
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2023, 11:29:38 AM »

Thanks Flossieteacake!  :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 12:26:02 PM »

Is it like many scans etc., 3-5  B 4 the next one is required?

U went.  Anything on the results when they arrive can be acted upon.  U seem to be doing OK anyway!  How do you feel today, ? tired ?

HellsBells

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 12:51:02 PM »

Honestly? I feel a visceral terror - if my results are worse I will be gutted.

My results at age 50/51 were bad but not investigated. I assumed it was because I was coeliac but now I wish I'd had further investigations at the time. I was 7 stone until I was 40 and didn't like dairy but I was very active so it's all a bit odd. I'm concerned any gains I've made while gluten free (since 2019) will have been dragged down by my lack of oestrogen/progesterone. I was never able to follow through with the HRT either.

I am beyond stressed!!!

jaypo

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 01:32:56 PM »

My dr old me it's every 5 years,tbh it sounds promising to me,like there's improvement  :D

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2023, 03:08:50 PM »

Ring your Surgery and ask what the time lag might be?  For mammograms is so many, bowel test kit arrives here about 3 years apart etc..

HellsBells

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2023, 04:27:55 PM »

Ring your Surgery and ask what the time lag might be?  For mammograms is so many, bowel test kit arrives here about 3 years apart etc..

Every 5 years with osteopenia? I thought they didn't get you to re-test if you were in that category - just osteoporotic?

jaypo

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2023, 06:04:48 PM »

According to my Dr I'll be tested again,I mean why wouldn't they,just to make sure it isn't getting worse 🤷‍♀️

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2023, 07:10:12 PM »

Ring and ask ? 

Limpy

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2023, 07:17:21 PM »

I think they tend to test every 5 years to check on the T scores to check on the progress of the disease.
Speaking as one who has just broken her foot (no trauma) I'd quite like to see what my osteoporosis/penia is doing.

One thing to bear in mind is DEXA scans aren't entirely easy to get - well they aren't around here even when post menopause. It took a fracture before I got my first one.

HellsBells

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2023, 08:26:02 PM »

OK, so I was completely misled by the idiot clinician.

My hips are both well into osteoporosis (-3.0) and my spine is almost there (-2.4) I am completely gutted and scared. I can't see the point of carrying on.

I have had cancer, I've had 5 surgeries for various things, I have hypothyroidism, coeliac disease and hair loss. I have back and neck problems and chronic intermittent dizziness. I'm 55. Really, what is the ****ing point. The only way to navigate happy old age is to be healthy and strong. I can't do that with osteoporosis.

HellsBells

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2023, 08:29:56 PM »

Oh and I forgot...I have a double prolapse.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2023, 09:15:54 PM »

Hellsbells, this has come as a huge shock to you and it is understandable you are upset and depressed. Please do not do anything rash. Are you making any plans because your words struck a cord with me and has made me wonder if you are safe. Are you alone tonight?

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2023, 07:38:49 AM »

Morning HellsBells - do have a lookC at the UK Osteoporosis support group and ask the questions.  U may get more sensible advice that will lift your mood.

U R already dealing with a lot of health issues - hopefully each 1 is seen on a regular basis ?  [sorry mind numb this morning]

jaypo

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2023, 08:13:40 AM »

Hellsbells just to follow on what Flossie and clkd said,there IS help and things will be ok,you are a relatively young woman and as a woman,you are strong,osteoporosis doesn't mean you are going to fall to bits,I know people who have lived with it for years and are all ok.
Sometimes when anxiety gets a hold,we can all feel like you do now,this week, I have felt down with all my aches and pains,if it's not my back it's my ankles or feet,stomach is always giving me trouble and I sometimes think,god,is THIS it forever but then I say,NO WAY is this getting the better of me and I start fighting again. Do look at the osteoporosis help out there like clkd says. Please try to let us know how you are xx

HellsBells

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2023, 05:54:47 PM »

I have to admit I am struggling. Decades of illness and surgery, structural issues and pain, dizziness and random unexplainable symptoms. I have to admit this isn't how I saw my life going, it doesn't allow me to be who I am/was and I can't see the point. If my mum and dad weren't alive I wouldn't care if I died. My life is at a standstill. I don't have my own kids (stepkids of 25 yrs) and I am having a temporary break from work. I have the best husband in the world but I just feel like I am ruining his life with my problems. He deserves someone with life and enthusiasm. I am dragging him down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3