Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 5562 times)

Melp

Supplements
« on: February 23, 2023, 10:23:20 AM »

Hi, I am taking Health and Her Perimenopause Supplements which contain Vitamin D 10ug. Can I also take Vitamin D3 and K2 which is 75ug or will this be too much but as they are D and D3 would this be ok? I get confused when it comes to working out the units and what's too much or too little. Also does anyone recommend a good Omega 3 that is easy to swallow, most capsules are huge!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:05:59 AM by Melp »

Dierdre

Re: Supplements
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »

10ug is the recommended daily dose so 75ug plus 10ug is a lot. What part of the D3 and K2 is actually D3. 10ug is 400iu so you would be taking 3400iu. if it's all D3.
I take 25ug and that is high strength non prescription.

Melp

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 11:53:59 AM »

Hi Dierdre, thank you. I did think it was probably too much so haven't had the D3 today. I really want to keep taking the perimenopause supplement so might have to look for a milder dose of d3&k2. The d3 is of a high amount 3000iu so yes it would be 3400iu daily. Will have to re think my supplements 🙄

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 02:54:12 PM »

Is it possible to take your supplements in individual tablets instead of in a multivitamin mix.

I thought I was doing all the right things in my late 50's with the multivitamins I was taking but after a blood test I was found to be low in iron, when I mentioned to the GP about my multivitamins he dismissed them and told me to buy an iron supplement, fast forward, quite a few years, I discovered I was also low in Zinc resulting in a diagnoses of prediabetes for years, latest diagnoses I am far from being prediabetes and it can only be down to taking a zinc supplement for about a year.

Just my experience of multivitamins but the only way I will take vitamins now is individually.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 05:03:17 PM by Ayesha »

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 03:15:38 PM »

I just take vit D3. Multivitimins are too random in dosage.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 05:02:49 PM »

Agree, I lost all faith in taking multivitamins, only thing now is I need a cupboard just for them as my supplements have increased a lot with the aging process, but definitely feeling the benefits of them.

Pater01

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 03:29:44 PM »

Did you find the health and her supplements helped your symptoms can I ask Melp?

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 06:28:55 PM »

Hi Dierdre, thank you. I did think it was probably too much so haven't had the D3 today. I really want to keep taking the perimenopause supplement so might have to look for a milder dose of d3&k2. The d3 is of a high amount 3000iu so yes it would be 3400iu daily. Will have to re think my supplements 🙄

3400iu is too much to take on a daily basis unless you have a deficiency that has been confirmed by blood tests. Ideally you want d3 with k2. Is it the BetterYou spray you are using- that is 3 pumps = 3000iu. You could buy that one (it isn't expensive) and just do 1-2 pumps.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 07:24:21 PM »

I was prescribed 3000iu initially but could have 1 presctiption, after than I was on my own.  It's hard to know what to take!

However, apart from VitD which may be essential, if we have a good varied diet we should not need supplements.  However, with all the processed foods available it mayB that diets in the last 15-20 years have less 'goodness' in them.

Ayesha

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 10:56:33 PM »

It doesn't matter how good a diet we have because as we age we can become deficient in certain vitamins and minerals, why those yearly blood tests are important. I take quite a few supplements now and I know they are doing me a power of good!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 08:18:26 AM »

Which yearly blood tests  :-\

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 08:35:34 AM »

It doesn't matter how good a diet we have because as we age we can become deficient in certain vitamins and minerals, why those yearly blood tests are important. I take quite a few supplements now and I know they are doing me a power of good!

I certainly feel it when I stop my supplements, particularly b vitamins.

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 09:18:38 AM »

I've never been offered a yearly blood test for vit deficiency, just full blood count for diabetes, cholesterol etc.

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 02:23:55 PM »

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the yearly full blood tests for the usual suspects when they spot things like a vitamin deficiency.