Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT & Antibiotics  (Read 3264 times)

Cassie

HRT & Antibiotics
« on: February 23, 2023, 08:00:09 AM »

Does anyone know if antibiotics can interfere with the absorption of the gel. I am currently on a course and today noticed a bit of spotting, it may be that I forgot to apply the gel one night this week as I have been really unwell with a chest infection and sleeping a great deal but I had heard that some antibiotics can do this,will keep an  eye but seems a bit too co incendental as I never get breakthrough spotting am only on 1 pump per day  :-\

Flossieteacake

Re: HRT & Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 08:17:05 AM »

Sorry to hear you are poorly Cassie. Yes, antibiotics can interfere. Last time I was on antibiotics I felt very unwell like I did not have oestrogen.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 08:31:23 AM »

Thank you x

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 10:01:14 AM »

I found an older chat on this forum with a link to a drug interactions table, I typed in the antibiotic I am on and it states that it can reduce the effects of oestrogen so I guess this could be what caused the spotting, hope so.  :-\

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 10:18:55 AM »

I found an older chat on this forum with a link to a drug interactions table, I typed in the antibiotic I am on and it states that it can reduce the effects of oestrogen so I guess this could be what caused the spotting, hope so.  :-\

It is very likely that is the case. I know for me antibiotics make me feel very unwell and my meno symptoms become worse.