Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Microbiome  (Read 691 times)

Rosti

Microbiome
« on: January 19, 2023, 10:33:09 AM »

One of the things that is in constant flux is my microbiome.  I love it and hate it in equal measure but what I didn't realise is just how much influence it has on EVERYTHING!

I was told by the Reproductive Endocrinologist that actually, my gut can hijack my oestrogen and define how my body gets to use it.  I was also told that many people with the symptoms of IBS also have something else, often Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) which is a wholly different kettle of fish but pretty rotten (yes I had it).

The histamine intolerance I have is also worse when my gut is unhappy.

I am currently trying to reset my microbiome with industrial strength probiotics, 1000mg vit C, magnesium and electrolytes.

Is anyone else separately trying to get their gut to play nicely in the hope that it will help the other issues?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Microbiome
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 12:18:15 PM »

The gut is the 2nd brain.

What did the endocrinologist suggest to help symptoms?  Or was it a passing conversation?

Has histamine intolerance been diagnosed?   My gut is my sensitive spot, instant nausea will cause anxiety .  Usually when I step out of routine  :'(.  I've always suffered and when the nausea kicks in, I stop eating = all kinds of problems  >:(  :-\

I have had slow transit for years.  IBS diagnosed in the 1990s when my gut spasm stopped almost completely.  My GP prescribed Motillium as well as Colpermin peppermint capsules which really eased symptoms: to be taken within an hour of eating my main meals.  3 of the former each time and 1 capsule for years.

Since then I've used LIVE yoghurt intermittently to help. 

Since then I can to to the loo regularly then sudden, I have a couple of days without a motion being passed even though the bottom feels like it ought to!  I also have wind and bloating without any obvious cause which makes me feel really ill.

I bought Kifir (sp) yesterday - don't know when to eat it though  :-\.  Morning or late at night?  The gut can be a minefield!

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 12:25:16 PM »

Hello Rosti

I first became interested in the microbiome in 2010 when I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. It appears that our gut bugs were always very important but until DNA sequencing was developed it was impossible to identify the bacteria or understand their purpose.

There is plenty of information on the subject now as I'm sure you have discovered. I am all in favour of pro biotics but once introduced you have to feed them which is where eating plenty of plants comes in. Our bacteria only eat fibre so meat and dairy won't help them but fruit and veg will.

I am not sure how my microbiome has helped me with HRT but then what would I compare it to lol. I have read that plenty of fibre means that medications etc are expelled efficiently thereby  preventing them from being reabsorbed by the gut and overdosing the system. This would probably include oral HRT but I am not sure how it applies to transdermal products.

If you have access to a Reproductive Endocrinologist you are fortunate indeed and I wish you luck with your efforts to improve your health.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 08:41:12 PM »

Does the gut be filled with microbiome from birth or is it acquired?  Watching a recent programme about the gut and how it should work as well as what we ought to be eating .......... where do those little critters appear from  ;D

Peri2022

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 12:42:55 PM »

Hi CKLD, unfortunately I’m a bit of a nerd on this particular topic 🤓 The fetal microbiome is populated in utero and also during labour/birth. Scientists used to think the fetal gut was sterile until advances in research techniques proved otherwise. It’s a fascinating area of study (says me)!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 02:40:10 PM »

And me - having suffered with my anxiety gut since age 3  :'(

I read yesterday that the idea of smearing a new born by C-section with microbe that might have been collected in the birthing process is no longer practiced.  Have U been watching the programme about gut health in recent weeks?  We are, on catch up.

I tried Kiefir  :-X  :sick02:

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 02:48:40 PM »

I’m experiencing this.
After several courses of antibiotics, I think they killed off the good bacteria in my gut.
Probiotics have started working now, and kefir.
I’m looking forward to them helping me mentally as well, it’s early days, they’re supposed to take a few weeks to work, it’s nice not to have a bad gut on a morning though. 🙂