Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Back Pain Advice  (Read 1731 times)

HellsBells

Back Pain Advice
« on: February 21, 2023, 12:33:29 PM »

Hi all. I have had trouble with upper back pain…it was described by a chiropractor 14 yrs as ‘instability’ I have had a full back MRI as recently as 18 months ago - nothing reported, the doc even said that some people my age would ‘gladly swap results’. He just found wear and tear.
I have had a particularly bad bout of it recently - almost 5 weeks of acute pain, slightly helped by an osteo. It’s the same in nature as always, but very stubborn.
I was 41 when I first had it and I’m 55 now. I am worried sick it might be something serious, but could just be weakening due to menopause.
Does anyone have any similar experiences? Is 4-5 weeks exceptional or is it just ‘old age’?
I had cancer several years ago and of course although it’s the same old pain I am a little terrified. I’m imagining all kinds of things.
Thank you!

Flossieteacake

Re: Back Pain Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 12:48:13 PM »

I am sorry you are so worried Hellsbells. I get back pain a lot. Meno does cause aches and pains. Are you wearing a supportive bra in the correct size? That can help too.

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 02:21:59 PM »

You are bound to be anxious about it but I would say your symptoms are getting worse due to the ageing process.
It would be a good idea now to get advice on an exercise regime to help ease symptoms as you age further because things usually get worse unfortunately.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 03:42:20 PM »

Hi

I’ve got terrible upper back pain, for the last two weeks it’s been in my right shoulder, radiating into the middle. Was really bad Saturday night so I went to bed early. Made me feel so fed up and poorly. Then Sunday morning when I got up, it’d gone. I was so happy and relieved.
But last night I woke in the early hours and found myself in an awkward position and my shoulder and middle back was killing me again, so now today, it’s back. Not quite as bad as before, but still niggling away at me. I don’t do pain very well tbh.
No pain when I breathe or anything like that, so I suppose it’s just muscular.
It does make us stress though when it doesn’t let up, so I’ll try a different pillow tonight or be careful how I lie in bed.
Hope you get some relief soon Hellsbells. xx

HellsBells

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 05:17:10 PM »

Thanks everyone!! Really good advice and reassuring words....I love this place - you're all wonderful.