Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT vs SSRIs......help  (Read 4240 times)

Elspeth76

• First Flush
HRT vs SSRIs......help
« on: February 20, 2023, 03:56:12 PM »

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm 46 and for the past year I've been having what I realise now are perimenopausal symptoms.

The worst part for my is the anxiety and mood swings. I've always been anxious but at present it's overwhelming, no motivation, endless worry, poor concentration, brain fog.

Other symptoms are aches, occasional night sweats, sore breasts, low sex drive, itchy skin, tinnitus.

I'm not sure which route to go down, whether I'm at the stage where I need HRT of whether antidepressants would be more beneficial.

Wondered if anyone has gone down the antidepressants route or whether HRT would settle my overactive mind!

Thank you

Flossieteacake

Re: HRT vs SSRIs......help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 04:01:16 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sometimes the low mood is hormonal and HRT is best for that. HRT will also help with the other symptoms you mentioned.

Sometimes once HRT has been tried antidepressants can be an idea if the low mood persists.

I am sorry to hear you are feeling low. It is such a horrid feeling.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT vs SSRIs......help
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 04:08:30 PM »

Welcome.  NICE suggest appropriate HRT initially: however.  Do U have a history of depression?  Of Anxiety?  If so you may benefit from a direct medication to ease those symptoms, as well as thinking about which replacement therapy you think would suit.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Browse round.  Make notes.  Ask away.