Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Spotting on vaginal estradiol  (Read 705 times)

Yvonneh12

• First Flush
Spotting on vaginal estradiol
« on: February 20, 2023, 10:23:02 AM »

Hi everyone. I am on oral progesterone tablets and Oestrogel 1 pump daily which i have been on for over 6 years and I am in the process of gradually reducing my dosage in order to stop it.
I have recently started vaginal estradiol 10 mgs and have noticed some spotting this morning. I know spotting is part of the side effects listed but can I expect this to stop after the two weeks of continuous daily doses? I will then be taking it twice per week.

TIA, Yvonne
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:24:51 PM by Yvonneh12 »

Flossieteacake

Re: Spotting on vaginal estradiol
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »

I would not reduce it to the twice a week that the leaflet says. I know the leaflet suggests this but twice a week is not enough to help with VA especially in the early stages. I have seen quite a few posts on here were members had spotting to begin with and then it stopped. It is also possible it was caused due to friction. It can help to apply vaginal moisturiser to insert it. Through out the day you may want to apply vaginal moisturiser too. Yes and Sylk are popular ones.

If you gradually reduce your other HRT you may find the menopause symptoms return. It is common to have bleeding in the first three months of HRT as your body adjusts. I hope this helps to reassure you a bit. :)

Yvonneh12

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 12:01:23 PM »

Thank you. I haven’t used any moisturiser to insert it so I’ll try that and the daily moisturiser as well. I know I may have some symptoms return by reducing my Other HRT but, to be honest, I’m not sure it’s making me feel better anyway.
I’m willing to see how I go with this as I am over 60 and my consultant has suggested this.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 12:16:06 PM »

They say it can take 3 months before you know a HRT is working. I found I had to increase mine to feel any benefits. I still do not feel great but there is some improvement.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 12:54:22 PM »

Vaginal atrophy treatment can be used nightly if required.  The advice in the leaflets is out of date.