Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anyone Taking Provera 10mg Longterm?  (Read 780 times)

Meno44

Anyone Taking Provera 10mg Longterm?
« on: February 18, 2023, 11:46:30 AM »

Just wondered if anyone could help me?

I started on 3 pumps of gel and 100mg Utrogestan daily (tried orally and vaginally) well over a year ago. I was experiencing bloating and general digestive discomfort which my GP and I thought may be down to the utrogestan. I did some investigating and found Provera which is the same hormone used in the contraceptive injection which I took for many years with no side effects.

I started on the provera 5mg daily and felt much better but after about 5 months I started bleeding. This was all investigated and luckily it was nothing sinister, so my GP told me to up the Provera to 10mg for a short while to control the bleeding, this stopped the bleeding.

Now my GP has told me that I shouldn't take the Provera 10mg long term, so I reluctantly went back to the Utrogestan and I feel awful again. I have no bleeding but all of my digestive issues have come back.

I want to know if anyone is taking Provera 10mg daily longterm? My GP said that that dosage is not meant to be taken longterm, the maximum is 5mg.

I'm at my wits end with it all. I've previously tried nearly every patch and tablet going but this gel and Provera combo works well for me (except the bleeding)  :'(

Zoe

Re: Anyone Taking Provera 10mg Longterm?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 12:09:41 PM »

Don't know if this helps at all. The BMS guidance recommends:

"Medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA)
10 mg for 12 days a month (cyclical)
2.5 mg a day (continuous combined)"

So your GP is likely right about the 10mg continuously. Could you try going back to 5mg to see if the bleeding keeps at bay? In case it was a 'one off?

Meno44

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 12:30:44 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

I think I'll try and go back to the 5mg and pray the bleeding doesnt start again. I definitely can't stay on the Utrogestan, I feel awful!

Zoe

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 01:45:15 PM »

Yes, and at least you know there was nothing sinister going on with the last bleed. Hope it all settles soon.

Kelloggs

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2024, 09:50:01 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

I think I'll try and go back to the 5mg and pray the bleeding doesnt start again. I definitely can't stay on the Utrogestan, I feel awful!

Hi meno, did you cut down to 5mg? Did that solve your problem.
I’ve been on 10mg and bleeding started yesterday so have cut my patch in half and only taking 5mg of Provera. Really hoping this will work as sick of all the bleeding!!
Let me know how you got on when you have time X