Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Does this get better?  (Read 2240 times)

KaraShannon

Does this get better?
« on: February 11, 2023, 03:59:01 PM »

Hi all

Is menopause like a phase where things improve after a while and become stable again or is it just the start of all the problems of age coming, with some of us doing better at this stage than others. 

I was a healthy adult and now I can't move.  I can't move today as no energy at all.  I may as well be 80 or 90.  I've got to walk out to the shops but dreading it a bit because of postural hypotension.  That's improved by about 90% since reducing oestrogen.  I'm not fully there yet, still need to go down further but I'm doing it gradually.  Now I seem to get this hypotension just for a few days, but I'm in it at the moment.  During it I'm terribly dehydrated as well and can't drink enough to replenish, my skin on my finger tips crinkles.  Today it's much better so I think that's a sign I'm coming out of it but, I don't know, just when I'm like this I worry for my health.  It all started just before the lockdown and I went on hrt and felt better but up and down lately.

Has anyone else been through a rough phase and eventually come out of it?  I know for some hrt helps, and it has helped me, but I mean the more enduring things that hrt may not touch.  Anyone had those and felt like they came out the other side?

KaraShannon

Re: Does this get better?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 05:55:32 PM »

migraine and fluttery feelings in the chest (not the heart as I checked pulse), like a rising up feeling  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 05:57:27 PM »

Lack of VitD?

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 05:58:59 PM »

Lack of VitD?

Hi CLKD, is lack of vit D linked to any of this? 

I've just bought some juice that's vit D fortified, I'd better get it down me  ;D

How are you?   :)

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 06:59:03 PM »

Do you take a Vitamin D supplement KaraShannon? Mine was found to be low and had low energy muscles aches and cramps, digestive problems, crumbling nails, brittle hair, low mood and depression. Most people in the UK need a Vitamin D3 supplement from October to March.

Taz x

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 03:44:28 PM »

Do you take a Vitamin D supplement KaraShannon? Mine was found to be low and had low energy muscles aches and cramps, digestive problems, crumbling nails, brittle hair, low mood and depression. Most people in the UK need a Vitamin D3 supplement from October to March.

Taz x

I've been a bit reluctant Taz.  I might go and get some and take them, but I had read that vit d supplements are linked with parkinson's disease and also atrial fibrillation (of the heart) and because I have flutters already, I avoided taking them.

But maybe I should give it a go.  Everyone seems to be doing it and if I feel better I'll know.  I think those links I mentioned are also not clear and other research showing vit d prevents things so who knows

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 03:55:54 PM »

Today I can't move. 

I'm meant to be working from home but haven't been able to do a thing.  There's a lot of flexibility in my work so it will be done, but its really not good.

I spent most of the year on too much oestrogen.  I am weaning down and feel better as I'm not getting so much postural hypotension, I had it severely.  But I'm still not right.  I haven't weaned down totally yet though, I want to do it gradually.

It's sunny and yet I don't feel like going out for a walk.  I was never like this. 

I always feel better on the combined patch and drag myself through the estradiol only patch, though some months are easier than others.  Maybe it's time for evorel conti, but I always thought nature gave us a cycle and that's why I've stayed with evorel sequi. 

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 11:33:05 PM »

Taz x

I've been a bit reluctant Taz.  I might go and get some and take them, but I had read that vit d supplements are linked with parkinson's disease and also atrial fibrillation (of the heart) and because I have flutters already, I avoided taking them.

The link between Vitamin D and Parkinson's is that low levels of it are found in patients with Parkinsons. Could you have misinterpreted what you've read? I would suggest getting your level tested as if it's very low you will need a highe dose for a while.

Taz x

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 11:43:17 PM »

Taz, thanks, I've had another check and there is stuff about vit d overdose that can bring about those symptoms

It's the same with atrial fibrillation.  It's supposed to stop it from developing but in some studies there was a concern that it could bring it on. 

I'm sure it's about rare cases of toxicity only, and most people are fine with normal amounts (and I'm overthinking!)

Zoe

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 10:42:25 AM »

Hi, sounds like you are having an awful time. Re vitamins, you want to make sure that Vit D, magnesium and B12 are all in the correct ranges. Worth getting a blood test to reassure yourself. If they are, you can tick that off as sorted.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned sequi v conti. Some of us need the progesterone/progestin as much as the oestrogen. If you cope well with the norethisterone in Evorel Sequi, then changing to Conti might help even things out. You could also use just Evorel oestrogen patches and add 100mg Utrogestan (bio identical progesterone) each night. But you need some medical advice on this.

Changing to continuous progesterone can cause some breakthrough bleeding initially but, in principle, it is no different to having the Mirena coil before menopause, which is another option and would stop all bleeding after a while.

So, you have options to achieve a continuous regime.

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 10:50:28 AM »

I would echo the advice to get your vit levels checked then you'll be able take any supplements you need without worrying that you may be taking too much. I was vit d deficient in summer which was a surprise as I spend more time than most outside. We're at an age when the things we took for granted can start to go wrong.