Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 12 months post full Hysterectomy and suffering  (Read 3289 times)

Nicky73

• First Flush
12 months post full Hysterectomy and suffering
« on: February 16, 2023, 11:11:37 PM »

Hi everyone
So after many, many years of pain and suffering with bad periods and pain, 7 miscarriages, infertility and IVF I had to have a full hysterectomy on 14 Feb 2022.  The surgeon who had trouble removing my massively swollen womb said it should have been removed a long time ago. Anyway, I then had the shock of being dumped into instant menopause. It was awful. I was put on Estradot 50, then 75 and then 100. I get on well with these little patches but still suffering from bad anxiety and a bit of depression. I kept crying, driving to work crying, driving home crying, walking the dog and crying. Having melt downs at silly things. So GP put me on antidepressants 10 days ago. I said I would try them. Cutting a long story short, I don’t feel happy on them.  I have trouble with my vision, my sleeping, headaches, have had to work at home as frightened to commute as too dizzy and giddy. Just felt our if control. Couldn’t even have a drink which is my usual way of unwinding at the end of the day. I had a good talk with my hubby today and he googled natural remedies etc. and took himself off to Holland and Barrett and came back with some menopause vitamins and st.John’s wart combo.  I have decided to stop the antidepressants and try these natural things. I feel happier already having made this decision. I have tomorrow working from home and then a week of holiday so I think I am going to have a good rest and enjoy myself with my hubby and my doggie and be in control. 
What does everyone think? Do you have experiences similar to mine that you could share? X 

Taz2

Re: 12 months post full Hysterectomy and suffering
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 12:09:18 AM »

Hi Nicky73 I'm so sorry to learn of the difficult time you have had and are still having depression-wise. I just wanted to say that as far as I can remember St Johns Wort should not be taken if you are on HRT as it can reduce the effectiveness of the HRT. I haven't time to check right now so apologies if I'm wrong.

You will find lots of help and understanding here. Sorry for brief welcome but I'm just ferrying one of my son's back to his house.  :)

Taz x  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »

I wonder if you're not absorbing well so still need more oestrogen. Are you on testosterone too? If not I would ask for it. If your gp won't test your oestrogen levels you can get it done privately. If your gp won't give you a higher dose you can ask for a referral to an NHS menopause clinic.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 11:39:59 AM »

I could spit, yet another Surgeon not interested in womens' health  >:(

Why don't these Consultant discuss HRT etc. well B4 surgical intervention?  Women should not have to suffer!

Which AD has been prescribed?  Usually side effects wear off after about 10 days ....... 4 me it was the instant nausea that I was unable to tolerate. 

Many find that alcohol is 1 of the first things to give up due to intolerance during peri/menopause.  Also food stuffs may cause issues.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary is useful.

Natural isn't the same as 'safe', however H&B do have choice.  Was your DH asked about other medications that you might be using?  Certainly St John's wort should never be used with ADs.  Also, any benefit may be lost as hormone upheaval takes over.  Do be aware too that alternatives should't be taken for more than 3 months at a time and haven't been tested in the same way as prescription drugs.

I would, as sheila99 suggests, get onto a dedicated menopause clinic waiting list, if things improve B4 the appt pops up, you can cancel.  Let us know how you get on.

If you have anxiety then a specific anti-anxiety medication should be prescribed.  A few ADs can ease anxiety, however.  It's Trial and error finding something that might/not work.

Nicky73

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 01:00:12 PM »

Good morning 😀
Feeling so much brighter already having given up on the antidepressants!
Yes, found out about not taking St. John’s wart with my HRT so have instead got some Black Cohosh with some vitamins designed for menopause support. 
I felt sick and giddy and fatigued with Sertroline 50 with constant headache. It was awful, I couldn’t bear it any longer.
Unfortunately, I had no choice with having hysterectomy. It should have been done years ago but I kept putting it off. I just thought 12 months post surgery I would be settled by now on my HRT not feeling depressed and anxious. But, I think I have turned a corner and I have things to look forward to, including gorgeous weather for my dog walks today 😀😀🐕‍🦺

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 03:08:29 PM »

Hi just to say you might find adding in testosterone will make a huge difference. This should have been offered following your full hysterectomy assuming you mean your ovaries were taken too. I am in the same situation as you and wouldn't want to be without my testosterone hit! It will lift your mood, give you more get up and go and a sense of well being x

Nicky73

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 05:53:02 PM »

Hi Gnatty

Yes I had full hysterectomy, womb, ovaries and cervix removed.
I will definitely ask my GP about having some testosterone. What do you have?
I am currently on Estradot 100 patches and vagifem pessary.  Thanks for advice x

Perinowpost

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 07:03:34 PM »

Just for add to what the others have said maybe try adding testosterone into the mix. Also I found evorel patches much better then estradot so you could change. Finally alcohol and antidepressants certainly don’t mix, also ant d’s should not be offered for menopause symptoms but hrt. Glad you’re feeling better, trust your instincts x

Gnatty

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 07:17:11 PM »

I take four pumps of oestrogel, three in the morning and one in the evening. I use testim every morning and although I don't need to I have started taking utrogestan at night time because I kept getting periods of really bad insomnia. The utrogestan seems to be sorting this out.