Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: REALLY struggling with my eyes….  (Read 1631 times)

alibeau

REALLY struggling with my eyes….
« on: February 16, 2023, 08:09:51 PM »

I’ve always been very short sighted.

I lost the very central vision in my right eye about 18 months ago due to my high myopia.

In November last year I felt I was experiencing deterioration in my left eye, optician thoroughly checked me over and said it was down to severe dryness.

Then took a long haul flight in December which just exasperated the problem. I hadn’t even considered that this might cause me problems.

I contacted my optician on my return as my eyes were feeling really uncomfortable.  She said I was doing all the right things ie stopped wearing my contacts, warm eye masks, omega supplements, drops, gels, ointments etc etc

Things continued to get worse and by now really painful, referred to eye hospital who found I had abrasions on my good eye which they needed to treat aggressively with antibiotics for fear of them becoming infected.

Fast forward a few weeks, abrasions all healed and I have now had punctal plugs fitted (little bungs put in my drainage holes to try to preserve any moisture on my eyes as it can’t drain away as easily).

I am feeling slight relief but still using eye masks, drops and gels throughout the day and ointment at night.

I am struggling to return to work as this involves computer screens all day. I have bought myself new ‘eye care’ monitors and take regular breaks.

I am allowed to drive in my glasses but my vision is better with my contacts and so I am longing to get back to them….

Optician mentioned that HRT can make this problem worse, I understand it was a kind of throw away comment but…..

I am currently on 3 pumps of Oestrogel and utrogestan 14 nights out of 28.

I am considering dropping my Oestrogel dose to two pumps to see if it helps at all?

It’s just that this eye problem currently out weighs all of my menopause symptoms as my life is kind of on hold until my eyes feel better.

So sorry for long post, just wondered if anyone has had similar eye issues?

Thanks so much.

Ali x
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:12:32 PM by alibeau »

Katherine

Re: REALLY struggling with my eyes….
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 08:23:09 PM »

Hi Ali, I’m on oestrogel and utrogestan and am short sighted but haven’t noticed any changes in my eyes since starting HRT. I do get dry eyes though and find that drinking plenty of water lubricates my eyes and helps my vision.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 11:05:06 PM »

I haven't heard of oestrogen causing eye problems. Did he come up with any research to back it up? I'm short sighted too. The 'normal' short sighted eye hasn't changed. The one that I had laser treatment on is much worse, it's getting short sighted again and the vision is much less sharp than the other one. Feel a bit cheated really, I haven't had to correct my eyesight for years but now wear a contact lens in the 'normal' eye.
I haven't heard of losing central vision because of high myopia either - can you tell me about it? Sounds a bit worrying.

alibeau

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 12:03:48 AM »

Thank you both.

Zero to back up her statement (young woman optician)….

My myopia is ridiculously high, -16 in my worse eye and something like -14 in my ‘good’ eye…..

Therefore my eye balls are shaped like rugby balls rather than footballs and so the strain on the back of my eye meant that the layers separated and resulted in me losing my central vision which is pants obvs… but i managed to adjust.

I’m ‘only’ 50 and so although I know there is no cure for dry eyes, I just wish I could find some relief and get my everyday life back on track.

I’m hoping my punctal plugs just need a bit longer to do their thing as they have a really good result rate, fingers crossed!!

sammy828

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 12:23:55 AM »

So sorry about your struggles; I have a bit of that myself.  Sounds like you are doing everything you can.  I definitely feel for you.  Yes, on the studies it does reference dry eye as more common in women taking HRT.  But it doesn’t mean yours is from HRT.  i hope things improve for you!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 07:45:11 AM »

HRT was probably a throw away line from someone a) not knowing anything about peri-menopause and b) it's in the news all the while so she jumped on the band wagon (what ever that might be)  ::)

:welcomemm:

alibeau

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »

Yes agree CLKD and thanks to both you and sammy828.

I’ve had an email from Hycosan (manufacturer of eye products) and they have given me some good advice, saying I can mix together certain products and use more frequently than instructions etc

So I’m on a mission to reduce my screen time back to a minimum (she says whilst typing on her iPad!) and give this new eye drop regime a good go before my next appointment at the eye hospital.

Thanks again to all, it really is just a great help to get it all off my chest!

Ali x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 03:52:20 PM »

It's all about sharing experiences and using what suits at the time  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 12:27:26 PM »

alibeau -  The statement your optician made about HRT making the situation worse just sounds out and out wrong. Dryness comes with menopause, HRT helps to correct that - what sources did she give?
I have been in a similar situation to you bad eye was -10.50 good eye was -8.50. I too was totally dependent on GP contact lenses BUT my eyes started getting really dry and I also got some very nasty infected meibomian gland cysts. Anyway, once we got the cysts sorted I have had IOLs implanted - cataract surgery (even though the cataracts were very slight). It has been life changing, I had to get it done privately but you may be able to get it done on the NHS.  Really hope you get something sorted out.

alibeau

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 05:44:31 PM »

alibeau -  The statement your optician made about HRT making the situation worse just sounds out and out wrong. Dryness comes with menopause, HRT helps to correct that - what sources did she give?
I have been in a similar situation to you bad eye was -10.50 good eye was -8.50. I too was totally dependent on GP contact lenses BUT my eyes started getting really dry and I also got some very nasty infected meibomian gland cysts. Anyway, once we got the cysts sorted I have had IOLs implanted - cataract surgery (even though the cataracts were very slight). It has been life changing, I had to get it done privately but you may be able to get it done on the NHS.  Really hope you get something sorted out.

Thanks for your reply, very interesting!

As I say, optician gave no more info on her HRT comment, as CLKD said I think it was a flippant comment…..

Very interested in IOL. I thought about that type of thing many years ago…. I wonder if they would be loathed to do any procedure on me given I only have one good eye and all procedures carry risk?

I don’t know…. I will absolutely mention at my next check up in a fortnight as my vision is so much better with contacts, I feel my life is on hold at the mo whilst having to wear my specs and I’m ‘only’ 50….

Again, appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks 😊

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 07:47:00 PM »

Alibeau - I have PMd you.
I was 64 when I got my IOLs done. Life is way too short not to be able to see properly.

alibeau

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »

Alibeau - I have PMd you.
I was 64 when I got my IOLs done. Life is way too short not to be able to see properly.

Got your PM, thank you Limpy  :)

I’m just not sure that I’m a suitable candidate, I’ve had a little read of the NHS website. Two types of lens surgery, PIOL and RLE. Reads as though PIOL is far less risky, I would still need reading glasses but I wouldn’t give two hoots about that….

My confidence was really knocked when I lost the central vision in my right eye, my peripheral vision remains great and is very useful when driving etc. I was just getting myself together again only to now have to go back to glasses which has again knocked my confidence.

Whenever they test my vision (with glasses) I am within safe limits to drive etc I guess I am just used to it being better with my contacts…..

Really appreciate your info and will ask the consultant next time.

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 08:22:33 PM »

You are welcome Alibeau. Your loss of central vision is something I have no knowledge of BUT it's brilliant that you are ok to drive. I know exactly what you mean about contacts being easier to drive with, but needs must if you can bear it with the glasses.
What would really help now is to carry on with the heated eye pads and keep your eyes fully hydrated. For me I became sensitised to the preservatives in general eye moisturisers. I have been able to get Hyabak preservative free eye drops on prescription they have helped so much - even after the IOLs.

alibeau

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 03:50:30 PM »

Thanks again Limpy 😊

Yes, I use a warming eye mask first thing in the morning and when I go to bed.

Using drops and gels throughout the day and ointment at bedtime.

Fingers crossed for some improvement soon and thanks for all your help x