Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best herb /vit/supplement for insomnia  (Read 9137 times)

Madeline

Best herb /vit/supplement for insomnia
« on: February 14, 2023, 08:50:13 PM »

Hi girls.

After years of being up and down on hrt I've decided to stop and see what happens.

One of yy main concerns is insomnia where I would wake at 4am every night with anxiety.

Any advice please.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:52:46 PM by Madeline »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Best herb supplement for insomnia
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 08:52:36 PM »

MayB keep the two topics on one thread  :-\

Madeline

Re: Best herb supplement for insomnia
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 11:51:39 PM »

Thank you CLKD but I thought it was a good idea to split them. Makes it easier for people searching for support in either one of the areas.

HelloSam666

Re: Best herb /vit/supplement for insomnia
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 08:53:21 AM »

Hi Madeline,

progesterone cream has helped me a lot but i still get bouts of insomnia occasionally. I tried so many OTC medications and none really helped properly. The best thing i have found (and i wish i had known about it earlier) was a supplement called GABA. It is nothing short of amazing for me. I use this brand from iHerb: NOW Foods, Chewable GABA, Natural Orange Flavor, 90 Chewables.  I take 1 about 30 minutes before i want to close my eyes and sleep. And if i wake up in the night, i might take half and i'm back asleep within 15 minutes. I heard about it from the Reddit menopause forum.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:49:18 AM by HelloSam666 »

Madeline

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 10:21:12 AM »

HelloSam666 thanks for your reply. Wow I have never heard of that before. I must look into it. I know coming off hrt its going to lead me down this road again of Insomina so will try anything , I have an account with Iherb aswell.
Do they make you groggy the next day? I have taken piriton in the past and nytol but wake up feeling drugged  ::)
I must also try magnesium again, I have tried mag 365 but maybe need to stick with it longer.
Thanks again for your reply x

HelloSam666

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 10:26:01 AM »

Hi Madeline,

yes i've tried those too and it takes ages in the morning to feel alert and normal again. I wouldn't mind if they worked really well but they're hit and miss to be honest - with me at least. No side effects with the GABA which apart from them working for me is such a bonus.

Also the GABA supplements are calming too so you might be able to kill two birds with stone re anxiety. Good luck Madeline x

Madeline

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 01:45:27 PM »

Omg HelloSam666 they sound amazing, definitely worth a try , thanks so much xx

HelloSam666

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 01:54:44 PM »

You're welcome Madeline and you need to get that particular type of GABA i mentioned not the ones with B6 in them (same brand) as they don't work the same for sleep - for me anyway  :). Sam x

canadagirl

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 07:31:18 PM »

For me I love a good Magnesium and 10mg of melatonin -- what a combo.  Another great one is some kind of all CBD supplement -- me I like a 30mg gummy that is only CBD, no THC at all.  You can get these anywhere regardless of the legality of cannabis where you live because CBD is legal anywhere.  A million companies make them.  MySoul is a great one if you can get it but really, any are good.

Madeline

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 07:46:39 PM »

You're welcome Madeline and you need to get that particular type of GABA i mentioned not the ones with B6 in them (same brand) as they don't work the same for sleep - for me anyway  :). Sam x

Well that's interesting as anything with bit s in them keep me awake.. I'll definitely buy them xx

Madeline

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 07:49:07 PM »

For me I love a good Magnesium and 10mg of melatonin -- what a combo.  Another great one is some kind of all CBD supplement -- me I like a 30mg gummy that is only CBD, no THC at all.  You can get these anywhere regardless of the legality of cannabis where you live because CBD is legal anywhere.  A million companies make them.  MySoul is a great one if you can get it but really, any are good.

Thanks for replying Canadagirl.

I've never taken melatonin but have tried magnesium. Where do you buy the melatonin please and what type oh mag do you use?

I've tried cbd oil, definitely made me more relaxed but my appetite went through the roof ;D. Xx

canadagirl

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 10:10:50 PM »

I also REALLY love the CBD/Melatonin combo gummies -- if you can find those I highly recommend them.  For sleep you can't get much better than that combo. I slept like THE DEAD.  It was crazy.  My melatonin is just a 10mg that I found at my local pharmacy - wasn't anything special.  I can't remember the brand but I literally just grabbed whatever was 10mg off the shelf so I didn't think too much about it.  The 5mg (which is the most common dosage) didn't really do it for me.  My magnesium is just a Jamieson's brand.

Madeline

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 11:12:44 AM »

Thank you canadagirl. I will definetly look out fo rthose.

I ordered the gaba orange chewies thatHelloSam666 mentioned the other day and will see how I fair with these and if that doesn't work I will try those gummies canadagirl.

I am weaning myself off hrt. On 1 pump at the minute of oestragel and dreading the progesterone in a weeks time but then I will stop.

I have to sat I am feeling much better in myself coming down from 3 to 2 and now 1. My mood is a bit angry at times but nothing like when I am on progesterone, the devils medicine imo.

Thanks girls I will let you know how I go, kisses to all x

HelloSam666

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 11:30:35 AM »

Let us know how you get on Madeline and for reference, the GABA supplements worked the first night i tried them. Now, could be just luck and i was a bit cynical - thinking nothing works for me, but they did and have done every time i took them. We're all different though but fingers crossed :-D x

Sophya

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2024, 11:16:06 AM »

Sorry for reviving this thread. I saw others mentioned CBD and I'd like to support this.
I take one CBD gummy before bedtime every night, and it helps me relax, making it easier to fall asleep. I only buy them from one store, joyorganics.com. I usually purchase two packs of 55 gummies total for $80, which lasts me for 2 months.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 01:52:37 PM by Sophya »
Pages: [1] 2