Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I'm at the end of my tether.....  (Read 1219 times)

Mrstomhardy50

I'm at the end of my tether.....
« on: February 14, 2023, 06:20:32 PM »

Hey lovelies,

I posted recently regarding vaginal atrophy and you were all so kind.  My dr had a face to face appointment with me last week, took swabs (even tho there was no reason to) and said although soreness was likely due to hormonal changes that if swabs came back clear (which they did) she would prescribe me with some local estrogen.  I phoned yesterday (Monday) to request the prescription (dr advised to ring once the tests were clear to remind her to dispense a prescription) and basically the long and short of it is I've had to put the request online for my doctor to dispense the medication which means I now likely have a 72 hour wait before the simple job of sending the request to my local pharmacy happens.  I asked when this would happen but the receptionists at my practice are beyond rude and ignorant............

I am struggling to a point not only with this but a ton of other peri menopausal symptoms which I won't bore you with.  I am 50 and whilst my dr acknowledges I am peri menopausal, getting anywhere with any kind of HRT, basically I have hit a brick wall..

I am feeling at my absolute lowest, I don't know where to turn and it feels like I'm just stuck in a dr lottery when it comes to the offering of HRT.  My sister who is 47 however, has the exact same dr as me, at the same practice, has been offered an appointment to discuss HRT with the nurse practitioner...............this makes absolutely no sense and actually makes me really angry.

I've tried ringing and speaking to the receptionist who are just the most rude, obnoxious people I've ever come across. I've put in a request online saying that I want an appointment and I would like HRT in a last ditch attempt tbh.

I am now feeling so depressed with the whole situation I'm worried for my mental health.  I'm emotional, snappy and trying to keep my head above water whilst trying to manage the symptoms of chronic migraine, IBS and Fibromyalgia running alongside peri-menopause symptoms.  I'm so so sad and desperate I am considering buying HRT out of my own pocket because I simply can't go on in my current state.  Please tell me I'm not alone, it actually makes me so upset that all I want is some support and yet my Dr is acting like a gatekeeper.

Thanks for reading, Kerry xxxx

jaypo

Re: I'm at the end of my tether.....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 06:30:04 PM »

Hi there, I would go back and say you are a member of this forum and you KNOW it's your decision whether you get HRT or not,sadly some receptionists think they are actual Drs and can be very abrupt but insist you want another appointment to discuss HRT,it IS your right,or as to be referred to a meno clinic x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 06:45:38 PM »

I am so so sorry you are going through this. It is so unfair to have to fight for HRT. I know what you mean about rude reception staff making any calls a nightmare. Even the Dr insisting on a swab test was out of order in my opinion especially when you are so sore. It is natural to experience VA and does not need swabs, tests etc. It really is like they are gatekeeping HRT. I fully understand why you are upset and angry and when feeling low this is the last thing you need.

Is it possible to send a firm message saying you need your HRT immediately and that you are in severe pain? I know this is unfair but while you are waiting perhaps you could buy Gina. This is the same as vagifem but available over the counter for anybody over 50.

I think it may help for the practice manager to know all of this. It is very unprofessional and unfair of the Dr to treat you this way. I expect things will move quickly once the practice manager knows.

You are not alone. We are all here to listen and support you. We know what this is like as so many of us have had to struggle to be heard too.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 07:23:44 PM »

You can take control of your VA treatment yourself while you wait for your surgery to get their act together.
Buy Gina pessaries, Ovestin cream is available through Superdrug online pharmacy and a feminine moisturiser, Yes or Sylk are popular.

If you are an NHS patient you should not have to buy VA treatment, you are entitled to a prescription from your GP.  I would be as angry as hell and make sure the surgery knows that in desperation you had to buy the treatment yourself!!

Mogster71

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 08:27:29 PM »

I would certainly speak to the Practice Manager at your surgery and complain about your treatment (or lack of)... the constant fight to get what you need is  detrimental to your wellbeing and they need to know.

I hope you can get through and make some progress so you can feel well x

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 08:21:24 AM »

hi, I agree with Mogster71. 

Get the name of your practice manager and make a complaint.

can you see another doctor or i know its extreme but register with another surgery.

i really hope you get sorted xx

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 11:15:07 AM »

Hello Mrstomhardy 50  and welcome to the forum.

It is appalling that you have been treated so badly.

I agree with all the other suggestions but as your sister has an appointment with the nurse practitioner could you contact the surgery and ask for the same?  It appears that many GPs are delegating their case load to NPs and this may work to your advantage. If you and your sister are similar health wise, there is no reason to deny you a consultation about HRT. You may also ask to be referred to a menopause clinic if your surgery continue to be obstructive.

I hope this helps you in some way and take care.

K.

HellsBells

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 12:15:29 PM »

If you've been badly treated and have the money go private. So many medics complain about the marching towards private healthcare whilst treating us with disdain. Do what's best for you asap.