Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HRT after 60  (Read 1152 times)

Katty

HRT after 60
« on: February 14, 2023, 11:44:42 AM »

I have been on HRT for 6 years. I was on Kliofem until about 18 months ago when my doctor suggested the half dose of it so have been on Kliovance ever since. I had a review today and doctor is leaving me on it for now but is obviously looking to discontinue. I thought that the thinking had changed and you could stay on it indefinitely. He said that benefits after 60 are limited. He's a young doctor so its not old attitudes that shape his thinking. I was hoping to continue with it for years to come and enjoy the benefits particularly the better vaginal health etc. I have tried vagifem in the past and for me the systemic HRT I am on worked better. I'm a bit confused after the appointment. I thought given all the publicity with people like Davina Mccall over recent years that there was a view that HRT was benificial as long as you wanted it. I know it's not the same for everyone as some people have risks that rule it out.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT after 60
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 11:47:12 AM »

U can continue on HRT for ever.  Your GP needs to update his NICE recommendations and join us on here! 

If a patient has had the apparent risks explained: in any speciality : and decides that quality of life is worth thoses risks, it should be up to the patient. MayB ask your surgery to refer you to a dedicated menopause clinic - there are lists so that sooner the better.

I amazes me that GPs want to take women off HRT when they would never consider stopping heart/thyroid/diabetic treatments  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 11:47:34 AM »

U could send an e-mail query to Dr Currie so that you have a firm response to give to the Practice - there is a charge.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 11:48:06 AM »

This is so frustrating Katty. You can stay on HRT for life and there are lots of benefits, including protecting the bones. Sounds to me like this DR is uneducated despite his age. :(

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 11:49:54 AM »

Because of his age?  No menopause education in GP Trainee Courses?  It shouldn't be up to patients to educate the medication profession, however: this. might be a chance to build a working relationship to educate him? 

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 12:28:23 PM »

Hi Katty. You can, of course, stay on HRT forever. However, the medics may want you to switch to transdermal methods, which are considered preferable for the over 60s as they bypass the liver. I'm not sure how much it matters, though.
JP x

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 12:31:25 PM »

Katty, there is no reason for your Doctor to take you off HRT. You can indeed stay on it for life if it suits you. Refer your G.P to the NICE guidelines which clearly state this, or print them out and take them with you.
The problem is that many G.Ps seem to know very little about the menopause and HRT; you would think they would try to appraise themselves of the current advice, especially in the light of the recent much needed publicity,  but sadly this does not seem to be the case!

Opal

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 12:40:02 PM »

I have been told by GP it is up to me how long I stay on it but he feels the benefits outweigh the negatives, so they will need to prise it out of my dead hand no way am I stopping I tried once and it was dreadful

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 12:44:21 PM »

I am 70 and have been on HRT since I was 42 when my ovaries and womb were removed.  My Meno consultant has told me I can stay on HRT for as long as I want to providing no health issues which would preclude it don't arise.  Have to say there is no way I want to stop it.  When I had to cut down last year and change medications due to the shortages it was a total nightmare and I am only just beginning to get back to some sort of normaiity.  Do hope you can sort things out so you can stay on HRT if you wish to.  Your body - your decision xx

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 01:16:39 PM »

You can stay on hrt and stay on oral hrt for as long as you want. Transdermal may be “safer” but you don’t need to change. If it’s working for you then I’d stay on it. x

Katty

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 01:25:07 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I had thought that many women were now on HRT past 60 so was surprised when it was raised. I thought that battle had been won, it appears not. I do wonder also if there's another agenda here. I have just started getting free prescriptions because I am over 60. In this political climate nothing would surprise me. Out of my friends I am the only one on HRT. It seems the others were all scared off it and they've always acted as though I am taking a huge risk. One friend had terrible vaginal issues and after trying YES that I recommend she felt much better but HRT would have prevented all that and given her better results. I can't believe after all the programmes on TV etc so few women are comfortable coming forward for HRT. It's not surprising as the GP acts like you're asking for a rare medication that can only be accessed on foot at the top of the Himalayas.

Mary G

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 01:43:05 PM »

It sounds like this doctor is trying to stop your HRT for the sheer hell of it and with no reasonable explanation.   I would never allow a doctor to stop my HRT if I was happy with it and I was free of contraindications.  There is only one person who decides whether or not I use HRT and that is me.

I would buy it online if I had to or find a private doctor to prescribe it.

From what I have read, very few women in the UK take HRT so the message is still not really getting through.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 01:43:11 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I had thought that many women were now on HRT past 60 so was surprised when it was raised. I thought that battle had been won, it appears not. I do wonder also if there's another agenda here. I have just started getting free prescriptions because I am over 60. In this political climate nothing would surprise me. Out of my friends I am the only one on HRT. It seems the others were all scared off it and they've always acted as though I am taking a huge risk. One friend had terrible vaginal issues and after trying YES that I recommend she felt much better but HRT would have prevented all that and given her better results. I can't believe after all the programmes on TV etc so few women are comfortable coming forward for HRT. It's not surprising as the GP acts like you're asking for a rare medication that can only be accessed on foot at the top of the Himalayas.

I notice that too. Many women I talk to who clearly have meno symptoms say they do not want HRT. I feel there is still a stigma attached to it from the stupid stories in the media in the 60s that were based on the old HRT.

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2023, 01:59:51 PM »

Menopause was/is an optional topic at medical school. There are plans to make it compulsory but I'm not sure if they've come in yet. Anyone already qualified may not have had any training at all (or perhaps all they've heard is the joke that all women are meno by 54).

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2023, 05:03:44 PM »

I rarely discuss my health issues with others except on here.  That way I don't get the "I shouldn't do that X, Y, Z".   .......... when I was depressed my Mum said "You don't want to be depressed"  >:(.  Nope.  However .......

MayB have a word with the Practice Manager who may be more up2date about menopause treatments, I would want to know where that particular GP got his ideas other than being a bloke  :(.
Pages: [1] 2