Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newly diagnosed with Osteoporosis  (Read 3096 times)

Jillyboo

Re: Newly diagnosed with Osteoporosis
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 05:44:05 PM »

With regard to HRT I don't think it's usually recommended as a treatment  for osteoporosis but rather as a preventative if started soon enough.

After my last DEXA scan my GP said I had enough bone density 'in the bank' now that I should be fine even if I chose to stop taking HRT.

sprush1

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 05:55:53 PM »

That’s great Jillyboo
What do you think has contributed to your increased bone density?

Jillyboo

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 06:19:17 PM »

Mostly HRT - though I may have been lucky enough not to have inherited the family tendency. My sister has been diagnosed with osteopaenia. She had an earlier menopause than me and hasn't taken HRT but is probably more physically active. She is definitely of slighter build. Im sure oestrogen loss plays a major role since its mainly post menopausal women who develop it.

sprush1

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 07:09:29 PM »

Thanks Jillyboo
How long have you been on HRT?
I only started Evorel in July last year at half a patch twice a week. Probably not a high enough dose to be of benefit.
Can’t tolerate the full patch.

Jillyboo

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 04:04:43 PM »

I've been on it for over a decade - started as soon as I started having regular hot flushes.

The beauty of the system then was that my GP also knew my mum and had seen me accompanying her on appointments so he knew both my sister and I could be at risk.

Face to face appointments like that with a doctor who knew the whole family really worked but seem such a luxury now!!

Have you considered using oestrogel? You are more in control of the dosage and could start low and work your way up to the 'bone sparing' dose gradually according to tolerance.

buffy26

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2023, 08:34:35 PM »

Hello Sprush1

I really relate to how you feel. I have osteopenia, diagnosed last year and am really worried as I was in an accident as a passenger and hurt my neck and then was hit by a car whilst parked up 6 months later and that shunt has caused no end of problems with my spine. I am currently on crutches with another episode with my back. I feel vulnerable and fragile too. I am 60. My son who is 30 is scared to move out and leave me living alone because he sees this but I feel so guilty about it. My daughter doesn't live here now but she worries a lot too. I didn't expect to be a burden at this age.
I am always reading up to find answers and to stay positive, trying to feel grateful that we have options and access to information, we can get through this. Sharing information and speaking to others is so helpful. 
I am sure I read somewhere that estrogen is a treatment for improving bone density, I read a lot of clinical papers as I trust them more than articles. Will see if I can find it.

buffy26

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2023, 08:40:02 PM »

I meant to say, your GP isn't very helpful refusing a hormone blood test. I have had three done in the last year to check if I am absorbing hrt and then to monitor. I wasn't absorbing on the patches and this is common. How are you to assess the efficacy otherwise. The side effects do settle after a few months. I recommend a great book called Oestrogen Matters, which brings is home how much we need that hormone and how it can protect everthing. Heart, bones and so much more.  If I were you I would insist or ask to see another GP.

sprush1

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2023, 10:01:03 PM »

Buffy26 and Jillyboo
Thank you so much for your responses.
Buffy26 I’m so sorry to hear what happened to you. Bless you I fully understand how you are feeling. When I broke my wrist I also badly damaged my adductor muscles and hobbled with a stick and was confined to downstairs for 6 weeks. Try not to feel guilty about your son. He will feel better helping you at home and if he moved out just now he would feel worse. I hope you will gradually get better and be back to how you were. I too, think my GP isn’t being very helpful about the blood test. She is calling me again on Monday and I will ask her again if I can have one.

Jillyboo how lovely that you have the bonus of seeing a GP who knows you and your family,
I’ve got a long way to go to be on HRT for 10 years. I’m 65. I hadn’t heard about Oestrogel, I might ask about it.
Also thanks for the book recommendation I’ll see if I can order it.
I’ve just ordered a Tai Chi for Osteoporosis DVD on eBay. Bought Soy Milk, prunes and flax seeds today too. All from Lidl to keep the cost down.
At least I’m being proactive!

Bungo

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2023, 04:26:03 PM »

I meant to say, your GP isn't very helpful refusing a hormone blood test. I have had three done in the last year to check if I am absorbing hrt and then to monitor. I wasn't absorbing on the patches and this is common. How are you to assess the efficacy otherwise. The side effects do settle after a few months. I recommend a great book called Oestrogen Matters, which brings is home how much we need that hormone and how it can protect everthing. Heart, bones and so much more.  If I were you I would insist or ask to see another GP.
I'm taking hrt mainly for bone density. Last few  blood test I took, I hadn't used gel for almost 24 hours and levels were between 160 and 170. I'd read that need higher levels for bone but wondering if the low level is because the oestrogel had all been metabolised . If I had taken bloods 12 hours after applying gel, levels could be 300 so I'm ok and dont  need to increase? What were your levels and  were you wearing patch when bloods were taken?

sprush1

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2023, 05:26:12 PM »

That’s interesting Bungo.

Jillyboo is Oestrogel for people who have had a surgically induced menopause, because I haven’t?

Jillyboo

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »

No Oestrogel is for any woman who needs it as part of HRT.  If you still have a womb you will also need to take a separate progesterone.

buffy26

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2023, 07:10:05 PM »

Buffy26 and Jillyboo
Thank you so much for your responses.
Buffy26 I’m so sorry to hear what happened to you. Bless you I fully understand how you are feeling. When I broke my wrist I also badly damaged my adductor muscles and hobbled with a stick and was confined to downstairs for 6 weeks. Try not to feel guilty about your son. He will feel better helping you at home and if he moved out just now he would feel worse. I hope you will gradually get better and be back to how you were. I too, think my GP isn’t being very helpful about the blood test. She is calling me again on Monday and I will ask her again if I can have one.

Thank you for your kind response. Yes everyday I feel stronger so fingers crossed! How did you get on with your doc requesting the bloods?
Pages: 1 [2]