Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Allergies  (Read 1601 times)

Melp

Allergies
« on: February 21, 2023, 09:42:11 AM »

Hello everyone, I am 49 and in perimenopause so still having regular periods. I was 2 weeks away from being on HRT for 3 months but was told by my gp to come off HRT evorel patches because of breakthrough bleeding. I am scheduled a scan in 6 weeks. Hope this is nothing to worry about. My perimenopause symptoms have instantly returned so now looking for alternatives in the meantime. I have bought Health & Her perimenpause supplements to try but my main concern is that I have in the last few months developed rhinitis allergy. Anyone else had this as a symptom? HRT really helped with my breathing as i am also asthmatic.  I've requested an allergy test but doctors have ignored this. I have 3 cats but not sure if it's them as have had cats all my life so just wondering if this is part of a menopausal symptom. They have put me on a steroid nasal spray which has helped but my inhalers don't seem to work effectively now either. Wondering whether to try A.Vogel hayfever relief as a natural supplement. Could do with some advice if anyone else has experienced the same 🙂
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:08:09 AM by Melp »

Dotty

Re: Allergies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 09:54:06 AM »

Hi if you are in peri menopause then you should have been given Evorel Sequi. Evorel Conti is for post menopausal ladies who don’t have periods. This is probably the reason for your bleeding. x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 09:55:20 AM »

I too have worse allergies since peri. I have always taken an antihistamine, Cetirizine but now I also take Desloratadine. I can also imagine you may be reacting to your cats because I have always been fine having guinea pigs but now I cannot be around hay at all. You may also find it helpful to get an air purifier.

Melp

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 10:21:16 AM »

Thank you ladies. Sorry I did mean to mention I was on HRT Evorel Sequi which contains the 50 and the conti. So was on the correct HRT. I suspect it is now due to the cats that I have suddenly developed allergies.  When I mentioned this to my gp she was adament I re home them. She gave me an ultimatum of are you going to re home them or do you want to take antihistamines for the rest of your life! I was shocked considering ive not even been tested!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 10:36:53 AM »

Thank you ladies. Sorry I did mean to mention I was on HRT Evorel Sequi which contains the 50 and the conti. So was on the correct HRT. I suspect it is now due to the cats that I have suddenly developed allergies.  When I mentioned this to my gp she was adament I re home them. She gave me an ultimatum of are you going to re home them or do you want to take antihistamines for the rest of your life! I was shocked considering ive not even been tested!

That is a horrible thing for the GP to say! I have said that to me before by a GP too. They are clearly not animal lovers.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 11:03:20 AM »

When I had breakthrough bleeding investigated I was told to continue HRT before the scan to give a true picture of what was happening. The differences in advice and guidance is astonishing.

Taz x

Melp

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 11:54:51 AM »

Yes that is a horrible thing to say. She is not a very nice doctor and I have tried to avoid her at my practice at all costs!
She was very abrupt in telling me to immediately come off HRT as I may have womb cancer and she was going to book me in for a scan in 6 weeks. She does not have no bedside manner. I sought a 2nd opinion from my own gp who is ex gynaecologist and told me to come off it just so they can see what's happening but with his explanation it was a lot clearer although still worried to say the least. Very conflicting when you read that breakthrough bleeding happens when on the sequin patch. It's probably that I'm producing too much oestrogen and not getting enough progestogen to protect the womb.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 01:49:18 PM »

I'm confused. You say you're on evorel sequi? So you should expect a bleed every month. So why are they sending you for a scan? As you had regular periods 3 months ago before you started hrt and you are on conti you can expect breakthrough bleeding too as it's too soon for a conti regime. You should be given conti if you've been a year without a bleed (meno), if not you're still peri and should have been given sequi where you have a monthly bleed.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 06:36:15 PM »

Maybe the confusion is in the fact that both seqi and conti contain the conti patches. If you are on Evorel sequi HRT which gives a monthly bleed then you will have two weeks of using an Evorel 50 patch and then two weeks of an Evorel conti patch. If you are on a conti regime  which doesn't give a regular monthly bleed (but can cause breakthrough bleeding) then all of your patches will be Evorel conti. Hope this helps to determine which one you were given.

Taz x

Melp

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 10:12:03 AM »

Hello apologies if everyone is getting confused, however I was on the correct HRT. But my original post was regarding allergies and advice on supplements to take but this seems to have taken a different turn on what HRT I should be on.