Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT excema and bloating  (Read 1393 times)

JoDo63

• First Flush
HRT excema and bloating
« on: February 13, 2023, 01:35:15 AM »

Hi all. Mine is a bit of an unusual query.i am 59 . I did not realise I was feeling so bloated until I came off HRT for other reasons. I thought the HRT may have exacerbated my excema as I have been plagued by frequent flare ups since starting HRT over 6 months ago. Anyway coming off it has not helped my skin but a pleasant side effect was a flatter stomach and generally feeling better in myself. The less pleasant side effects were insomnia and vaginal discomfort. So , not realising how bloated I had been on HRT I went back on it 3 days ago. I am already feeling uncomfortably bloated . That is when I put 2 and 2 together. ( I had also been avoiding wheat as my dad's skin was affected by coeliac disease and put the lack of bloating down to that). Now I am not so sure? I am trying to decide what is the lesser if 2 evils. If I can treat the vaginal discomfort and insomnia in other ways I think I would prefer to stay off the HRT. Anyone any suggestions of how I do so? Would vaginal pessary or creams work ? Any remedies for insomnia? Anyone been in a similar position to me? Don't know which way to turn . I could go to GP but would prefer to know what to ask or request without a little bit of guidance from you girls. Hope someone can help or advise...ps I am not overweight and otherwise healthy.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT excema and bloating
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 09:55:59 AM »

Morning.

Bloating can be a side effect of some HRT .

Vaginal atrophy is the easier one to treat: caused by a loss of oestrogen over the years, the area becomes dry with less elasticity.  Leading to dryness, sometimes ithyncess - using appropriate treatment nightly for 2-3 weeks then 'as necessary', every 3rd and 5/6th night is suggested though many require nightly insertion: I use 'ovestin', others do well with 'vagifem' - moisturisers or 'ovestin' smeared on the outer labia is also helpful for some.

Insomnia - how is your over all sleep pattern?  Often we think that we need 'more' sleep than we actually require.  Apparently as we age we need less  ::).  Which means that I am no told as I could sleep for England!

A sleep routine could be useful.  I used to wake up to see whether I'd been asleep when I had problems in the 1980s  ::)

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes ;-)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 10:08:34 AM »

Hello Jodo63 and welcome to the forum. Is it possible to cut out wheat again just to see if that is causing your bloat? I think coeliac often runs in families so with your dad having it, it is possible you do too. If you cut out wheat again and you still feel bloated then it could be you need to be on a different HRT.

As CLKD said, you will benefit from localised oestrogen to treat the vaginal discomfort.

JoDo63

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 12:08:32 PM »

Hi girls, thanks for your advice. In answer to you both I remained off the wheat products but still bloated up on the HRT. I had always been a good sleeper up until menopause. During g menopause I would be wide awake until sometimes 5am. When I eventually get to sleep I sleep well. HRT enabled me to get to sleep at a reasonable time and remain asleep , however, off the HRT I am back to lying awake again . I will defo investigate the advice re vaginal ssues but not sure what I can do about the sleep issue. Particularly as I am constantly lacking in energy.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 12:14:54 PM »

Hi girls, thanks for your advice. In answer to you both I remained off the wheat products but still bloated up on the HRT. I had always been a good sleeper up until menopause. During g menopause I would be wide awake until sometimes 5am. When I eventually get to sleep I sleep well. HRT enabled me to get to sleep at a reasonable time and remain asleep , however, off the HRT I am back to lying awake again . I will defo investigate the advice re vaginal ssues but not sure what I can do about the sleep issue. Particularly as I am constantly lacking in energy.

I have found sleep issues are one of the last symptoms to improve when taking HRT. Is it possible to try a different HRT?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 12:59:03 PM »

Lacking in energy can be due to thyroid function issues or low VitD levels.

Bungo

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 04:11:47 PM »

What hrt are you on? Also have awful bloating since started, had it on and off prior to starting but it's pretty much every day now. From 2 or 3 I look 7 months pregnant. Am very lean in general so it's very annoying as belly is so distended after eating. Am on utrogestan and oestrogel. My gynae reckons it's the utrogestan but I'm not sure.

JoDo63

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 01:33:26 AM »

Hi I'm on Femoston Conti. I too am quite slim and felt I'd put weight on particularly in the stomach are but didn't realise how bloated I felt until I came off HRT. Felt much healthier and as a bonus list weight very quickly.  Am 1/ 2 stone lighter over a matter of days !

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »

Morning.  What will you do moving forwards?  Has the excema eased any?

Bungo

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 10:07:49 AM »

For me it was the Utrogestan that caused the bloating. I hated it.
What did you change to? I really want to be on the microniosed progesterone but don't know if can live the rest of my days looking 6 months pregnant from noon on!

JoDo63

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 08:22:51 PM »

Hi all. Sleep seems to have settled now and so has vaginal dryness. My GP has prescribed a pessary but don't know if I ll actually need it. In answer to CKD my skin has remained less inflamed since avoiding wheat so dont think it was the HRT?  Don't think I ll be going back on the tablets.....

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 09:15:25 PM »

Hi all. Sleep seems to have settled now and so has vaginal dryness. My GP has prescribed a pessary but don't know if I ll actually need it. In answer to CKD my skin has remained less inflamed since avoiding wheat so dont think it was the HRT?  Don't think I ll be going back on the tablets.....

I am so pleased your sleep has improved along with the vaginal dryness. I would use the pessary just to ensure the VA does not flare. VA needs treating for life sadly or it comes back.

flutterby

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 04:21:15 PM »

Re eczema I was having lunch with the ladies I used to work and the topic came up as one of the ladies had been advised by the nurse to use Head and Shoulders as a body wash on the affected areas. It really helped her.
Just thought I’d pass this info on
Flutterby x

JoDo63

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 10:26:30 PM »

Thanks for that tip. Might give it a try. My excema is drill very troublesome despite voiding wheat and HRT. Really getting me down.