Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Period Frequency in Peri  (Read 1231 times)

CharlieAngel

• First Flush
Period Frequency in Peri
« on: February 12, 2023, 05:11:19 PM »

Hello  :)

I'm 48 and in Peri, I've been on HRT since May 2022.  I just wanted to ask what frequency your periods are?  I'm usually 26 - 34 days.  I had a light bleed 14 days after my period back in July 2022, I put this down to only been on HRT a few weeks.  Since then pretty normal.

I now have the occasional period at 21 - 23 days, this happens every few months.  I had a period on the 31st January and I've just noticed a bit of blood this afternoon. Does anybody else experience periods 2 weeks apart? I'm not sure if this is to be expected or if I should be worried.  I tried to google it and it said less than 3 weeks you should see your gyny!

I do suffer with UTI's and am not feeling too good at the minute, I can't even tell yet if it was blood in my urine or vaginal.  I did a quick dipstick test on my urine and it didn't show for blood.  My health anxiety is not great these days (mainly caused by UTI's) so any change freaks me out.

Any advice or just to hear your experience would be gratefully appreciated xx

Booroo

Re: Period Frequency in Peri
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 05:48:27 PM »

Hi welcome to the show!
It may well be atrophy causing problems I had utis which weren’t and since being on local oestrogen it’s improved big time. Phone and ask for treatment

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 05:50:27 PM »

Hello, I’m nearly 47 and first noticed changes to cycle length 3-4 years ago (shorter cycles by 6 or 7 days to the usual). Nowadays I often get cycles of 16, 18, 21 days. My periods have also been gradually getting longer in duration and the last two lasted 10 days though are much lighter than they used to be. I have also had 35 days/missed altogether in the past six months.

I am going to see GP in a weeks time to check that it’s all OK but from what I’ve read it’s normal for this stage.

HTH

Vanilla

Cara999

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 05:55:32 PM »

Hi I'm 47 and for the last 7 years my period comes when it feels like it 🙈 for the first few years they came every 2 weeks for a while and now I can miss a month. I'd say its completely normal but get it checked, it will make you feel better xxx

CharlieAngel

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 07:17:51 PM »

Hi welcome to the show!
It may well be atrophy causing problems I had utis which weren’t and since being on local oestrogen it’s improved big time. Phone and ask for treatment

Sadly I know I definately have UTI's, I wish I didn't it's just awful. I have tried local oestrogen but it didn't help.  I am seeing a pelvic floor physio and she said I don't have vaginal atrophy and if I don't feel any benefit I should stop so I did.  I'm glad it was the answer for you and it wasn't a UTI  :)

CharlieAngel

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 07:24:38 PM »

Hello, I’m nearly 47 and first noticed changes to cycle length 3-4 years ago (shorter cycles by 6 or 7 days to the usual). Nowadays I often get cycles of 16, 18, 21 days. My periods have also been gradually getting longer in duration and the last two lasted 10 days though are much lighter than they used to be. I have also had 35 days/missed altogether in the past six months.

I am going to see GP in a weeks time to check that it’s all OK but from what I’ve read it’s normal for this stage.

HTH

Vanilla

I wish I could get to see my GP!  I've only spoken to a clinician even when I was first put on HRT.  I've had one telephone follow up since and that's it.  Anything they consider non urgent (most things - especially menopause) you'll get a text saying a telephone appointment will be made in 3 weeks time and it's nearly always a clinician not a GP.

CharlieAngel

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 07:28:40 PM »

Hi I'm 47 and for the last 7 years my period comes when it feels like it 🙈 for the first few years they came every 2 weeks for a while and now I can miss a month. I'd say its completely normal but get it checked, it will make you feel better xxx

Thanks Cara999, I don't want to overthink it but it's so hard making sense of all the never ending changes and when I've got other stuff going on anything new sort of puts me in overdrive.  I will probably attempt to contact my GP but I already know what will happen.  With the state of the NHS just now I wish I'd have gone to a private menopause clinic, very expensive and shouldn't have to but it's the only way to actually speak to anyone regarding concerns.  I'll be glad when I've gone through the menopause, can't come soon enough for me!

VanillaLover

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 07:36:01 PM »

I changed GP as my old one was only ring on the day, big practise so never saw the same person twice etc. I am now with a small one near my house that has lots of pre bookable appointments via the NHS app ….never actually been to them yet though so fingers crossed!

I was referred to an NHS menopause clinic last year though (and spoke to consultant) so they can’t really argue with the actual HRT prescribing bit hopefully. More that I just want advice over the looooong periods.

Shouldn’t say this (touch wood) but last six months I have hardly got any period pain….which is such a relief. All my life they’ve been heavy and dreadful pain. Now it’s more of a grumble/twinge. So I’m bleeding a lot of the time but it’s not troublesome any more (double touch wood)

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 11:15:34 PM »

Hi CharlieAngel. Strange bleeding patterns can happen during peri as often your own cycle overrides the HRT cycle. What were your periods doing before you began HRT and which type are you on?

Health anxiety can make everything seem so much worse but, on here, we do understand and will help where we can

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 09:49:43 AM »

CharlieAngel - and breathe.  Urine infections can only be diagnosed in a lab., a fresh urine sample is sent to 'grow' any specific bugs which can be treated with appropriate antibiotics.

Vaginal atrophy mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really well.  If you get some VA treatment : 'vagifem', 'ovestin' : symptoms should ease quite quickly.  The idea is to insert into the vagina every night for 2-3 weeks or until symptoms ease, then as necessary: usually every 3rd and 5/6th nights.  However, many require nightly application along with a moisturiser.

You have nothing to lose by trying VA treatment which may ease your worries.  All these aches and pains in The Change can take up a lot of head space  >:(

ocallagd

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 06:36:39 PM »

Merina coil. Took me ages to have one.  Advice from lovely people on here. Wish I’d done it before. Suffered too long

Slinks27

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 08:29:51 PM »

Mine are all over the place and I'm 46 and it's been happening for around 4 years on and off.  Back end of last year cycles were longer and even missed December, then last 2 20 days, then 17 days although not as long bleeding. I find my body doesnt know where the hell it is at the moment and constant symptoms. Ive had ultrasounds, swabs, examinations all ok. I would worry too much but all the same get checked out xx