Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I stay or should I go now -So I stopped HRT and this is my outcome  (Read 1615 times)

Madeline

Hi folks..

Ok Im really just not doing well on hrt. I have been on it 2 years now. aged 50 and bloods showing post meno now even though I had a bleed 6 months ago.

Usually 2 pumps oestragel and utrogeston 11 days pm vaginally 1 tablet only 100mg.

I am very sensitive to all drugs this I know, and I am intolerant to progesterone, even my own progesterone (bring out a rash on my body every month)

SO main reasons for going on it-

Waking at 4 every night (insomina)
Hot flushes- but not sweats.
Crippling anxiety- constantly worrying about nothing
Big stomach bloat, irregular periods
Very emotional- feeling like Im going crazy and everyone else around me thought it too.

So HRT fixed all these things along with joint aches which I didnt realise were menopause caused.

BUTTTT no 2 years on, I am not peri anymore and bloods and doc have said Im post meno.

I have felt like my symptoms have been creeping back in so decided to up my oestrogel gel to 3 pumps instead of 2 . I did this for 4 days and became a over emotional wreck with an appetite of a starved person  :o . I could NOT stop eating... :o

So today I have decided after alot of towing and throwing with HRT, 2 years later and possibly post meno to stop HRT.

Yesterday I took only 1 pump of oestragel, I will do the same today.
My sleep was erratic last night but not too bad.
My ferocious appetite has gone thank goodness, I have gained 1 stone since starting HRT mostly up a cup size, hips and tum so do not want to gain anymore. ;D

My main reason for trying to quit HRT tbh is progesterone, I feel so so bad on it, depressed angry, really I become a horrible person. The kids leave their shoes/clothes thrown on the ground, usually Id pick them up but during these 11 days of progesterone I would go through them for a shortcut,  ??? I just don't want to be this person.

So I'm just wondering if there is ANYONE out there like me that gave it up and how it worked out for them.

love to allxx

« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 05:37:47 PM by Madeline »

sheila99

Re: Should I stay or should I go now
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 11:37:17 AM »

If you decide you can't live without hrt you could use a 6 week cycle which gives you more time without progesterone. It's what I do. And perhaps 2.5 pumps might have been your optimum dose.
There's no way I'm stopping HRT, every time I try to reduce my symptoms return. From previous reports on here some people are fine and others find all there symptoms return. I hope you'll be OK.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 11:41:13 AM »

Hi blood tests won’t show you are post meno, especially when you’re on hrt .

The only way to know if you need hrt is to stop taking it and see what happens. x

Madeline

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 11:46:42 AM »

If you decide you can't live without hrt you could use a 6 week cycle which gives you more time without progesterone. It's what I do. And perhaps 2.5 pumps might have been your optimum dose.
There's no way I'm stopping HRT, every time I try to reduce my symptoms return. From previous reports on here some people are fine and others find all there symptoms return. I hope you'll be OK.

Thank sheila99. That's interesting 6 week cycle. I must look into that. I have mentioned to my Meno Consult about a hysterectomy but she wasnt adverse to. I just cannot stomach that hormone.

I will monitor myself over the next few weeks and see how I go..thank you for you reply. xxx

Madeline

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 11:49:24 AM »

Hi blood tests won’t show you are post meno, especially when you’re on hrt .

The only way to know if you need hrt is to stop taking it and see what happens. x

Thanks for your reply dotty.

I'm not sure he just said my bloods were 127 and usually post meno would be 133.

I have only had 1 period in a year so hopefully I'm getting close.

Its a minefield isn't it...

xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 12:08:26 PM »

You are not out of peri-menopause yet.  We are advised to go at least 12 months without a bleed = menopause.  However, Nature as well as medication can cause intermittent periods.  Once you had a bleed 6 months ago, you need to start counting from 1  ::)

Many are sensitive to progesterone.  A hysterectomy is major surgery and you may well need HRT after .......... however.  Have a lookC at 'hystersisters' support group?  Let us know how you get on.  We are at an age when we don't want to feel ill but to be able to Get On!

Madeline

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 05:47:41 PM »

You are not out of peri-menopause yet.  We are advised to go at least 12 months without a bleed = menopause.  However, Nature as well as medication can cause intermittent periods.  Once you had a bleed 6 months ago, you need to start counting from 1  ::)

Many are sensitive to progesterone.  A hysterectomy is major surgery and you may well need HRT after .......... however.  Have a lookC at 'hystersisters' support group?  Let us know how you get on.  We are at an age when we don't want to feel ill but to be able to Get On!

Thank you CLKD I will google hystersisters, the joys of getting old xxx

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 07:24:43 AM »

Hi Madeline. Do you mean you've only had one bleed in the last year on a sequi regime? If so did you used to get regular withdrawal bleeds?

I agree with Dotty that you have no way of knowing where you are in menopause unless you stop HRT to see what happens. This is not something I'd like to do as, like Sheila, each time I've stopped (reluctantly) symptoms have returned.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 08:45:51 AM »

Also, the dose of progesterone might not be sufficient to allow a bleed - in which case the lining might be getting too thick, though in this case you would possibly get erratic breakthrough bleeding. Difficult to say. I understand about not liking progesterone! I am on a long cycle - have been on a 6 week cycle for some years but I do take the licensed progesterone dose ie 12 days of 200 mg (vaginally) and even so my lining is thickening.... Hope you manage to sort this out soon

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 09:40:14 AM »

You can't tell if you are into menopause !  Blood tests won't be accurate enough.  Medics can advise but they aren't often correct as each lady is different. 

MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be of use.  Let us know how you get on.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 09:51:07 AM »

'alternatives' may ease symptoms initially but are not recommended for long term use, especially if 1 is taking prescribed medications.  They are not recommended by NICE. 

Madeline

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 01:53:03 PM »

thank you girls for taking the time to response to me.

One of you asked if I have end of cycle bleed on progesterone no I don't bleed at all. I am due to get a scan trans vag one this month. This is my 2nd scan as i cant stomach 200 mg utrogeston every month.

I will look into the tibolone poppytoast, thanks.

I am on 1 pump of oestragel atm and tg am feeling ok apart from extreme tiredness. It will be interesting if my symptoms return.

thank you all again xxx

Madeline

Re: Should I stay or should I go now -stopped HRT and here is the outcome-
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 05:36:58 PM »

Hi girls,

Just thought I would come on and let you know how I am feeling after stopping HRT. I found it hard to find these posts as when people successfully stop HRT they don't tend to return to forums.

So It took probably 2 weeks for the intense brainfog I had since stopping hrt to go but I can honestly say it was the BEST thing I have ever done in stopping.

I feel like me again. An older me but me again, ......Happy!! I was constantly wired and tired on hrt.

Its only being off it I realise what a witch I was on it. Intolerant to everything in my life even my kids. Everything irritated me, no matter how hard I tried to be happy, I just cldnt lift this anxious on the edge feeling I had all the time. I thought I felt my worst on progesterone but now being off it I can see I actually felt bad all the time.

None of my symptoms have come back so far, I'm aware that could change but for now I'll take it .

So my advise is if you are unsure to stay or go, come off all hormones and see where your body is at, you might be surprised and you can always return to HRT if you feel worse off it.

Best of luck to you all x

Flossieteacake

Thank you for this update Madeline. It is so good to hear you are feeling happy again. :)

sheila99

I'm so glad it's worked for you, long may it continue. It just shows how different we all are, I was the intolerant witch before I started hrt, definitely more laid back now I'm on it.
Pages: [1] 2