Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Blood pressure monitor  (Read 2460 times)

Turtle 59

Blood pressure monitor
« on: February 27, 2023, 08:57:19 AM »

Hi, is there anyone out there who hates the blood pressure monitor. I have to monitor my blood pressure before I visit the doctor but I am having real problems. I seem to have a phobia with the machine. If my first reading is reasonable I seem to be OK. But if the first reading is high then I get into a Catch 22 situation, I just can't seem to relax to get my pressure down it just keeps increasing. Then it just plays on my mind all day and night. I can't seem to take the positive of some days having good readings I just play on the negatives.
Can anyone one help/advise.
This is just ridiculous. I take no medication. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Blood pressure monitor
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 09:10:43 AM »

Buy your own machine.  My husband, a calmer person you are unlikely to meet, has White Coat Syndrome.  Our GP advised many years ago that we buy a machine from Boots, take his BP at the same time each morning B4 eating and jot down the results.

Job done.  Why do you feel that you need 2 measure?  I too won't attempt the 1 in the surgery 'cos people are watching  >:(

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 10:51:03 AM »

Goodness you have just described me and the dreaded monitor that we have, I go into complete meltdown just looking at the dreaded thing.
It's totally irrational but it seems anxiety just gets out of control when it wants to, I don't know what the answer is, I wish I did!

Turtle 59

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 11:47:33 AM »

Hi CLKD, like you I have my own machine. No way would I do it at the surgery, it would be sky high. Due to it being bsky high when I visited the doctor for a Well Woman check, she has asked me to monitor it at home. Take readings twice a day, three readings each time and take an average. And when I mean it was sky high in the doctor's it was. Think I suffer as your husband does but then get anxious if the reading isn't low so work myself up more. :-\

Songbird

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 12:15:27 PM »

Hi Turtle 59. I know exactly what you mean. I am the same. Going for my annual HRT check has sent me into near meltdown so I send readings in from home. I keep clear of my own BP monitor (don’t think about it at all) until it’s time for my review. I will “prepare” by listening to a relaxation session on YouTube (specifically related to lowering BP). I’ll take 3 readings twice a day for 3 days, submitting the lowest reading each time. I’ll also tell myself that it’s no problem if my GP decides to put me on a low dose BP med (as I know I’ll still be able to get my HRT). The problem I had, initially, was that I thought they would drop the HRT if I developed hypertension. This is not the case so, for me, I’m a bit more relaxed about it.
One final thing (and this isn’t for everyone!) if I feel I am suffering from a hike in BP, I take a glass of beetroot juice for 3 days on the trot! It’s rotten  :sick02: but, for me, it feels as if my BP has dropped again..
Try not to get yourself in knots about doing the reading - distract yourself and avoid the temptation to keep taking it! That’s never a good thing..  :bighug:

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 12:39:43 PM »

Best of 3 at the same time of day.  You haven't had symptoms yet so there probably isn't much amiss ;-).

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 02:51:18 PM »

I always have White Coat Syndrome at GP but recently developed it with my home monitor ::)  Solved it by practicing slow breathing and calm thoughts, took a lot of practice! Also took BP several times each day, didn't pay a lot of attention to readings and over a week they came down. I now leave BP monitor out in view and hoping it becomes my friend ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 03:21:45 PM »

You worry!  Sometimes I don't register on ours  :o  :D

Turtle 59

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 05:46:52 PM »

Songbird, can you let me know what you listen to on YouTube please.
Thanks  :)

Songbird

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 05:52:50 PM »

In YouTube, Type in “hypertension and hypnosis close your eyes”. It lasts about 25 minutes.  :)

Turtle 59

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 06:32:51 PM »

Thanks  :) :)