Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Will Mirena help with low mood  (Read 555 times)

JoP

Will Mirena help with low mood
« on: February 10, 2023, 12:36:07 PM »

Hi
I hope someone can help me. I am new to all of this.
I am 50 years old and started on HRT in October 2022. I am on Evorel patches and Utrogestan
Within days I was fine. And felt like my old self. Then over Christmas I started having  night sweats and early January I started spotting. I called the doctors and they changed my patch from 50 to 75. The night sweats stopped and I started to have severe PMT symptoms. Low mood, anger, crying all over nothing. And generally when at work.
I called the doctors yesterday and they wanted me to be signed off with anxiety and depression. And prescribed me antidepressants. Which I don’t really want to take if I can help it. I feel that I am certainly not depressed.
I have been spotting/bleeding for a month now and feel it is like I have PMT.
The doctor said that the Utrogestan doesn’t affect moods etc. but I have read that it can.
I guess what I want to know is has anyone else had this problem?
Would I be best to try the Mirena Coil?
Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance xx

Perinowpost

Re: Will Mirena help with low mood
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 07:32:32 PM »

The doctor is wrong utrogestan can cause mood issues. The problem is many of them don’t know enough about hrt.

You don’t say how much utrogestan you are taking. If you are taking it every day (continuously ) it may be that this is too much for you. You could try taking it sequentially and that way you get a break from it.

The mirena can also cause mood issues as it is continuous progesterone and as such is too much progesterone for many. It certainly was for me and I had to have mine removed for that reason. It is basically down to if you have progesterone intolerance.

There are lots of threads on this if you type in the search inbox at the top of the page.

Sorry you are feeling like this and hope you feel better soon x