Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anyone trying Gina tablets for vaginal atrophy?  (Read 3055 times)

Gill67

Anyone trying Gina tablets for vaginal atrophy?
« on: February 18, 2023, 04:38:16 PM »

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone here is using Gina tablets that you can buy over the counter, and if so, how are you finding it?
Thinking of trying it as I've been noticing some some symptoms of VA- no dryness, but I can't have penetrative sex, it's too painful. it's like I've closed up a bit inside and can't stretch any more (sorry if TMI). I'm due to go for a smear test soon and I'm worried about the speculum. Smear tests never bothered me before.

I'm currently on Evorel 100 patches and utrogestan tablets, been on these for 3 months and this is working well for my other menopause symptoms.

Ayesha

Re: Anyone trying Gina tablets for vaginal atrophy?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 04:56:27 PM »

Gina is the same as Vagifem which is prescribed for Vaginal Atrophy.
Best advice I can give you is do a search on here for vaginal atrophy, tons of information here.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 07:52:55 PM »

You should be able to get Vagifem and/or Ovestin cream from your GP surgery by telephone appointment. It would be advisable to start these well before your smear test. When you do go for the smear, get them to use the smallest speculum.
JP x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 08:22:25 PM »

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone here is using Gina tablets that you can buy over the counter, and if so, how are you finding it?
Thinking of trying it as I've been noticing some some symptoms of VA- no dryness, but I can't have penetrative sex, it's too painful. it's like I've closed up a bit inside and can't stretch any more (sorry if TMI). I'm due to go for a smear test soon and I'm worried about the speculum. Smear tests never bothered me before.

I'm currently on Evorel 100 patches and utrogestan tablets, been on these for 3 months and this is working well for my other menopause symptoms.

It is not too much information at all so please feel free to speak openly. Most of us will get VA and it is best to try localised oestrogen. I think it is worth buying Gina until you can get a prescription from your own GP just for quickness. With VA you can get a watery discharge and this feels like we are not dry but we may be dry inside. I have found using vaginal moisturiser very helpful too. Yes and Sylk are both popular ones.

I would try Gina and use it every single day but also ask your GP for a prescription of Ovestin because this is a cream and therefore can be applied to the outer area. Hopefully your GP will give you a pessary as well as a cream as both can target different parts of the VA.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I would avoid having sex until you feel some improvement as the friction will add to the soreness.

Like Ayesha said, there are a lot of threads about VA on here and you will find a lot of great tips.

It is so nice to hear the HRT is helping with your other meno symptoms. :)

Gill67

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 06:19:41 PM »

Hi everyone,
Just had a chance to read replies, and wanted to say thank you all for replying- you've all been very helpful.

I didn't know that VA could give you the impression of not being dry, but you actually are dry further up inside-you learn something every day! I think I will have to ask my GP about having the local oestrogen on prescription, I looked up Gina and it says you can't buy it unless you've previously been given local oestrogen on prescription in the past- seems a bit daft to me, what's the point of making something available over-the-counter if you can't have it unless you've already had scripts for it?  :-\

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 06:58:00 PM »

That is daft. I had no idea you could only get Gina if you had already used localised oestrogen. I thought the point of buying Gina was to avoid having to get a GP appointment in the first place. I hope you can get a prescription from your GP soon. Hopefully you can just send a message as you do not need an examination so I do not think an appointment is necessary.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 08:02:35 PM »

It's one hurdle after another it seems! 

I don't know whether this link will work but it's a pharmacy checklist of questions that they have to ask before you can buy Gina, I suppose it's there to protect us from ourselves!  ::)   

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1051493/Pharmacy_Checklist.pdf

I remember buying Ovestin from Superdrug online pharmacy with just a few questions asked!! 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:04:36 PM by Ayesha »

Gill67

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 10:06:35 PM »

Thanks Ayesha, that's really helpful.

After reading the info in the link, I realised I misread the info on the GINA website-you CAN buy Gina OTC if you've never used vaginal oestrogen before, as long as you're not on HRT. If you're on HRT, pharmacist should refer you back to GP to check suitability. So that makes sense. I'm on HRT so i'll have to see my GP before I can buy it-so I may as well ask for something on prescription, as that will be free for me. (I'm in Wales, we get free scripts)

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 02:31:15 PM »

How wonderful to have free prescriptions, in England we have pharmacists concerned about the growing number of patients refusing parts of their prescriptions or not collecting them due to the cost of living crisis. People are instead asking for a cheaper over the counter equivalent.
Cost of a prescription is £9.35 which if you have to have more than one medication it can become very costly.
Why we in England have to pay when in the rest of the UK prescriptions are free, it somehow doesn’t feel fair or right!

As for HRT meds I believe in England there is going to be a one-off yearly fee sometime this year………, when they get round to it!