Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stomach/digestion problems - is this menopause?  (Read 8389 times)

Waterfloof51

Re: Stomach/digestion problems - is this menopause?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2023, 05:24:50 PM »

Ha, food intake - well then, now you’re  asking CKLD. The standard day. looks roughly like this....Breakfast; Gluten free porridge and fruit, lunch: salad leaves, beetroot, nuts, evening; gluten free pasta, small amount of sauce, but I’ve skipped the first two meals for several days. There are variants sometimes.  Interesting what you say about fats though and helping digestion.  I’ve actually spoken to a nutritionist who has given me a whole load of dietary advice around Candida and reducing bad bacteria/increasing good with a much broader range of food than I’ve listed.  Just need to make the effort to cook some of it....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 07:14:18 PM »

Does the nutritionist sell products  :-\

Why are you missing meals?  That will not help your over all body health and if the gut hasn't anything to work on, then there will be a gap.  As a recovering anorexic who almost stopped eating = my gut spasms failed, I now have to eat little and often.  I am fussy as I enjoy foods for months then suddenly 'go off' i.e. pizza for lunch.  Every day for 2 years ..... then YUK! 

The body needs fuel to remain healthy.  A good regime can aid sleep, bodily healing, stamina, preparing the immune system.  I must eat B4 my body requires energy or I get very very nauseous = stop eating.  :'(

Waterfloof51

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 09:02:09 PM »

Hi CLKD,

I have a friend  who is experiencing digestive difficulties now after being extremely ill with anorexia in her 20s - three decades ago. It was her that suggested trying the nutritionist, who she absolutely swears by when going through a patch of digestive problems. I’ve just been too tired to take on board all that was advised and a loss of appetite seems to have crept in to the mix.  The nutritionist  (a route I would have been rather sceptical about before this) had a lot to say about historical stomach problems and the on-going effects later. I didn’t find there were any mind-blowing revelations as such but it did clarify a couple of things.  A lot of emphasis on gut flora problems and inflammation for me personally.  Is it something you’ve tried before?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »

Morning.  I found that when I drank 2 bottles of Actimel daily, my bowel behaviour improved.  When we were away on holiday without a fridge and I didn't drink them, my bowel slowed up.

I have also had problems with fizzy drinks as well adding ginger to our meals (well, Hubby is the Chef ;-) ).  Causes me to develop an irritating cough by day which is associated with reflux. 

Anorexia now strikes when there is upset ........ or I get overwhelmed with anxiety.  Someone shouting in the road, nowt to do with us, can set off the 'not being able to eat' habit  :-\

Ellen May

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2023, 09:28:19 PM »

Hi, yes absolutely all of the symptoms you describe are related to menopause, I’ve had and still have at times every single symptom you listed , when peri first hit me it was stomach issues that began first which lead to severe health anxiety so bad I became house bound was convinced I had bowel cancer, as one problem eased a bit a new one would show up then more and more got added to my list of symptoms until I had so many symptoms it became overwhelming, over the last few years some things are much better some come and go some never came back , in those early days of peri I had no idea of what was happening to me so I went on anti depressants and it worked wonders and I felt pretty normal I also had CBT , I came off them and remained alright until everything started all over again with the same pattern, I started hrt at this point because I knew why I felt the way I did , since then it’s a pattern of some days are good and some are bad but im so much better than I was hoping the further into menopause I get the less symptoms I will have , but it really is normal for a lot of us to get a huge amount of symptoms I wrote all mine down and I once had 34 different things going on at the same time which of course plays havoc with health anxiety , have you tried anti anxiety meds or hrt ? Hrt hasn’t been a miracle cure for me but it’s definitely helped me to function better, but be reassured that the symptoms you have is common in menopause, I was naive and thought menopause was periods stopping and hot flushes I had no idea of the hell I was entering when peri menopause started , don’t be afraid to ask your doctor for help if you are struggling with anxiety, I really feel for you it’s such a tough time and the constant symptoms really do mess with our minds but what you are experiencing is normal and things do get better, sending you very best wishes and hope you find relief soon xx

Exactly how I have felt through this too. Such a similar story to mine!

Waterfloof51

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2023, 02:59:55 AM »

Morning.  I found that when I drank 2 bottles of Actimel daily, my bowel behaviour improved.  When we were away on holiday without a fridge and I didn't drink them, my bowel slowed up.

I have also had problems with fizzy drinks as well adding ginger to our meals (well, Hubby is the Chef ;-) ).  Causes me to develop an irritating cough by day which is associated with reflux. 

Anorexia now strikes when there is upset ........ or I get overwhelmed with anxiety.  Someone shouting in the road, nowt to do with us, can set off the 'not being able to eat' habit  :-\

It takes a while to realise what food is actually the problem, and it sometimes seems quite random - you’d have thought ginger would be beneficial!

Sorry to hear you’re still experiencing the anorexia lurking beneath the surface and waiting to be triggered. It can’t help when such a huge focus has to be diet and what you eat all the time because of all the issues.

Something else I tried that I’d never have even contemplated 3 months ago is guided sleep meditation  (it was a desperate times, desperate measures scenario!) - I found one that focuses specifically on digestion and found it really useful - talks about the link between physical digestion and processing emotions etc. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-zRahZjK-g&t=334s. Might not be for everyone but I’d been getting up and walking around the street about 4 times every night going crazy with insomnia and stomach acid problems - on night one of listening to this, I stopped doing it and although still not sleeping, far less agitated and acid reduced.
Pages: 1 2 [3]