Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stomach/digestion problems - is this menopause?  (Read 8376 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stomach problems - very worried and not coping.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 06:28:47 PM »

I found that too  ;D.  I've replied, don't worry too much.  We're all friends here ;-).

Is there a particular time of day when these symptoms are worse/better?  My slow transit varies  >:(  ::) ...........

Apart from VA treatment I don't take HRT.

When we don't get sustenance then our energy levels will drop so stop beating yourself up!  Add to that hormonal issues  :(

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 06:49:29 PM »

Hi Waterfloof. I'm pleased you have an endoscopy and scan booked as it's obvious that you are feeling really worried and in lots of discomfort. Do you know how long you have to wait and what instructions have you been given about stopping any digestive medications before the endoscopy? I too have a hiatus hernia diagnosed by endoscopy. My symptoms were reflux, lump in the throat, burning when drinking hot drinks (ulcerated oesophagus) and bloatedness. I know it's really difficult but try not to worry too much as stress does make stomach problems feel much worse.

Taz x

Waterfloof51

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 06:52:20 PM »

Thank you Flossieteacake,  that’s really helpful about the sudden onset of your symptoms. I’ve been on omiprozol and gaviscon and am currently trying diet only, with some success, but I think will try lanzaprozol depending on the outcome of the tests.  I am also considering HRT but have been hesitant after reading some stories indicating it can exacerbate stomach problems sometimes.

To be honest it’s some comfort  (although not for you!) just hearing of other’s similar problems. I had absolutely no idea this was possible in menopause - 3 months back I was very active, lots of hobbies and hadn’t ever had more than the odd day off work that I could remember. Now I can’t do anything! 

Waterfloof51

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 06:58:25 PM »

Thanks again CLKD,

I think the slow transit is partly hormonal for me as it varies through the month and the result of some  issues way back. It can be grim if it goes on for days and days (as it is at present) but I have become somewhat accustomed. 

Maybe some benevolent moderator will move this topic into the right section! I find making mistakes like this a bit excruciating at the moment. I used to have a brain but it seems to be a pile of rubble at the moment.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 07:05:08 PM »

Thank you Flossieteacake,  that’s really helpful about the sudden onset of your symptoms. I’ve been on omiprozol and gaviscon and am currently trying diet only, with some success, but I think will try lanzaprozol depending on the outcome of the tests.  I am also considering HRT but have been hesitant after reading some stories indicating it can exacerbate stomach problems sometimes.

To be honest it’s some comfort  (although not for you!) just hearing of other’s similar problems. I had absolutely no idea this was possible in menopause - 3 months back I was very active, lots of hobbies and hadn’t ever had more than the odd day off work that I could remember. Now I can’t do anything!

I am glad my post was of some comfort. One thing I have found with PPI's is if ever I stopped them all my symptoms came back. I really cannot be without them at all.

I have not heard HRT can worsen digestive issues. I have read of many who have found it helpful for low mood, including me. I understand not everybody wants to try it though. :)

Brain fog is a common meno symtom and a really horrid one. You can report this post and ask it to be moved if you wish to.

Waterfloof51

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 07:08:20 PM »

Thanks Taz2,

Sounds a little different for you, I don’t have the ulcerated oesophagus (which must have been horrible). Next week for endoscopy- was originally 5 months but thankfully been brought forward.  I’m staying off all medication until the scan and endoscopy is done, just to be sure. I also dont like ‘masking’ symptoms with medication unless I know what the problem is, so i’ll wait and see what happens.

Health anxiety is awful - very debilitating but also makes me feel rather self obsessed!

The support on this forum is so great - a real lifeline.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 07:48:17 AM »

You're amongst friends, a lot of self obsessed - we have a thread somewhere ; can't remember the title; something to do with what have we diagnosed today  ::)

Have U been offered sedation for the appt.?

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2023, 09:08:05 AM »

Thanks Taz2,

Sounds a little different for you, I don’t have the ulcerated oesophagus (which must have been horrible). Next week for endoscopy- was originally 5 months but thankfully been brought forward.  I’m staying off all medication until the scan and endoscopy is done, just to be sure. I also dont like ‘masking’ symptoms with medication unless I know what the problem is, so i’ll wait and see what happens.

I'm glad you have your appointment soon. The usual advice is to stop all acid reducing medication for two weeks before endoscopy so you've done the correct thing.

Taz x

Shellyjayne

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2023, 09:09:15 AM »

Hi
I can sympathise with your symptoms,
I have terrible stomach problems, all came on at the same time as VA (VA under control with Vagifem) stomach probs not unfortunately. All this came on suddenly and 10 years post meno, but I did feel it was related to menopause as it happened at the same time as VA, although it might not be related.
Originally on lanzoprazole 30 for reflux had been on these on and off for about three years, I am currently off them and have been for two months as I didn’t feel they were doing any good.
Symptoms- nausea, acid stomach, gurgling especially on low right side, acid pain under right rib and back sometimes, bowels pretty regular at the moment.
Have had all tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, bloods, scan, ct scan, nothing accept a little bit of diverticula desease on low left colon. Recently did a York test for food intolerance and it came back red for Cow’s milk, egg white and curry powder!
I agree with the other experienced ladies on this forum that menopause does seem to cause stomach problems for some ladies, I remember my mum having stomach probs in her later life, seems to be just another thing we have to put up with.
I am not on hrt (except Vagifem) and often wondered if it would have helped with stomach issues.

I had sedation for both my procedures, endoscopy was a doddle, that was my biggest fear, apparently it is a four minute procedure - good luck and I hope you get relief soon. Please try not to worry as others have said it definitely makes things worse. When I have a good day and the sun is shinning I nearly forget about my stomach issues, but when you have a real down day it consumes you and I think to my self how dare it ruin my day.
X

Waterfloof51

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2023, 10:40:13 AM »

Hi Shellyjayne,

That all sounds pretty grim, and compounded by going on for so long.  It’s really helpful to know that other people have had similar things as it eases the anxiety a bit - although not nice for you to have experienced it all.  I’m dreading the endoscopy and am only having a local anaesthetic , but hopefully four minutes is manageable. I would like to fast forward a few weeks to know the outcomes as I’m pretty non-functioning at the moment and I can’t tell what’s physical and what’s anxiety.  I just can’t believe how quickly and with such severity that everything came on - it seemed like it was triggered by something and then total collapse of normality in a matter of days.

If this really is just menopause, I’ve been totally naive. I’ve not even heard of the symptoms and conditions that people have mentioned. VA - I’m afraid I had to google. It sounds awful - especially added to your other symptoms.

sheila99

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2023, 10:57:01 AM »

Sorry I can't help with the issue but you can ask Emma to move the post to the Private Lives forum if you don't want it to be public. Try Report to Moderator if you can't find another way.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 11:42:15 AM »

Many are naive, including the medical profession .  Anxiety is a physical reaction.  How is your diet overall?

Waterfloof51

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2023, 12:23:12 PM »

Hi CLKD,

‘Including the medical profession ‘ - yes, I’m sensing that’s the case already! Diet, well 3 months ago my diet was ok but not great - too much fat, coffee, sugar I guess. Since then I seem to be able to eat less and less and am now on largely a sugar, gluten and dairy free diet and can only stomach water. You’d imagine the sudden influx of fruit and veg would have some effect on ‘slow transit’ but apparently not!

Waterfloof51

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2023, 12:24:17 PM »

Thanks Sheila, I’ll attempt that now!

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2023, 12:36:38 PM »

What do you eat, do share.  Fats can slow down the bowel however: the body requires sugars, dairy and fats.   Others the gut has nothing to work against = slow transit or no poo at all  :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3