Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anxiety / depression - spiralling downwards into an abyss of hell  (Read 3214 times)

MadBast

• First Flush

Hello Everyone,

My last period was about 2 years ago, aged 56. Low mood started about then and progressively worse ever since. 
Terrible anxiety started around Christmas time this year and hit me out of the blue like a ton of bricks. Sudden and real feeling of darkness falling upon me –a black cloud – as though hammer to the head and senses – immediate feeling of dread and fear!

Negative thoughts from past becoming ever more difficult to control – thoughts upon thoughts upon thoughts…with catastrophic thinking…
Anxiety has skyrocketed. Have NEVER had such an experience before – all doom and dread!!!
All seems hopeless and I feel helpless –- so totally consumed by anxiety and now depression… worried that this will have/is having a terrible effect on my family.

Had bloods done and oestrogen extremely low. Started HRT Evorel Conti 22 days ago but think I’m more anxious than ever. Hoping it will kick in soon - but worried HRT won't help.

Can it all be hormonal?  Can anybody relate to this?  I'm really at a loss!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 11:38:39 AM by MadBast »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety / depression - spiralling downwards into an abyss of hell
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 11:38:29 AM »

It can be hormonal.

However: some ladies require HRT along with appropriate anti-anxiety and/or anti-depressant medication.  Some of the latter work to ease anxiety.

MayB a short course of 'valium' to give your brain a break.  I used it successfully throughout the 1990s: 10mg 3 times a day initially for 2 weeks followed by 10mg at night; then 5mg taken the evening prior to an event that I was unable to get out of.

GPs are reluctant 2 prescribe valium for very long, due to the possibility of addiction.  However, if treated as a drug that works, you may well get relief.   I never had to take more than I required at the time.

Bachs Rescue Remedy can also help once the Valium has eased symptoms. 

Do talk to your family.  'advice for husbands' is worth while printing out from the Forum to hand over. 

I know when anxious I am unable to eat properly but little and often can ease anxiety surges.  Ring your GP today and ask for advice. 

MadBast

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 11:42:24 AM »

Thank you CLKD! - Bit worried about taking antidepressants tho, but will speak to doc as you suggest.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 11:45:47 AM »

Why.  Without taking mine morning and night, since 1989, I wouldn't get out of bed!  Also, nothing needs to be taken forever, if the HRT kicks in and you being to feel better after 6-8 months, then is the time to think whether you require them.

MadBast

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 12:02:05 PM »

Thank you - i have never taken antidepressants so that is why a bit reticent, but will definitely will speak to GP about it. Also thank you for signposting advice for husbands - will print this off.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 02:40:29 PM »

It took 3 months on HRT before my anxiety was cured, very little improvement in the first month then up and down for the next two. I think you should give it a bit longer but also be aware that the progestogen in evorel conti can cause mood problems in a few people so if you see no improvement I'd suggest switching to a sequi regime for a couple of months to see if you're better in the oestrogen only phase or else trying a different make of conti.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 03:53:49 PM »

Can U wait for HRT to kick in?

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 04:22:56 PM »

hi madblast

yes i relate to the anxiety.  constant feeling of dread its horrific.

give it time it will pass and it probably is due to low estrogen. my levels were low and when i started hrt my anxiety was horrific.

i get anxiety when i increase as well. ive been on 4 pumps of gel since nov and i can truly say my anxiety is so very much better.

get the estrogen in you take it slow and steady and you will get there.

stay connected on here and please remember you are not on your own.

in the early days something that helped was eating little and often as well.

take care xxxx

SarahT

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 08:41:33 PM »

Hiya madbast,

Just wanted to say hello and assure  that this forum gives so much support and understanding.
Am sure I am not the only one who can identify with the feelings you are experiencing. It's a scary place to be, especially when it comes out of nowhere. It took me a few months for the hrt to settle down, I have suffered hormonal mood swings my entire adult life and these
went even crazier at the start of me going on hrt last September.

I didnt think I could continue, I felt worse at first, and this forum helped pull me through, along with a great gp.

I suggest you to try to find a gp  in your surgery who takes a special interest in women's health. Please discuss the possible need for anti depressants, I have been on them previously and found them a good support. You may be able to persevere with the hrt without them, but it may help you to know they are there, one day,  if you need them,kind  of a back up plan.

However, things may indeed settle once your hrt kicks in, mine took about 3 months,  until I began to feel a bit more like the old me.
I still have wobbles, anxiety, my physical symptoms massively lessened, but my peri has always been emotionally\mental symptoms, ( happy to use word mental for myself, no offense to anyone who does not like this term) but honestly nothing like I was a few months ago, which was truly dark and overwhelming, as you seem to be feeling now.

Use this forum, full of good advice from ladies far more experienced and knowledgeable than me, but do know, plenty of us understand
how you feel and  I encourage you to continue your hrt and I say again, we can understand -  you are not on your own.

I send hugs to All

MadBast

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 10:39:09 AM »

Hello All

Thank you for all your helpful replies/advice/comments. Glad I'm not alone feeling like this - but it really is horrid!!!  - something that no one can prepare you for. 

I was told by GP to persevere with the Evorel Conti combined patch for 3 months (23rd day today) and then look at possible change of product/regime etc. She did mention anti depressants also - but first to see whether the HRT alone will help. 

Thank you for pointing out that the progesterone in the combined patch might be a problem mood-wise - I will definitely discuss.
Also helpful to know that the HRT took 3 months to work of two of you ladies - so am hopeful! 
Am very keen on the estrogen gel -  mentioned below - it seems many people have reported improved mood with this so will pursue!

Will post any developments.

Wishing you all the very best
Keep well
xxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 12:36:32 PM »

If the moods take over though  :-\.  Let us know how you get on.

MadBast

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 01:38:43 PM »

will do
x

MadBast

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 03:11:31 PM »

Dear All
Hope any horrid symptoms you’ve been suffering have lessened.

Just to say - for me - no improvement since last post - anxiety/negative thoughts worse i think. Still waiting for the HRT to kick in - coming up to one month now.

Keep well
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2023, 05:04:31 PM »

I would ask your GP for 'valium' on an as necessary basis to over-ride anxiety until the HRT kicks in.  No point in feeling ill!

MadBast

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 03:37:00 PM »

Yes - it has gone on too long. Thank you CLKD.
Pages: [1] 2