Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Sweating +++, hot flushes not so often  (Read 553 times)

millervivienne

• First Flush
Sweating +++, hot flushes not so often
« on: February 07, 2023, 08:01:04 PM »

Hi, I’m (almost) 59. Was perimenopausal for quite a few years, heavy bleeding, pain, etc. Had a bilateral oopherectomy a couple of years ago, after ablation, then division of adhesions (I had an ectopic), D&Cs, etc, and it’s been BLISS as regards no more bleeding 🩸! But of course, it brought on the menopause proper. I really tried to put up with it, as I was so relieved not to be bleeding all the time. I was trying to convince myself that’s it’s a natural process and will eventually pass. Yes, for a nurse, I’m really thick! Anyway, I simply couldn’t bear the hot flushes, especially at work. I swear, I’d run out the fire door and unzip my uniform tunic, baring all to the night sky to cool down, even in the dead of winter, (thank god I only work nights!). Also soaking wet sweats, day and night.

I KNOW many of you ladies will have had a much more traumatic time with other symptoms, and I’m so lucky not to have excessive problems with depression etc. And I live alone, so no one to snap at.

Anyway! I couldn’t bear the hot flushes so gave in and asked for HRT. After 2-3 diff options I’m now on Kliovance tabs and have been for some time. They’ve done me well as regards the hot flushes 🥵, still get them at work, but usually not outwith. Sadly it hasn’t done a thing for the sweating … well maybe fewer night sweats apart from April thru October, but I pretty much sweat BUCKETS 🪣 whenever I do anything that’s even slightly more than strolling. My hair gets soaked, and it’s short, so THAT’S attractive! And I stink within 6 hours of a thorough shower and using ‘48hr’ deodorant. I’ve tried prescribed deodorant but you can’t use it everywhere. I’m so embarrassed as I work with a lot of young staff, and 1/2 of them are men too, so they could never understand. I sweat EVERYWHERE. When I stand up from a leather/vinyl chair I leave a damp mark😳, and that WITH a pad on.

So, apart from that, I’ve been bleeding for the past 2(ish) months. I’m having a biopsy and D&C in 10 days, so that’ll hopefully sort that out one way or another, but I guess I’m asking the impossible in wondering if any of you have found a solution, holistic or medical for this disgusting sweating. I can’t even get gussied up for a night out without being drenched in sweat before I get out the door! I take cool showers and have the fan on me when I’m still wet (bloody frozen 🥶) and then getting ready, but just after I get my hair dried (cool setting) and looking nice, I start sweating like a pig 🐷 and my hair is soaked. I don’t even have time to put my makeup on before it starts, so I rarely wear makeup any more😣. I used to take great pride in my appearance any time I left the house. I feel so feeble asking for help ‘just’ for sweating but it’s really getting me down, and, to be honest, it does affect my work as I need to keep stopping heavy work every 10-15 mins to drink fluids and cool down. It’s so embarrassing to keep being asked, ‘Are you okay? You’re running with sweat’.

Okay. I’m sure that is WTMI, but any suggestions would be appreciated. My HRT was prescribed by my GP, but I have a lady gynaecologist at the mo, so if I can ask for something else, that’s be grand☺️.

Thank you for listening to me whinging.

Be Spring soon 🐑 🦆 🌷 🌼 💖 xxxxx

Mary G

Re: Sweating +++, hot flushes not so often
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 08:53:52 PM »

millervivienne, welcome to MM!

First of all, you are not alone with the horrendous sweating problem, I had it in the early stages of the menopause although I didn't have hot flushes or feel hot.

I was in my late 40s at the time and took Angeliq (an oral form of HRT) which contains the same 1mg dose of oestrogen as Kliovance with a different type of synthetic progesterone.   I'm afraid it was pretty useless and didn't even scratch the surface so I decided to go off piste and add a 50mg oestrogen patch and that did decrease the sweating to some extent but it didn't work as well as it should have.

Long story short, I switched to Oestrogel and the sweating completely disappeared within a couple of weeks.   I also used vaginal Utrogestan cyclically for the progesterone component but I didn't tolerate it well - that's a different story!

Basically, I think you probably need a higher dose of oestrogen to keep the sweats away and 1mg oestrogen is not hitting the mark.   It could be that much of it is lost in your digestive system so hormone blood tests would be helpful if possible.  If you tolerate progesterone well you could either continue with the Kliovance and top up with oestrogen (unconventional but Kliovance contains norethisterone which is a very strong synthetic progesterone) or switch to Oestrogel and a separate progesterone.   

When did the severe sweating start?   Did you suffer with excessive sweating at any point pre menopause?

I'm now 61, about 15 years post menopause and on a low dose, transdermal HRT regime.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 08:12:35 AM »

Oh you poor thing, I too had the sweating,especially if I'd to stand in a queue,I'd just feel it starting,trickling down my back,it was awful.
Not on HRT so can't advise,sorry. The one thing I used to NEVER leave the house with was my fan,not one of those silly twirly things but a rechargeable one,it blasts lovely cold air,even in summer but I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to carry one at your work? If I got a sweat before it took hold,it would go,there are also those little air con neck fans,they're quite discreet x

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 08:19:19 AM »

Sounds like you need a higher dose of oestrogen. Kliofem would be a choice.

millervivienne

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 09:56:36 AM »

Thank you so much for your replies, ladies, much appreciated☺️. I did try a diff HRT, can’t remember what it was called, oh yes, I WAS Kliofem, but the hot flushes came back so went back to Kliovance. I was always prone to sweating in hot situations, when busy working in Labour ward, on hols etc, but not my whole head as well as the usual places, lol. I used to be able to keep a nice hairstyle and never went without makeup.  Now I just look like someone’s poured water over me. I do have one of those neck fans which is brilliant and a godsend and couldn’t work without it, but only really minor relief. Doesn’t help at all when I’m really busy, sweat blinding me etc.

Anyway, after my D&C I’ll ask for hormone tests and a tweak of my HRT.

Thank you all so much again. SO appreciated💖.

Viv☺️