Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mammogram callback  (Read 2409 times)

skittles33542

• First Flush
Mammogram callback
« on: February 06, 2023, 02:23:34 PM »

Good morning ladies
Newbie here
Went for my annual gyno exam and mammogram  1/25. I got a call back on mammogram 2/2 and was told I need to go have further imaging done and my appt was set for 3/3.

Anyone else went thru this? I am in complete panic/worry mode

Any advice

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mammogram callback
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 03:04:36 PM »

Of course you will panic.  Pity that the dept doesn't let women know the reason  ::)

Lots R called back, due to the film not being clear; or that another view might be required.  U could ring the Dept and ask. 

It's not long to wait.  If there is 'something' that needs further investigation, a few weeks are unlikely to make any difference. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 03:18:14 PM »

Oh yes, worried sick, convinced it was BC. Turned out it was a cyst and the worrying was pointless. Sometimes it's just that they haven't got a clear image and need to repeat it. As it isn't til March it sounds as though they don't think it's anything sinister.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 11:03:43 PM »

Yes, this has happened 3 times to me. Each time it was that they needed a closer look as there were changes. The equipment at the hospital gives a more clearly defined X-ray. It shows they are being careful. Yes, it’s worrying, but most call backs are just caution. Have you recently started HRT? I was called back after I had started.

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 05:05:24 PM »

Yes, even got told it was cancer.

It wasn't.

A lot of breast imaging throws up false positives.  As well as that there are a number of things that need a closer look but will not be BC.  And there are some types of BC that would stay inert through a woman's life and never cause a problem but because of mammography, they are found, so have to be dealt with (just in case), but there is debate whether those even should be grouped under BC.

So there are so many possible outcomes, it's not black and white.  My doctor said to me when I was told it was BC without even a biopsy, he calmly said we must wait and see what it is first.  It wasn't BC but something benign.

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 05:09:40 PM »

By the way, I know I referred to a type of BC that they debate whether it should even be grouped under the heading of cancer, but I'm not saying it would be that.

There are numerous benign things that will show up on a mammogram, they will just need to have a closer look.   :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 05:31:57 PM »

In the same way as some women may develop slow growing breast disease after the age of 70+ and men may live with prostate cancer and not die of it.