Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Soreness in perineum area  (Read 1169 times)

Jan1976

Soreness in perineum area
« on: February 04, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »

Hi all, I am 46 and started HRT about 8 weeks ago and haven’t found it a easy process.  Started on 50mg and now have reduced to 25mg as was suffering with high anxiety (previously under control), strange tingly sensation in my legs and face and now have sore feeling down below  :( any advice please as hoping it would go away but hasn't, started two weeks ago after sex.  When I had a bloody test about six months ago my estrodiol reading was 177pmol which the doctor said was a little low ?? I’m just wandering if anyone else suffers with this and also could I be on the wrong dosage of HRT?  Will have to make a doctors appointment, but will be so embarrassed  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Soreness in perineum area
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 06:01:42 PM »

Hi!  It may be the start of vaginal atrophy.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out, including the anus and vaginal area.  Appropriate localised treatment will help.  'vagifem' and/or 'ovestin' are most commonly tried first.

No need to be embarrassed here.  Also, GPs see your types of problem regularly.  One bottom is very much like another ;-).  U can request a chaperone and don't have to undergo examination of your personal places: in the meantime, have U any 'savlon', 'nivea' or 'vaseline' to apply on the sore area a few times a day. 

Jan1976

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 06:12:10 PM »

Thank you for the reply, I have some savlon so will try that, no fun being a lady and getting older  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 06:29:08 PM »

This too will pass.  Several times a day to keep the area supple. 

Amazing grace

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 06:37:21 PM »

Hi jan1976, definitely talk to your gp as it’s probably due to low estrogen, but they may want to examine you and take swabs to rule out anything else my gp did tests first because I felt like I had thrush constantly no discharge or itching just soreness and burning but I also had constant bladder irritation too , I’d suggest you try yes vm which is a water based vaginal moisturiser which you can use internally and externally, they also do a yes ob which is oil based , you can buy them from a chemist or order online I buy it from Amazon, they will help you until you can get either vagifem or Ovestin from your doctor, you can buy Gina over the counter which is vagifem but I see from your post you are only 46 so unfortunately that’s not an option unless you have an older friend that can buy it for you , pretty ridiculous that you have to be over 50 to buy it, I’m 49 but I started ovestin at 47 , I also buy hydramol ointment to wash with and apply after a shower, best to avoid baths too , I too get heightened anxiety on systemic hrt  I can’t tolerate high doses , but because you’ve only been on it 8 weeks it may need more time to settle good luck , hope you get some relief soon xx

Jan1976

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 07:20:23 PM »

Thank you amazing graze for your advice, I will try and make a gp appointment, seem like gold dust at present.  Have been prescribed HRT with out appointment but had spoken to doctor a few months before as found a lump in my breast which thankfully was a cyst.  I have a coil fitted so no periods but haven’t ever had this before or a urine infection, wonder if it is a change in my estrogen levels as I seem to have so many symptoms since starting HRT  but want to give it 3 months as only on a low dose

Amazing grace

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 08:12:33 PM »

Hi jan1976, you are very welcome, it is very difficult getting a gp appointment which just adds to the stress of waiting to talk about what you feel is an embarrassing problem, but definitely start with some vaginal moisturisers while you wait to speak to your doctor, but hopefully once you’ve done 3 months on your patches things will settle down, and being on 25 for 3 months is a good idea to allow your body to adjust to hrt , it will then be easier to move to the 50 patch if you need it, start low and go slow is the very best way to start hrt , my doctor started me on a 50 patch and I too dropped to a 25 for 3 months then went to 50 I tolerated it much better that way , wishing you all the best,  things will get better xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 09:45:50 AM »

You should be able to get VA treatment by a telephone appointment with your GP, but if they want to examine you then they are being unusually thorough! (I need hardly add that they have seen it all before, and you can of course ask for a chaperone if you wish).
Savlon is not really suitable for use on the vulva, so it's best to stick to a moisturiser designed for this area. Alternatively you can use a bland emollient such as Hydromol or Epaderm.
Great advice from Amazing grace. This does all take a while to get right.

Best wishes,
JP x