Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: No Help At All  (Read 1425 times)

Miss S

• First Flush
No Help At All
« on: February 02, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »

Went to see my nurse as I had to get my contraception injection so I went armed with everything plus the NICEE guidelines. After going through everything I was told well your hormones are changing but it’s not perimenopause. I asked if I could be referred to a menopause clinics (which she can’t do apparently only a doctor) but was told the waiting time is up to a year. Need to book another appointment with the doctor but I feel so deflated as I know what they will say. I’m suffering and no one is listening to me. Tried the private route but cut an appointment and subsequent blood tests they will carry out this is way over a grand which I don’t have! I’m going to see a Chinese herbalist as my mum swore by them when she was in the throes of her peri and menopause. I’m tired of not being listened to, ignored told I am imagining my symptoms and that I’m too young. I’m done with it all. Feeling like this for four years and I simply can’t continue like this anymore. I will no longer be seeing a traditional doctor as they are useless. Sorry for the rant but got up this morning from another night of broken sleep and can’t continue.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: No Help At All
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 09:59:27 AM »

You are being ignored at a time when you/us need support  >:(.  MayB a short note to Dr Currie for which there is a fee, jotting down your main symptoms.  Details above, there is a charge.

A reply could then be handed to your Practice Manager who can refer you to the appropriate GP.  NO ONE is too young to be in peri-menopause!  I would also ring and ask how the GP reaches that conclusion, asking for Peer Reviewed Papers - but that's me  ::)

A herbalist probably won't be able to help.  Also, alternatives shouldn't be taken long term, recommended length is 3 months then a break of 2.

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary? 

No one can imagine symptoms  :(

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 10:34:04 AM »

I am so sorry Miss S. It is so unfair you are going through this. I hoped with all the media coverage about menopause it would be easier on us when it came to being listened to. You have every right to feel upset.

I think talking to the practice manager is a good idea. They need to know their GPs are uneducated and unsupportive.

I cannot afford to go private either. Is it possible to register with another practice?

Miss S

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 01:27:09 PM »

My whole surgery has been put into special measures last year November and was asked to move but my hubby and children are registered there too. I will speak to the practice manager and see what she says but at this point I am so angry and frustrated at the whole system I need to cool off first before making that call. I have been told I am too young even though I am turning 41 in two days time. I have my food/symptoms diary and they didn’t even bother to look at it. I was told I’m too young and that’s it. It’s like talking to a brick wall and my blood tests are always referred back to and I can see the wall coming up. Brought up the NICEE guidelines and menopause hospital and still nothing. I have sciatica and the herbal treatment I received which included acupuncture and reflexology helped tremendously and I have not had pain for over three years so I know it works. If I am not being listened to then that’s my only course of action all of the media attention has done nothing to the view of the doctors and nurses I have spoken too. I am tired of dealing with people who actually think I’m making it all up. I’m tired 😤

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 02:06:00 PM »

Of course you are tired. It is so unfair and frustrating. I think it is a good idea to call the practice manager when you are feeling calmer. I really hope the call goes well. I can understand you not wanting to switch to another practice if your family are registered there.

Miss S

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 02:24:17 PM »

If the call doesn’t go well I will be going to another practice and take the rest of my family there. I will update thank you your kindness means so much x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »

If the call doesn’t go well I will be going to another practice and take the rest of my family there. I will update thank you your kindness means so much x

I think that is a very good idea. It is not worth having to go through this just for something that is your right. I wish you luck and I await your update.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 02:47:53 PM »

"I'm having a few peri-menopausal symptoms and from reading Menopause Matters and the Forum there, am aware that I am not too young to be having menopause symptoms.  Could you advise a GP in the Practice that is up2date with what ladies require in way of support and if necessary HRT or vaginal atrophy treatments?"  Then buy a copy of "Me and My Menopause Vagina" and hand over ;-).

Also ring other surgeries and ask if they have dedicated GPs or Nurse Practitioners who will discuss menopause; you could try local Pharmacists too, they may know which GPs are more likely to be on side.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 02:48:18 PM »

OH! and  :hbday: :party: :cupcake:  because by then I'll have forgotten ......

CrispyChick

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 04:38:26 PM »

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I first landed at my GP with hormonal woes 5 years ago at 41.

Whilst they did listen and try to help. The only help they could give was the pill or later, hrt, which I'm not ready for as my Estrogen is fine. So hrt was awful for me.

I eventually took matters into my own hands and paid to visit a bhrt clinic.

If you can explore other avenues - do so, I agree the fighting is very tiring. Whilst you shouldnt have to experience this, you need to put your health first and fighting is exhausting.

What are your symptoms??? Maybe some of the ladies here can offer advice. X