Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Evorel Conti patches and hair loss?  (Read 15790 times)

freya

Evorel Conti patches and hair loss?
« on: November 11, 2018, 04:31:29 PM »

Hello,

I'm post-menopausal and also suffer from ME, Fibromyalgia and IBS. I've been reluctant to use HRT for various reasons, one of which is that I've experienced a significant amount of hair loss since coming off the pill 6 years ago (when I went straight into post-menopause). I still have a lot of symptoms still, including joint pain, heat, mood swings etc. I've just had an appointment with a doctor, and she has prescribed Evorel Conti patches - a quarter twice a week for 2 weeks to begin with, then a gradual increase. I was going to start, then I looked at the side effects in the leaflet, and one of them, 'frequency unknown', is hair loss (!). I'd explained to the doctor that this was one of my real concerns if I started on HRT. Has anyone had any experience of it on Evorel Conti? Also, I'm worried about stomach problems as I have quite complex illnesses, and don't need anything else on top of them. Id'really appreciate any advice/feeback you have.

Thanks,

Freya

Hurdity

Re: Evorel Conti patches and hair loss?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »

Hi there freya - if you're worried about hair loss then Evorel conti probably isn't the best one to try as the progestogen is derived from testosterone which can have this has a side effect. Also even though you are post-menopause many do better with trying a cyclical HRT type first ( 2 weeks oestrogen only followed by 2 weeks oestrogen and a progestogen) to see how you get on with the progestogen part of the HRT. This is the bit that can cause problems in some women. If you want a less androgenic one then Femoston ( tablet) 1/10 would be a good one initially. If you don't want to take a tablet then the other alternative is oestrogen patches ( or gel) together with micronised progesterone (Utrogestan) taken 12 days per month which can be used vaginally off-lcience to minimise side effects.

Re firbo/ME - have you had other hormones tested eg thyroid and if so do you have your results? These conditions can be caused by under-treated or undiagnosed thyroid conditions, or low testosterone ( or oestrogen too) and if you start the right HRT you might find the symptoms of the syndromes disappear or are much reduced - depending on how long you've had them or if another cause has been identified? Some people expereince symptoms even while being within the official normal (untreatable) reference range.

Hurdity x

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 09:22:02 PM »

I know this is an old post but if Stellajane is still around on here i would like to ask how her hair loss is now,did it improve  after coming off Evoral Conti?
I had some hair loss and only been on EC for 5 weeks but devastated to see even more hair loss now
It has got worse in the last week, and is bare scalp from one side to the other at the back
I did say to my Dr that Evoral Conti had hair loss down as a side effect, but he said they all say that
It is the type of Progestogen that causes it apparently Northeristone
Anyone else reading this please tell me if it has happened to you
I have taken this patch off and wont be using the others,
Going to ring Dr in the morning, and see what he suggests,
He gave me steroid lotion to use and i did think it was working bu if it was it wont now
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:03:34 PM by jaycee »

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »

I know this is an old post but if Stellajane is still around on here i would like to ask how her hair loss is now,did it improve  after coming off Evoral Conti?
I had some hair loss and only been on EC for 5 weeks but devastated to see even more hair loss now
I did say to my Dr that EV had hair loss down as a side effec, but he said they all say that
It is the type of Progestogen that causes it
Anyone else reading this please tell me if it has happened to you
I think Stellajane left MM very recently.
I started Evorel Conti recently. No hair loss yet but I will tell you if it happens.

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 10:15:26 PM »

Thank you for your reply, i hope you don't have either, but it might only happen to someone who  has some hair loss already
I have read about a few ladies this has happened to on Evoral Conti, so was already a bit wary
Just the last week it has got much worse ,i had noticed what i thought were just a few stray hairs, but didn't imagine it this bad

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:02:57 AM »

Hair and the menopause :

Check out more from leading hairdresser Nelson Brown on Facebook Live and Dr Heather Currie. It's a real insight into yet another route to support women and ensure a greater understanding of what to look out for..

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »

Hi Stellajane, yes my hair is still bad, i think mine started with a lot of stress too, but also was on Livial, and put on vagifem, i didn't think it would be the livial as i had taken it previously but years ago, and been off HRT for a few years,then a couple of years started getting night sweats again, had thyroid etc tested all ok apparently

sOMEONE SAID SOMETHING TO ME JOKINGLY WHICH WASN'T VERY NICE AND IT WAS ONLY THEN I LOOKED AT THE BACK OF MY HAIR,
tHE dR GAVE ME STEROID LOTION AS MENTIONED, AND I THOUGHT IT WAS HELPING AND MY SCALP HAD BEEN VERY ITCHY AND RED, BUT HE THEN SAID]OOPS] Sorry didn't realise i still had caps on, try patches, and gave me Evoral Conti, i had red about hair loss as a side effect so told him, he said oh the Oestrogen will help it's good for hair,
Well it wasn't,i then developeed bald patches, and still have them
My daughter was also given E C when her usual Femseven Conti became unavailable,her hair is also falling out but not as bad as mine,she's devastated as she had long thick hair, and it has thinned all over

Do you still have bald patches? and is it only bad since being on E C, also does the steroid lotion help? my Dr took me off it as he said it's not working and you can't use it too much
However, i discovered on of our Drs is a hair and scalp dermatologist, so have an appointment with him next tuesday
I have no loss on the top, [well very little and not noticeable] it started from the crown down to mid hairline, and the little missing on top has happened recently and gradually
My Dr says it is not the usual pattern for female hair loss,
If you looked at me from the front you would never believe what the back is like,
Remaining hair is in good condition
If it doesn't get better i am going to have to get a hair piece or a topper, can't bear the thought
I have to wear a hat when out, wont be going anywhere at Christmas if nothing can be done
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 07:34:47 AM by jaycee »

jaycee

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »

Just realised you had replied to me before on the sudden hairloss" thread.
Do you get your steroid lotion from your Dr? i can't wair to see that dermatologist
I have been talking to a trichologist online, she thought i had hairloss on the top of my head, i sent her photo's but she also thought i had it on my hairline which i don't
She now thinks it might be telegen effluvium too
My Dr said if it stress related it should grow back, but no sign yet, i have looked at images of female pattern hairloss, and mine is nothing like that.i have had an itchy scalp again for the last few days, and last night i woke up sratching my hands to bit, just the back of my hands, nowhere else

jaycee

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 07:46:30 AM »

I have been itching on my scalp for the last few days, driving me mad, also as mentioned before, my hands itching woke me up the other night,and awake since 4-30 this morning
When you lose body hair as well as head hair, isn't that called Areata Totalis
When my itching started in the beginning every part of me was itching ,back was spotty, never had spots in my life anywhere, also down below, it was awful, but no explanation given, on this forum i think it was said it could be the start of menopause,but i am well past that post meno,
I will mention it to the dermatologist when i see him,and maybe get some answers,

Edited to add, my daughter has just callled and looked at my scalp she says it is very red, not just pink
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:39:18 AM by jaycee »

jaycee

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »

Thanks Stellajane. hope i will have a name for it too, i must have read it wrong what you said,i thought you said you had lost all body hair, [silly me forgot you couldn't have Areata totalis if you still have head hair]  just thinking about all body hair,  ::) anyway i  will mention the steroid lotion again,
I will let you know what he says
My daughter has now been given Femosten Conti the strongest one and still losing hair and having hot flushes and sweats, she was originally on Femseven Conti which suited her ,but of course not available now
What a mess this shortage of meds is, not just HRT either

Aliwinmab

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 07:12:26 PM »

Im posting on here after googling 'evorel conti hair loss' . I have noticed since using the patches (this is my third week) that after washing my hair yesterday, a greater than usual amount of hair coming out on my comb. And then, this morning, a small, bare patch on the front of my scalp was apparent. My gut feeling is to stop using the patches straight away. Other changes, I ve experienced since starting the patches are extreme fatigue during the day and very low mood. Any advice anyone? Its really getting me down.

threeemmms

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 01:51:58 PM »

Hi… I’ve been on them since June and, as daft as it sounds, I’ve been keeping my hair loss in a sentimental mug that I was given - I now have a mug full and decided today to come off my Evorel patch. My not risking anymore hair loss… I’m horrified how much I’m am losing with each hair wash.  I’m a hairdresser and it really worries me.
Big hugs lovely.

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 09:10:41 PM »

Hi… I’ve been on them since June and, as daft as it sounds, I’ve been keeping my hair loss in a sentimental mug that I was given - I now have a mug full and decided today to come off my Evorel patch. My not risking anymore hair loss… I’m horrified how much I’m am losing with each hair wash.  I’m a hairdresser and it really worries me.
Big hugs lovely.
I commented on this back in 2019 just after starting Evorel Conti. 3.5 years later and I have had absolutely no hair loss. Mine is the same as ever.