Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Been put on blood pressure tablets and feeling awful - anyone else?  (Read 1277 times)

CherryC

Hi, I had some blood pressure spikes (not sure why) but have been put on Ramapril 5mg. It's been 5 weeks now and I still feel terrible - weak limbs and very shaky/tremor.  Has anyone else had this sort of reaction?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Nope, my GP gave me Propranolol to ease anxiety surges.  My neighbour reacts really badly to it, which causes agitation.  I would ring your GP and ask to taper off.

Your GP should have explained why you have been prescribed this medication  :-\.  If it's due to white coat syndrome it may be worth while buying a home BP monitor.

Ayesha

Ramapril made me very ill, it was if I had taken poison. It gave me a horrible cough, flutters and has left me feeling as if I have the leftovers of a chest infection, I expect hayfever has made everything worse.

I do suffer with medication intolerance and if my healthy diet and exercise don't help then so be it, I am not taking any more blood pressure meds.

Joaniepat

CherryC, Ramipril made me cough incessantly. In your place I would stop the Ramipril to see if you feel any better without it. If your symptoms clear but your BP is still high, you can ask to try a different medication.
JP x

CherryC

Thank you all so much, that's really helpful to hear your thoughts and experiences - yes I have the cough also. Hoping to speak to the doctor tomorrow re tapering off and if still high after a while, to try something different.  Hating it and feel absolutely awful, so I really hope so!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Do U measure your BP at home, I can't remember  :-\ ?

Tinkerbell

I haven't tried Ramipril but was put on Amlodipine which made me feel awful, GP then prescribed Candesartan which is so much better.

CherryC

CLKD, yes I do measure BP at home - I've been having some nerve pain recently so I think the BP spikes have been to do with that. I feel the BP tablets are contributing to making me feel awful and have added a further layer of complication!
Thank you Tinkerbell, that is good to know. 

Taz2

My mum had similar problems when starting blood pressure medication but the second one she tried gave her no side effects at all. Please don't stop taking it without discussing it with the doctor first though as this can be dangerous. Have you read up on medications on the Blood Pressure site? Here's the link https://www.bloodpressureuk.org/your-blood-pressure/how-to-lower-your-blood-pressure/medications-for-high-blood-pressure/

Taz x

CherryC

Thank you for all your replies ladies.  I did manage to speak to the doctor today and he agreed a trial period off the tablets - I have to start taking my blood pressure after 3 days for a week, and if still high, they will prescribe a different tablet to try.  Fingers crossed! x